LOTR extended versions

Rob, i think your chain is being yanked :rolleyes:

PJ has said that he'd like to do a HD version of the Trilogy but i dont think there have been any details.

Gary

Yep, all speculation, but it will happen, and whilst HD-DVD offers a better compression technology in their MPEG4 implementation, i think Bluray will win out simply because of the companies who are already selling Bluray recorders in Japan.

pez

pez said:
Yep, all speculation, but it will happen, and whilst HD-DVD offers a better compression technology in their MPEG4 implementation, i think Bluray will win out simply because of the companies who are already selling Bluray recorders in Japan.

I think it's more likely going to come down to whichever format gets the more comprehensive collection of films out that people want to buy that'll win out. It's all right being able to record, but you really need content to make people want to buy into a platform. I'm hoping Blu-ray will win out because of the disc capacities the format should be able to achieve (isn't it quoted as 50GB with a few disc layers?)

Well I finally got my replacement TTT box set and disc 1 on this new set is even worse. :( :mad:
It looks like someones been playing football with it.
If I didn't know any better, I would say it's a second hand disc....

Brogan said:
Well I finally got my replacement TTT box set and disc 1 on this new set is even worse. :( :mad:
It looks like someones been playing football with it.
If I didn't know any better, I would say it's a second hand disc....

those Ents :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly there was alot of talk last November when The Two Towers Extended Edition was released about discs being scratched and no good, must still be some of the damaged stock around.

As for picture quality, the films might not use up so much space compared to the standard releases but the Extended Editions do have alot more audio tracks so I would have thought the film quality would be about the same.

Thought I would point out incase you didnt know, the Extended Editions of the films are re-edited versions of the films, they dont use seamless branching like some films do to give both the Theatrical and Extended Edition of the film on the same disc so you may want to hold onto your original versions as they are the only way you will be able to watch the Theatrical cuts of the films, plus the bonus discs which came with the original releases have extras that are not present on the Extended Editions but you say you are not interested in extras so I guess that doesnt really matter.

Toasty said:
The extended version of ROTK has not been released yet. Should be due in November, but there's been a lack of detail regarding its contents. Does anyone have a link for further ROTK extended version details?

Return of the King : Extended Edition has 50 minutes of extra footage put back into the movie and is released on the 14th December 2004.

DISC SPECS

DISCS 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 250 minutes) - A new version of the final installment in the epic trilogy! The Academy-Award® winning film now has 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film for this highly-anticipated video release: Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
Stereo Surround Sound
English subtitles and closed captions
Spanish subtitles

Four audio commentaries by the director and writers, the design team, the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Howard Shore…and many more.

Cast commentary also features dialogue between split-personality characters Gollum and Smeagol (Andy Serkis)!

DISCS 3-4: The Appendices
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King::

THE APPENDICES PART V: "The War of the Ring"
Disc intro by director Peter Jackson
"J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth" documentary

From Book to Script: "From Book to Script: Forging the Final Chapter" documentary
Abandoned Concept: Aragorn Battles Sauron

Designing and Building Middle-earth "Designing Middle-earth" documentary
"Big-atures" documentary
"Weta Workshop" documentary
"Costume Design" documentary

Design Galleries - 2,123 images The Peoples of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
The Realms of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
Miniatures (galleries with docent audio)

"Home of the Horse Lords" documentary

"Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship" interactive map
"New Zealand as Middle-earth" interactive map w/on-location footage

THE APPENDICES PART VI: "The Passing of an Age"
Disc intro by Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan

Filming The Return of the King "Cameras in Middle-earth" documentary
Production Photos (gallery) - 69 images

Visual Effects "Weta Digital" documentary
"The Mumakil Battle" demonstration / multi-angle interactive feature

Post Production: Journey's End "Editorial: Completing the Trilogy" documentary
"Music for Middle-earth" documentary
"The Soundscapes of Middle-earth" documentary
"The End of All Things" documentary

"The Passing of an Age" documentary

Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for "Into the West" "Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for 'Into the West'" documentary
"DFK6498" short film
"Strike Zone" short film

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_400_hv_home.html

mmm 'homer drool' indeed hehe
I pre ordered ROTK EE last Friday. Region 1 on CD-WOW £25 - £1 voucher.
My LOTR EE boxes are all Region 1.
Damn seems a long way away now :(. I never did get to see ROTK on the big screen :(

Anyone know if the multiplex's ie Odeon etc are going to show LOTR in there extended versions back to back. What a day & a party that would be :)

speedyuk - You might want to check out DVDSoon, they have ROTK EE for sale at $30.98 Canadian... which must be something like £15.00 ;)

Sigs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom