1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of Cables and Radiation?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fisher584, Aug 16, 2005.

1. fisher584

fisher584

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i'm looking to see if there could possibly be a health issue with my current electronics setup..

I have a rather large desk, and on it are two computers, two monitors (crt and lcd), a G router, cable modem, TV VGA Conversion box, PS2, speakers, lamp, fan, clock, and two power strips at the corner of the desk.. it looks like a mini-power plant. Sometimes all are running at the same time...

I never really thought much of it until today, until after an S-Video cord for my PS2 arrived in the mail. Before i hooked it up, i wound the excess cabling into a neat loop and closed it off with a twist-tie. It didnt work, there was no picture. At first i thought my hardware was broken but when i undid the twist-tie and spread the cable out, the video signal was working.

I should mention that this particular cord was very cheap, the cheapest one i could get off ebay. I suppose the shielding was lousy, but what concerns me now is that if the cord didnt work when it was bunched close together, but did when it when spaced apart, then possibly it and everything i have running, when combined together; could be emitting a less than healthy amount of radiation. I'm not an expert in this area so any info regarding this would help alot.

Also, is there perhaps a reasonable way to measure what is being emitted? thanks

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Won't be radiation stopping the cable working - more likely a bad joint in the cable, so when wound it stretches and fails and when unwound its appers fine. I would get another (better) cable. Radiated energy would cause picture distortion, not failure. In general the set-up is very unlikely to be a health issue, at least not from radiation (normal caveats apply to web response advice - if you are worried you should get professional advice)
    Cheers
    Greg