Lotus Notes e mail addresses

D

Dr Diversity

I have to transfer files from one PC to another. One of the things I need to export is the e mail addresses from Lotus Notes. I can find my way around Outlook but haven't used Notes in years.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received :)

Doc,

I work with Notes all the time.
Where are the addresses stored ? In someone's mailfile, or in an address book ?

Ian.

Thanks Ian, not sure where they are. I know that there is a folder called 'notes' with lots of files in. Beyond that I don't know, haven't gone as far as opening notes.

OK,

Chances are the stuff you want will be in Notes\Data.
If the directory is not too large, just copy everything across, that way
you shouldn't lose anything :)
If not, the local address book will probably be where they store their contacts - that will most likely be called names.nsf.
If the user has a local mail file, that will also be a .nsf file, and should have the same name as the users ID file.

eg - JBloggs.ID and JBloggs.NSF

Ian.

I hate notes.. we use it at work !! I always joke with the Lotus Developers @ work telling then that they should use a real Database (In a Oracle DBA) and not a flat file ;)

Saying that once we go to Notes 8 (Where using 7 at the moment) they could use DB2

I use notes at work as well. The easiest thing would be to copy the whole C:/Notes/Data folder like Ian said above. You have to make sure you copy the 'Notes.ini' file as well, which should be located in the C:/Notes folder. It will ask you if you want to overwrite the file which you will need to do.

Good Luck :thumbsup: (You'll need it if you are using notes. ;) )

Another one here saying how bad lotus notes is!

I used to be Domino certified .... stuffed if I like it now! Doesn't come close to a good database app and email system (seperate).

Anyway, if you hold down shift, click view and "show server names" it will show you the paths/names for all the databases in use.

But, the only good thing about Notes is its portability. As someone said above, just copy the Notes directory and all its subs and then copy the notes.ini. Put all this is the same directory structure/location as the source system and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

edit: Now this is a bit "out there" but, its also unlikely but possible that you may need to copy your hosts and lmhosts files. There is a very minimal chance that the servers your connecting to are not on your DNS server. Neither of the files have an "." extension and are just called "hosts" and "lmhosts". Take a look at these in notepad and see if you see anything similar to:

192.168.1.1 LONSERVER

The numbers and name will be diferent but any entries in there in this format may need to be copied to your new computers Hosts and LMHosts ..... these two files live in your windows\system32\drivers\etc directory. (Usualy c:\windows....) These changes are dynamic and no reboot is needed so you can experiment with these quickly to resolve any issues. When you see the server names by using the option in Notes, you should be able to look for the existance of these in your Hosts and LMhosts.

edit2: Note, the Notes.ini can actually be located anywhere on the search path. We have in the past had a lot of the Notes stuff (including Notes.ini) on a server drive. Best use the Windows Search function when trying to locate this, once you do, look in this directory and see if any other Notes files are in the same location.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom