Lottery winner has to pay ex-wife

As a rule I don't generally click on Daily Crap links, any other sources?

Reading that article, the stand-out paragraph is that they left their old home, worth £400k, to their cleaner.

Fair play :smashin:

The whole thing about settlements is completely bonkers. If I owned out right a £1m house, then met someone they would be entitled to half of it if we split up.

It should be that ex partners are only entitled to what you have amounted whilst together.

You can't beat a bit of unbiased reporting :)

'look, here's his eco-friendly house - what a guy!'

Sorry Daily Fail apologists...

The whole thing about settlements is completely bonkers. If I owned out right a £1m house, then met someone they would be entitled to half of it if we split up.

Exactly. That's the bit I can't get my head round. A similar situation for Ray Parlour. Why the hell should his ex get any of his future earnings once she's had a decent payout. The law sucks big time. :thumbsdow

would be cheaper to hire someone to 'make her disappear'

would be cheaper to hire someone to 'make her disappear'

Regardless of how much of a heartless cow the mother of his child is, I doubt he could ever do that to his daughter.

What's £2m out of the fortune he has... sure the principal of it all hurts, but it's not going to bother him too much.

Regardless of how much of a heartless cow the mother of his child is, I doubt he could ever do that to his daughter.

What's £2m out of the fortune he has... sure the principal of it all hurts, but it's not going to bother him too much.

he could give her the £2m instead, i'm sure she'd get over it ;)

I bet his accountant has swindled much more out of him while looking after the books ;)

But the greedy cow wanted 8 million. So if he had 'only' won a million and had to give her 10k that would be ok? The numbers are irrelevant; she left him.

Nothing in that story gave me the impression that we have all the facts. Doesn't take much to whip up some angry citizens with half a story...

She's not actually won anything - it was an out of court settlement. So no judgement was made? I wonder if he thought, sack it - take a couple of mill ya' misserable cow....at £56m richer, you can afford to live without the hassle.

I cant see any proper facts in any of the articles too.

Just opinions from 'insiders' or 'close pal' who say
"Wendy is a money grabbing witch who should be burnt at the steak"
:eek:

ok, i made the last bit up....:rolleyes:

If I owned out right a £1m house, then met someone they would be entitled to half of it if we split up.

That isn't the case, or not as I understand the law in Scotland anyway.
Let's say you already owned a £1million house, then met someone.
If you split up, they are only entitled to half of the increase in equity since the union.
So if you're together 5 years and the house increases in value to £1.5million, she would only be entitled to £250k.

That isn't the case, or not as I understand the law in Scotland anyway.
Let's say you already owned a £1million house, then met someone.
If you split up, they are only entitled to half of the increase in equity since the union.
So if you're together 5 years and the house increases in value to £1.5million, she would only be entitled to £250k.

But that in itself is still flawed, as it doesn't prevent gold diggers.

It should be that you have to have been together for at least x years before being able to claim anything.

Prenups are not really workable as it defies trust in relationships.

Problem is it doesn't take 'x years' to make a baby... :)

Tiger Woods Mrs hardly taught him to play golf but she walked of with about £100M. Let's be honest here, you can't blame her for having a go at the very least. Not sure I'd be so virtuous and not chase a bit of money if it meant I didn't have to worry about money for the rest of my life.

He should just get over it and think to himself, he'll have that two million back in interest easily in a couple of years. I've got a mate who was stitched up far worse than him in the grand scheme of things.

But the greedy cow wanted 8 million. So if he had 'only' won a million and had to give her 10k that would be ok? The numbers are irrelevant; she left him.

I never said I agree with it, all I'm saying is it's hardly going to hurt him in his pockets, plus if it's going to give his daughter a better life then I'm sure he doesn't mind too much.

Like I said, the principals are all very wrong and I don't agree with that. It's not like the guy is going to go hungry, there are thousands of other people who have been shafted in this way, sadly there are a lot of people who actually struggle to live their own life because of money grabbers, at least this guy is more than financially stable.

But that in itself is still flawed, as it doesn't prevent gold diggers.
It should be that you have to have been together for at least x years before being able to claim anything.

I think it's the best option for most, though.
Even if I own a house prior to meeting someone, it would be unusual for them not to contribute to the cost of the household in some way during the relationship.
So it would be unfair for them to have to walk away with nothing.
Half of the increase in equity since they started contributing towards the house is fair, IMO.
Of course, if they haven't been contributing towards the house costs, that's a whole different argument.....

sadly there are a lot of people who actually struggle to live their own life because of money grabbers, at least this guy is more than financially stable.

Amen to that.
Bloke in here lives in a bedsit, because it's all he can afford after maintenance payments.
Maintenance payments are fair, in principal, of course they are.
But his wife now lives with someone very well off and 'taunts' our colleague that his maintenance payments aren't needed and get spent on cars and holidays.:mad:

plus if it's going to give his daughter a better life then I'm sure he doesn't mind too much.

I don't understand why his payments have gone from £150 to £2,000 per month.

Surely the ex doesn't need to maintain the same lifestyle as him when looking after their daughter; if she needs anything extravagent he just pays for it outright.

I'd bet my morgage the child doesn't see the extra £1,850 per month, but the mother does! :thumbsdow

I don't understand why his payments have gone from £150 to £2,000 per month.

Surely the ex doesn't need to maintain the same lifestyle as him when looking after their daughter; if she needs anything extravagent he just pays for it outright.

I'd bet my morgage the child doesn't see the extra £1,850 per month, but the mother does! :thumbsdow

No and I agree, however I don't feel it's worth of such a big news story as I said in my last post there are people that have to pay above their means, this guy can easily afford this and still live the high life should he want to

She doesn't need to maintain the same lifestyle as him, of course not, but that's not my point... my point is it's not like it's going to hurt the guy, unlike so many others in this country who get little to no recognition of how shafted they get. Of course - where's the big story in that for the media eh :rolleyes:

Can we change the title of the thread? If this is an out-of-court settlement then it's not 'has to'

:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom