Lot's of techo jargon...but what is best bang for buck?

welshy

I don't understand watts, low frequency, crossover nor all the other techie stuff...all I want to know is what is the best subwoofer for movies and music for my money and room size?

I live in Bangor, North Wales, so a demo is out of the question without travelling and a home trial is out of the question. So I really need your help? I will have to just buy and hope for the best. I am looking to fill a 10ft x 15ft room with a sub for at most £650.

I know you can do it.

I have read good reviews of the MJ acoustics reference 200 for £650..any good?

Thanks,
Jon.

jagr

With your speakers you will probably need something quite meaty.. Like the BK Monolith or the SVS PB10 both around £400, But if you like the MJ Ref200 you should get a BK XLS200 for £280.

welshy

It's not that I like the MJ Acoustics ref 200, I've never actually heard it, it's just that I've read good reviews about it. But yes, I have seen the SVS PB10 being mentioned here a few times and at £400 it's even cheaper.

jagr, is this what you have?

I need some grunt to keep up with the GS20's but I'm not convinced on spending too much money :rolleyes:

jagr

I have the XLS200 and it is superb with my Kef Q1's but not sure it would keep up with your MA GS20's though...

I think as a minimum you would need a Monolith.

Thunder

Novice Member
welshy said:
I don't understand watts, low frequency, crossover nor all the other techie stuff...

Thanks,
Jon.

How did you actually manage to end up with a system of the quality you own then:confused:

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
welshy said:
It's not that I like the MJ Acoustics ref 200, I've never actually heard it, it's just that I've read good reviews about it. But yes, I have seen the SVS PB10 being mentioned here a few times and at £400 it's even cheaper.

jagr, is this what you have?

I need some grunt to keep up with the GS20's but I'm not convinced on spending too much money :rolleyes:
Don't worry the MJ will keep up.

Russell

Ekso

The pb10-1sd is currently on a powerbuy, and I think if you are luckly, the "bristol show offer" may still be avail. Call Av-sales.

welshy said:
I don't understand watts, low frequency, crossover nor all the other techie stuff...all I want to know is what is the best subwoofer for movies and music for my money and room size?

I live in Bangor, North Wales, so a demo is out of the question without travelling and a home trial is out of the question. So I really need your help? I will have to just buy and hope for the best. I am looking to fill a 10ft x 15ft room with a sub for at most £650.

I know you can do it.

I have read good reviews of the MJ acoustics reference 200 for £650..any good?

Thanks,
Jon.

welshy

Thunder said:
How did you actually manage to end up with a system of the quality you own then:confused:

From reading stuff here from experts like yourselves :thumbsup:

Thunder

Novice Member
Im no expert:D But I would recommend the SVS for a "bang for buck" bargain:)

*kev*

Novice Member
I've got a Velodyne CHT-10r, although i have nothing to compare it to it is a cracking sub and fills a room of similar size to your own extremly well. If you could match this to an SMS-1 (or any of the other subs mentioned) for digital trickery you may well have a sub which appears to be worth more than the sum of its parts.

Ian J

Banned
*kev* said:
I've got a Velodyne CHT-10r, although i have nothing to compare it to it is a cracking sub and fills a room of similar size to your own extremly well. If you could match this to an SMS-1 you may well have a sub which appears to be worth more than the sum of its parts.

With the greatest of respect, matching an SMS-1 to a budget sub like the CHT-10R is a complete waste of money which would be better spent buying a better sub to start with.

Ekso

That reminds me. Is a new sub better than an old one. It's very difficult to find comparisions.
Specifically how would the pb10 and monolith compare to servo15 , as both are ~ the same price now.

welshy

Ekso said:
That reminds me. Is a new sub better than an old one. It's very difficult to find comparisions.
Specifically how would the pb10 and monolith compare to servo15 , as both are ~ the same price now.

Yeah, good question. Has sub technology improved vastly in the last couple of years?

stevefish69

Thunder said:
Im no expert:D But I would recommend the SVS for a "bang for buck" bargain:)

Me too:D

What about keeping an eye out on the forums for a larger SVS second hand and get even more bang for your buck. Thats's what i did and i've never looked back

Steve

JimPap

Standard Member
welshy said:
Yeah, good question. Has sub technology improved vastly in the last couple of years?

I wouldn't say "vastly" in the last couple of years. I do like the ability to equalize my sub, but other than that, most the features have been available for years.

I think what probably happens is that people know something's not right with their sub and try to fix the problem by buying a new sub. In many cases, it was an installation problem that also carries over to the new sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom