1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of speaker cabling help needed!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Fat Tony, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a few questions, please help. :)

1. What's the best cheap speaker cable (max £4/m) that would suit Kef eggs (2005.2's). This is for the 3 front speakers, where I will use Kef stands & rack for centre. Is QED silver anniv. (£3/m + postage from ebay) about the best I can expect? Will it fit into the centre of the stands?

2. For the 2 rears, I need to run cable across the room & then will channel into walls. I have new fitted carpets - how do people do this or do I call a carpet layer to get them laid back down? Also do you run cable around the edge of room (longer) or do you go least distance (shorter cables, but may get people walking over them). I found below quote from Ian J - is Ixos 607 the best option or are there others?
    3. Does the length of cable of each pair of two matching speakers (fronts & rears) have to be the same?

Sorry if these appear to be dumb questions, but I did search first! :lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1: I wouldnt spend anywhere near £4/m on Kef Eggs mate £1.50/m standard 50-70 strand will be fine mate!
    3: not unless difference is HUGE! ie 1m and 20+m

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For a second opinion - I agree with Hornydragon. Many people seem to be happy with free bell wire or go OTT with stuff that is far too expensive for the partnering speakers.

I don't suppose that it matters whether you run the cable a shorter route under the carpet or slightly longer round the walls so whichever is most convenient for you.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    QED original gets a vote from this party at a max of £2.50/metre (should be less). Doesn't overmatch the speakers and it seems to last forever. It is also small and neutrally coloured. Annivesary really isn't worth it on any satellite TBH.

5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the advice on cables for the front's - I was just going by the oft quoted rule of spending 10% on cables & thought I had to pay this to do justice to the speakers.

For the rears I need flat cable to hide under carpets - any suggestions?

Also, new question - what suggestion for subwoofer cable? I was going to get the Mark Grant one based on all the good things said here (I am happy to spend that if needed).

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As you have already spotted, I use Ixos 607 flat cable for the M&K K4's that I have as rears and that is routed under my carpet.

The difference in price between a cheap subwoofer cable and Mark's isn't great and if you buy one of his, that could well be the only item of AV equipment that you will never have to upgrade.

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Ian. :thumbsup:

I think I'm sorted. :smashin:

8. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I wish you had started this thread earlier :)

I asked some people and they all said QED silver, mine are for KEF 2005.2's and it cost me £4 per metre (arrived today)

Could have probably saved myself £50.

Gary A