LotR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by CraigofScotland, Feb 2, 2009.

1. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    There a few threads on this but not heard anything recent . .

when is the trilogy due?? anyone heard anything in other forums??

:lease:

2. irascian

irascian
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    As long ago as 2004 all my sources were talking about 2010 for a high-def release of the trilogy (theatrical cuts only, the extended cuts really were a one-off). Extra interviews etc were already being recorded alongside those for the ordinary DVDs ready for the HD box-set planned and there was a talk of new deleted scenes, albeit not inserted into the movie.

That being said, the US release of "Casablanca" has a Blu-Ray leaflet that says LOTR is coming to Blu-Ray "next year". Since "Casablanca" was released in 2008 that implies the release has been brought forward to 2009. My guess would be that it will be released in time for the holiday season (ie the end of the year) assuming they didn't mess up the "next year" thing expecting the leaflet to go out in releases starting Jan 2009.

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    I doubt it's the latter - the leaflet also mentioned several other films which we know have official release dates for 2009.

I suspect we'll get the original trilogy (theatrical cuts) during '09, or possibly the first two in '09 at 6 month intervals, and the third in early '10.

Then we'll get the theatrical cut of The Hobbit.

Then we'll see extended versions of them all together in a rather pricey boxed-set.

Then we'll see the extended cuts at reasonable prices by 2013 or so. :rolleyes:

Steve W