1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR:FOTR:EE Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by willncc, Jan 16, 2004.

1. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been playing with the settings on my new X1, initially used my old LD Video Essentials, then remembered that LD is much lighter than DVD, so it was far too dark for DVD viewing.

I then used the THX Video Tests from Star Wars II (NTSC), and all seemed dandy. However, then tried LOTR (does this disc have the longest acronym in the world??), and the picture was really light and washed out. The black bars were grey, and you could see the 'join' between the black (grey) bars, and the black area were nothing was being projected (PJ in 16:9 mode).

I don't remember there being any discrepancy on my old 32" widescreen telly, and I've not had any time to try any other PAL discs, so is

a) LOTR a very light disc?
    b) Do I have a dodgy copy
    c) this characteristic of PAL/PJ and just live with it and adjust the brightness as necessary for particluar discs?

If anyone could help me out I'd be most grateful....

Will

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    FOTR disc is R2 pal? I notice you used THX NTSC to set PJ. Do you need to setup Pal as well. Some PJs remember different settings for each.

Are you sure you're not doing an unnecassary NTSC to Pal conversion. Is your player MR?

I have the R1 version but FWIW I don't think this disc is light. I used to have the R2 theatrical version. This to was not light.

I do find a variance from one film to another and often tweak my basic settings a little one way or the other to suit.

Sorry I can't be more help, but your post is a little vague.

Cheers

Croc

3. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry,

Yep FOTR is R2 PAL, but the PJ settings appear to remain the same across discs (at least the numerical levels in the menu remain constant).

Good point about the NTSC to PAL - I tend to leave my player in NTSC mode, so I output pure NTSC, and assumed when the PJ automatically switched to PAL for FOTR that the player switched automatically as well. I'll see if manually setting the player to PAL has any positive effect......

Cheers
    Will

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Other than what Croc has said, you may also find that the THX Optimode is designed specificaly for the disk it's on, and can't be relied upon as a blanket calibration.

If your DVD player has a below black or 0ire setting for NTSC, then you may get better results with the black level, as that setting should make it the same as the PAL black level. If you then output PAL, the levels should look the same.

Gary.

5. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary,

I'll check in my players menus (its a panny DMRe50 by the way). Did try some more discs yesterday - including the THX set up disc on Phantom Menace (R2 this time) and again it was really light. So at the moment, without checking my players black level outputs, it would appear that my X1 has very different characteristics for NTSC vs PAL. Oh well, guess that's what the user settings are for......

Will