1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of DIY questions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mike Swannick, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help or opinions with the following would be good.

1. Can anyone recommend an online/mail order supplier for light fittings. The bigger the range the better, ie more than the styles stocked by 'popular' demand.

2. Can flourescent tubes be dimmed with an auto controller like a Lutron?

3. DIY painted screens. Any special preperation? Method of application (brush or roller)? Type & colour of paint? How do you ensure a good smooth, flat finish? Image quality?

4. I read somewhere in these forums that building a dedicated room from lightweight block (Celcon or similar) was not good for acoustic reasons. Does anyone know why this is and is it relevant for a stand alone room at the far end of the garden?

Cheers,

Mike.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    1: Sorry don't know

2: Lutron will dim flourescents but you need to have a "dimmable ballast" on the lamp fittment if it's to work properly (ie dim, rather than go slightly dimmer then .....OFF). I suspect that the dimmable ballast is critical for dimming regardless of which lighting control system you use.

3:KBK over at AVS recommends spraying his paint on to vinyl material or canvas I think. I have used a roller and matte white Dulux paint fairly effectively in tests. My biggest problem was stopping my cats from walking across the thing as it was drying in my garden.....of course one did but a quick paw check found the culprit!

4: Uncle Eric made that comment I think. If it wasn't him then I'm sorry to atribute it to him. Ideally you want a bit of give in the walls of a theater. Bare block or brick isn't very flexible.....

Gordon

3. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. If I may press you further....

1. OK

2. I'll probe Lutron's site about dimmable ballasts

3. I assume we're talking about spraying Dulux vinyl matt emulsion? Isn't it a bit viscous for all but the most powerful spray systems? Does the MDF require any priming or sealing before application, how many coats are required? I read also that very specific Manufacturer/Colour code paint was recommended and variations even to accomodate the idiosynchrosies of individual projectors. Without looking I recall Dulux Iceflow or similar...Is this just personal preferences or is there another reason for it?
    Most of my concrete work over the years is 'signed' with either a feline or canine 'stamp of approval'. Sometimes both.....

4. As long as the suggestion is that it's the bare wall that are problematic, then that's fine. I always intended to insulate somehow. To find that Celcon blocks where totally unsuitable would have been a disaster on the construction front!

4. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike, hope this helps

1. Try Cotterell Lightcentres

2. Most modern fittings for fluorescent tubes are fitted with switchless-start circuits, and increasingly, electronic ballasts are employed which require no starter switch (click here )

3. :confused:

4. I will not answer this one, as I could possibly help you make what could be a time consuming and costly mistake.

Anne

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I'll speak with our lighting guru about dimmable ballasts etc.

No the paint I was talking about was not Dulux but KBK from AVScience's special screen formulation paint he designed and manufactures. I didn't treat my MDF. Just painted two coats using a roller. Imprtant thing is to use pretty thick MDF so it stays flat!

Gordon

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW you can make your own screen using MDF and Paint

How much is the paint and where do you get it mail order.

7. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The paint is called ScreenGoo - its made in the US by GooSystems . Dont know about importing to the UK, and its quite expencive but very good apparantly

here is a like to the thread on it in AVS forums over in US

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86349

Ask gordon with relevance as to what paint to use from UK sources