Lots of Questions - Help Please

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to buy my home cinema system but the size and type of display changes almost daily as I become more and more confused by what I have read.

Basically, these are my requirements:

(i) 32" or 37". Started off thinking 32" but as it is going to be wall-mounted I'm worried that it will look too small.

(ii) Wall mounted - so seperate AV box would be nice.

(iii) Detachable speakers - I'll be using a surround sound system and I want a minimal picture frame effect.

(iv) RGB input - 90% Sky and 10% DVD

(v) TV input for the odd occasion

(vi) Less than £2,500

I keep bouncing between LCD and Plasma with LCD slightly in the lead because of robustness/lifetime/burning and they have generally looked better in the shops.

My main issues are:

(a) I keep reading that Plasmas/LCDs pictures are not brilliant with Sky input because the upscaling produces fuzziness etc. To what extent is this true - I'm not the sort to anally be on the look out for artifacts but is it going to be bad, particularly compared with my current Tosh 32" flat screen CRT.

(b) The best fit that I have found is the Sharp LC37HV4E but am not sure how this rates, nor whether it is an old or new model - how does it fit in with the GA range for example.

(c) Is LCD a good choice or would I be best looking at Plasma.

Thanks for bearing with me. I appreciate that this type of question gets asked so much and I have looked through the forum already. It's a lot of money and I want to be sure that I spend it as wisely as possible.

Cheers,

Nigel

32" is better value for money, but if you can afford a 37" LCD, get that. Imo, as long as you have a good video source, LCD gives you much nicer picture quality.

As you want a 32/37" display, LCD seems like the best option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom