LOTR Extended Review

Ah, but it's only discs 1 and 2 at the moment.

www.dvdfile.com have a review of all 4:p ;)

Whichever way you cut it, it's a belter.

Unless of course, you don't like the film

That wasn't there when I looked this morning.:( :D

Originally posted by kevb
That wasn't there when I looked this morning.:( :D

You should stay in bed longer

I wish. Can't take these dark mornings.:mad: Never mind at least I have this DVD to look forward now. :D

Hi Kev (incase you miss the older thread)

just thought you might want to know that I recieved an email from CD Wow! concering LOTR

I emailed them to give me the exact specs of the disc since I didnt want French audio etc - here is the email response

"Hi,

Thanks for your message. Please forgive the delay in my response. We will be
stocking the region 1 US release. This edition does not include the French
translations and audio titles.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Kind regards

Mark
CD WOW! Customer Services
www.cd-wow.com"

Hope this helps

Cheers
Fergus

sorry to be a party pooper but won't an extra 30 mins of footage absolutely murder the film's pacing?! At 3 hrs already the film is very, very long... and really a bit too long IMO! It's a great film and Peter Jackson had a lot of material to get through but I think 210mins is a little bit too much to expect of an audience.

That's why there's 2 different versions I'd imagine.
The longer version would be for the "fans" that just want that little bit extra from the book that didn't make the theatrical cut.
I could cope quite easily with 210 minutes in one go, but as it's on 2 discs it wouldn't be such a wrench to split it over a couple of evenings either.

I don't think my lady will be too keen though:p

James,

210 minutes is too much to expect of an audience?! :eek:

What are you thinking? You must be crazy. If the film's good, and the viewer enjoys it, then is 3.5 hours really too much? I don't think so.

Anyway, if you think that that's long, why don't you try any of the following:

1) Lars Von Trier's "The Kingdom" (4 hours 10 minutes) and "The Kingdom 2" (another 4 hours+)

2) Edgar Reise's "Heimat" (9 hours of German life during WW2!)
(Plus he made a sequel, and he's working on a third part as well!!!)

3) Dances With Wolves: Director's Cut (232 minutes)

4) Stephen King's "The Stand" (Nearly 6 hours altogether!)

There are loads of stuff out there, if you want something really bum-numbing! :D

Pooch

Originally posted by PoochJD
if you want something really bum-numbing! :D
Novacaine.

The Drug not the film is Good for that and any other thing you want numb.:D

Pooch you can have too much of a good thing tho... I suppose it is for the fans only tho.

oh and Andy Warhol onced filmed the Empire State Building for 24 hours and released it all. I wonder if you can buy a box set of that one?:D :p

Originally posted by PoochJD
James,

210 minutes is too much to expect of an audience?! :eek:

What are you thinking? You must be crazy. If the film's good, and the viewer enjoys it, then is 3.5 hours really too much? I don't think so.
Exactly, and the films arent even that obscure:

Das Boot (director's cut) 216 minutes
Lawrence Of Arabia (premier version) 222 minutes
Ben Hur 212 minutes

I dont think FOTR was long enough (it really needed more back story) and I'm eagerly awaiting the four disk version, although I'll wait for the R2 release to see if it's better than R1.

PK

Originally posted by Matinee

I dont think FOTR was long enough (it really needed more back story) and I'm eagerly awaiting the four disk version, although I'll wait for the R2 release to see if it's better than R1.

PK

Err... the R2 will have slightly less content than the R1 so how can it be better? :confused:

Originally posted by dannywonderful
Err... the R2 will have slightly less content than the R1 so how can it be better? :confused:
Thats not been confirmed as yet. The last few EIV releases have been identical to the Newline disk all bar the packaging. Untill more details surface it's unfair to pan the R2 disk untill it's proven to have less content extra wise.:)

Originally posted by kevb
Thats not been confirmed as yet. The last few EIV releases have been identical to the Newline disk all bar the packaging. Untill more details surface it's unfair to pan the R2 disk untill it's proven to have less content extra wise.:)

Yeah, but its an EIV DVD! Suely that is reason enough not to buy it!?! :confused: :eek: :( :p :D

Yeah there is that slight problem.:D

Originally posted by Lex
Yeah, but its an EIV DVD! Suely that is reason enough not to buy it!?! :confused: :eek: :( :p :D
:) Given the choice the picture quality on R2 may be better though, so I think it's worth waiting..

PK

It HAS been confirmed that some of the special features have been edited or cut entirely. The MTV LOTR spoof featuring Jack Black is one such example. Confirmation of cuts here

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom