1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR - R2 picture quality and THAT cameo!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Aug 7, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Rented LOTR last night on DVD, having not seen the movie before, and have to say I quite liked it. Admittedly, it's not a superb film or masterpiece, but it is good!

Two things though:

1) Did anyone else catch Peter Jackson's cameo in the film? If you haven't done so, I won't ruin it for you just yet. I will post the details at a later date though, for those who want to know where he can be seen, and in what role!

2) Is it just me, or was the R2 DVD picture quality not as clear and sharp as it could and SHOULD have been? I know Entertainment In Video aren't exactly renowned for their wonderful quality DVD releases, but there didn't seem to be as much detail to be seen as I think existed in the master print, and at times, the image seemed fairly soft.

Plus, there were an occasional scene when artifacting and print problems made an appearance.

Anyone else see these, or care to comment on them?

Pooch

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    I saw him. ;)

I haven't seen the R2 transfer, but the print they were running at my local multiplex when I saw it was a disgrace - grainy as hell, washed out, dark and murky and with missing frames (quite a lot of them in fact)

3. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought It was a very good image didn't notice any artifacting or print problems. One of the best transfers I've seen. Then saying that I didn't see Peter Jackson either.:( Possible too busy as this was my first viewing of the film ever.

What Player you got Pooch.

4. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

yeah ive seen Peter Jackson in Lord of the Rings! His kids are in their too!

The picture quality as far as I am concerned is not half as good as the region 1.

When the image is dark and or foggy there were loads of blocking artifacts. The colours should have been subtle shades, instead they were this mess of blocks moving instead, these were not on the region 1.

I have the region 2, but would have rather have purchased the region 1 after seeing the difference in quality.

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I watched the R2 disk yesterday

Thought the picture quality was excellent.

I thought I saw Jackson at the time but wasnt sure.
    Cant remember where exactly but I seem to recall it being in the first hour. Was it at the prancing pony?

I've got the R1 disk on its way too so I'll do a picture comparison when it arrives.

6. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    **SPOILERS**

Yeah Jackson was the chap, burping( at least sounding like it ) as the hobbits go through the gates at Bree.

His kids are the children that Bilbo is telling the story too about the trolls during his 111 Birthday party.

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought the colours looked washed out and much of the film had a murkey grey feel to it, which wasn't the impression I got when I saw it in the cinema. Skin tones didn't look right either.

I thought the sound was superb though - I don't usually notice the rear speakers much, but they were kept busy all the way throughout the film

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Well, it seems we have a 50/50 split, so to speak, with this one.

Peter Jackson appears approximately 45m 14s into the movie, and is the haggard-looking man to the right of the screen, holding a beer (if I remember correctly), just as Frodo and friends go into Bree and the Prancing Pony!

I have a multi-region Pioneer 626 player, which has been well-looked after, and given me no end of enjoyment for the best part of 2.5 years now!

I think I may get the R1 edition, having the seen R2 edtion and been disappointed by it. Are they identical, and who does the R1 edition - is it New Line Cinema, or ??? (Pray it's not Entertainment In Video though, as they're awful!)

Pooch

9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    to add more confusion.

Im colourblind....

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Entertainment In Video do not exist outside the UK. They have the contract to release all New Line films in Britain. In the USA and Cannada New Line release their films themselves, and do a MUCH better job of it.
    I never buy any New Line films in region 2 as Entertainment In Video releases are just terrible. :)

11. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I have said many times, EIV source all their prints from new line, and thus should be very close to their US counterparts. Having contacted EIV, they have confirmed the above, stating that it was mastered alongside the us version.

I can never see what people have against EIV. Discs like Seven and Rush Hour 2 show that they are working hard to correct their image, ruined by crap packaging and some early poor discs, such as blade. They also release their discs very promptly.

I hope EiV keep up the excellent work.

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I must say that I thought the picture quality was very disappointing, it took quite alot from my enjoyment of the movie. It was very soft with a lack of detail. I watched the very cheap (by comparison) Mean Machine the night before and the picture quality was much sharper. If they can get the image quality right with a low budget movie like that there can be no excuses

C

13. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched it via a 56 inch toshiba via component inputs and found it stunning.

14. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I thought it was an excellent picture also. I think what alot of poeple are seeing apart from the blocking (which I never saw once) was meant to be as it looked. Some scenes are very dream like and presented with a very soft (washed out, lack of detail) looking image. If the Region 1 disc is much better than this I would be very surprised. The sound is where my gripes lie, not the most dynamic ive ever heard, but I think thats the way it was released in the cinema. Roll on AOTC.

15. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here is a comparison between a region one and an EIV release of Dark City (Just a film I plucked off my shelf at random):

Region Two EIV release:

Making of featurette (5 minutes)
    Theatrical trailer
    2.35:1 non anamorphic PAL
    Dolby Digital 2.0 format

Region One version:

Commentary One by director Alex Proyas, writers Lem Dobbs and David S. Goyer, cinematographer Dariusz Wolski and production designer Patrick Tatopoulos
    Commentary Two by Roger Ebert
    Production notes
    Theatrical trailer
    Comparisons to Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1926)
    Set designs
    "Neil Gaiman" on "Dark City"
    Interactive game "To Shell Beach..."
    2.35:1 anamorphic NTSC
    Dolby Digital 5.1 format

Nuff said?!

16. Riker

Riker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I thought I would share my thoughts regarding the Region 1 and Region 2 releases of The Fellowship Of The Ring.

I'll get straight to the point. I prefer the Region 2 version over the Region 1. The main reason for this is that in my case I have a 28" Sony 4:3 TV. The R1 version has a problem on 4:3 TV's - the letterbox bars are two different colours (each one is half dark green and half black - very annoying when watching in a darkened room) The Region 2 version is perfect - solid black bars and the sound is mastered better than Region 1 - the R1 version is mastered too loud - on normal volume on my amp the windows nearly crack! - Region 2 is perfect. The picture quality on the R2 version is fantastic - superb. Clarity is 100 percent.

Let me say that I normally buy (and prefer) Region 1 over Region 2 (MY collection has 260 Region 1 DVD's and 50 Region 2 DVD's - I think I will consider Region 2 more in the future - PAL speedup is barely noticeable)
    Anyway - just my 2 pence worth - if u r not sure which region to buy - just buy region 2 for this movie - You will NOT be dissapointed - and it is uncut)

Cheers

17. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to mcmillanbrush pointing out a few problems with EIV's Se7en (R2 SE) in a recent thread I decided to watch the movie all the way through. I have to say that now its been pointed out, the transfer is really bad. It has that strange blocky colour flickering on background surfaces, there are lip-synch problems and the black borders at each side of the image frequently twitch in and out. Ughh...

I guess the tacky EIV splash screen at startup that looks like its been transferred from an old VHS tape should give it away.

Allan

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, the region one version of se7en is one of the best, if not the best, transfer I have ever seen. The region two version should be used only as a frizbee or a coaster! :)
    Also, I know this is not important to some people, but the R1 packaging is outstanding, it is cardboard foldout done in the style of John Doe's journal. ;)

So, as I keep saying - avoid EIV like the plague! :D

19. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must be speaking of the original EiV release, this was then re-released with identical spec as the R1 with the same anamorphic remastered print, along with the 7.1 ES Discrete mix.

Bravo EIV.

20. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Infact the original EiV disc that you are talking of was out well before the special edition r1, and was similar to the original r1 disc, ie crap.

I know the new EiV Seven is hard to find, but please, get your facts right.

21. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding seven eiv, taken from a dvd review site:

"Excellent, truly excellent. The anamorphic 16:9 picture is quite superb in portraying the darkness and tense brutality of the story.

This is a totally new mastering for this 2 DVD set and it shows. One of the best I have seen."

22. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched LOTR last night (R2), & some again tonight.

Found the pic quality good to very good.

The mountain scenes particularily showed great definition & clarity (watching on a Panasonic PT-AE100 92" diagonal screen via HTPC).

But I did notice a slight sync problem.

Anyone else, or just me?

Waiting for the spec. ed. B4 purchase though, & that will be R1.

BTW, some of the extra footage on disc 2 had very poor quality, IMO.

23. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RushmoreGrad,

I do have the two-disk SE version of Se7en with the ES (or is it EX) soundtrack. Sorry, but the transfer is rubbish. If you want to take this to e-mail to avoid totally hi-jacking this thread I'll give you exact timings for everything I stated above.

Allan

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    back on subject, I bought the r2 LOTR discs, I find both sound and picture excellent, particularly sound. As far as I remember it's a pretty murky film at the cinema, to reflect a pretty murky book. It's not the sound of music we're talking about.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no way could the se7en two disc reg 2 transfer be called rubbish, its amazing!

back to lord of the rings. has no-one noticed the 'water-ripple' effect I mentioned a while back? Its in three seperate scenes two being:

a pan over the map of middle earth at the start

when boromir goes over the waterfall at the end.

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've just looked for this, it's not on my disc.

27. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Off track slightly again.

The Se7en SE 2 disk set is a well-known difficult disk for DVD players to cope with. This is due to the nature of the film, muted colours, very dark interiors, lots of blacks and greys and low lighting. A lot of DVD player reviews use this disk as a mark of how good a player is as a large number used to have problems and produce a picture with blocking and artefacts. The transfer of se7en is supposed to have no compression artefacts at all according to some people.

My old Samy 709 used to produce blocking in some of the dark scenes. This was not the only disk it did it with. At the start of A Bugs life on the bright blue sky it used to do the same thing. I would get a faint patch of blocks that stayed static as the view panned. The Phantom Menace did the same thing. As did some other disks. I was not a terrible problem but was noticeable.

I have now upgraded my player to a Toshiba 510e and no longer get any blocking or artefacing on these disks at all. The Se7en R2 SE has a very good picture quality using this player IMO. That said I only use a widescreen TV not a projector on a big screen, this is when the flaws and edge enhancement become really obvious.

Anybody correct me here if I am wrong here because I could be taking rubbish.

TV's that have a digital noise reduction function can produce blocking and artefacts that are not on the disk and that your player is not producing. So there is a school of thought that you should turn it off when watching DVD's.

Not all PAL transfers come directly from the Hi Def master of the film. Some are pulled down versions from the NTSC master used for DVD's. These are never have as good picture as the NTSC DVD. The trouble is it's hard to find out what DVD's have been produced in this way.

EIV where really **** to begin with and still produce some crap DVD's U571 for example not being in the correct aspect ratio. They are getting there act together now but only after Newline threatened them with going to another distributor in the UK, over the way its films were being released. EIV seem to put more effort into the bigger releases like LOTR ans Rush Hour 2 etc.

James I used to get that water ripple effect through my SVHS scart socket on all films. Something wrong with my old TV sorry mate.

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's only on a very small area of the screen, but I should be getting my new sony widescreen in the next couple of weeks:D :D :D so I'll have a check on that, its not even a problem really I was just curious to see if anyone had the same thing.

And yes I agree the Seven disc is a real performance tester for players and mine passes with flying colours!!:D

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here, it may be that artefacts are caused by disc/player conflict or player/display conflict. I'm of course assuming that anyone who wishes to be fussy about picture quality has bought good gear to display it with. I make no pretesions that mine's the best, it's simply what I can afford. I have one or two problem discs, for quality that is, and one that played once, then never again! I've put these down to hardware mostly, it must be hard to make a disc play well in every player, like having a website that displays well in every browser. There's always somebody running something different to email you with a problem.

30. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

Well, in my humble opinion, the R2 edition of the "se7en: Special Edition" is truly awful looking in comparison to the New Line Region 1 release!

Sorry, but EIV are one of those companies who seem to want to release all their films on the cheap, yet still charge full-price for their titles. The same issues plagued some of their video releases. "Until The End Of The World" and "Nixon" are two that I originally bought and then returned, due to lousy video picture quality, and it wasn't my VCR or tracking that was at fault either!

I would NOT recommend the purchase of ANY EIV Region 2 DVD's to anyone, as they appear to be done, like I said above, on the cheap. And, as someone else has already mentioned, the pseudo-watermark/opening EIV logo gives the transfer away immediately: colours all over the place, dodgy video-like sound, etc, etc.

I think I'll get the R1 versions of both LOTR movies (the original 2-disc set, and the forthcoming Deluxe Edition 4-disc release as well).

Who releases these films in R4 territory, New Line, EIV, or someone else?

Pooch