LOTR Extended Edition disk swap over

Droogie 2001

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After looking at the full spec of the LOTR Extended edition and now counting down the days till its release.
My only gripe is that it spread over 2 disks. I know this so that the picture/sound quality as well as the 4 commentaries can be kept up to a high standard.
I was wondering where the need to swap the disk over comes in?
Perhaps after the Mines of Moria sequence?
Not only will this be about ½ through the new 4 hour edition (I think the current DVD time is around 2 hours)
It will make cinematic sense as you can catch your breath before going onto Lothlorien.
Maybe we should open a betting book…

Any way off to watch R2 Black Hawk Down and having the satisfaction that we are getting a better deal than region 1 for once well at least for a while!

Cheers

current DVD is nearly three hours, not two (LOTR)
plus as far as I know, only 45 mins roughly is being added on for new version (only! thats superb!)
so new version will be a shade under four hours.
I'm sure the timing of the 'intermission' will be well done, there would be an outcry if it wasn't well timed!
just after the bridge of khazadum would be perfect IMO:)

What about when the fellowship is announced by Elrond in Rivendell?
Isn't alot of the extra footage going in at the beginning so wouldn't this point be about half way?

Cheers, Paul

Here a press release on the upcomming four disk set from EIV no mention of where the disk will need to be changed but has some useful info.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Special Extended Edition with 30 Minutes More Film
Available To Own 12th November

Edition includes never-before-seen footage, expanded musical score, additional visual effects, extensive character development

THE ULTIMATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT movie experience ever to be released on DVD and VHS will be available from Entertainment in Video from Tuesday 12th November when the Special Extended Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring hits the shops. The exclusive limited edition Collector's DVD Gift Set that includes the Special Extended DVD Edition, will also be available to own on the same day.

Created by director Peter Jackson, this version of the worldwide phenomenon features approximately 30 minutes of additional footage and scenes, thoroughly integrated into the original theatrically released version of the film that made its worldwide debut on 6 August 2002. The disc release of the Special Extended Edition has been eagerly awaited by throngs of fans around the globe and the content ensures they will not be disappointed.

Jackson - a self proclaimed fan of the DVD format - along with the production crew were committed to delivering a disc that would give viewers and fans a unique on of a kind DVD experience. Specially created material was specifically produced for this DVD version of the epic fantasy. Composer Howard Shore returned to his original, Academy-AwardÒ-winning The Lord of the Rings score and recorded fifty minutes of new music with the London Philharmonic and the visual effects artists at Weta Digital have contributed all new effects shots.

As well as the three-and-a-half hour feature film, the four-disc Special Extended DVD Edition will also include two discs loaded with exclusive, never-before-seen supplementary material, available via multiple platform navigation systems. The extras will present viewers with an extensive and much more comprehensive appreciation of the Middle Earth created by Tolkien and painstakingly and faithfully recreated by director Peter Jackson and cast and crew.

The additional thirty minutes extended footage of the movie itself also provides a valuable insight into the complex trilogy. Of the thirty minutes of unseen footage, Galadriel's (Cate Blanchett) gift-giving scene is also included, as was widely anticipated. As the elves prepare to leave Rivendell, Elf Queen Galadriel bestows a special gift upon each of the nine members of the Fellowship. As readers of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic literary masterpiece know, these gifts take on added importance as the Fellowship members continue their journey in The Two Towers and, finally, The Return of the King.

Other new scenes include: Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm) writing a journal entry entitled "Concerning Hobbits," which serves as a history of the Hobbits and their bucolic lifestyle; a new introduction of loyal Hobbit Sam Gamgee (Sean Astin); more footage from the Green Dragon Inn, with Peregrin "Pippin" Took (Billy Boyd), and Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck (Dominic Monaghan) happily singing Hobbit songs; Sam and Frodo (Elijah Wood) witnessing the stately Exodus of the Elves on the road to Bree; Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) singing an Elvish ballad that adds back story to the implications of his love for Arwen (Liv Tyler); Aragorn beside his mother's grave in Rivendell; an extended sequence of the Fellowship's departure from Rivendell; pre-battle scenes in the Mines of Moria, explaining how the dwarves came to be in the mines; character material delving into the complicated relationship between elves and dwarves; and additional footage from the Fellowship's climactic battle scene.

New Line Cinema and Entertainment in Video along with their overseas production partners have been working virtually around the clock for the last several months to complete the four disc extended version of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Says Paul Evenden of Entertainment in Video 'We are confident that this ambitious project will redefine the DVD landscape. It is the richest, most complex and we believe the most exciting DVD ever made.'

The extras on the two discs will comprise director, cast, design and production team commentaries; production documentaries and interactive featurettes covering the film adaptation from "book to vision" and "from vision to reality" with no overlap of the content that appeared on the August disc - even the movie is different.

Furthermore this edition of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Rings is an ideal entry point for the forthcoming release of The Two Towers. Viewers of the Special Extended Edition will be able to carry additional information about the characters they learn here into the next film of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The extended edition discs(Catalogue Number EDV9171) will be presented on DVD in 16 x 9 Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound. The feature film has a running time of 200 minutes with a staggering six hours worth of special features. The RRP for this DVD edition of the phenomenal award winning movie is £29.99 hilst the VHS format featuring of the extended edition of the movie (Catalogue Number: EVS1475) has an RRP of £15.99 .

More information about The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, can be found by visiting www.lordoftherings.net or by contacting:

NOTE TO EDITORS:
At this writing, DVD content not finalized. All content subject to change based on availability and legal and talent clearance.

I don't know for sure but I did hear it's still going to be on the disk even though the press release doesn't mention it. We won't know for sure unless someone talks to EIV or Newline or untill the preview disks start doing the rounds.

I know what you mean Bert.:) At least it's only a few of the songs.

Originally posted by Bert Coules
And at least they haven't put Tom Bombadil back.
I heared that they didn't even film a sequence with Tom Bombadil as he has no relevance at any point later in the Trilogy his section was one they could lose without affecting any later parts.

Reasonable call in my book but I have heard some moan that book was not followed closely enough (imagine a a 6-hour film just for FOTR if it had.)

I cant wait for the The Two Towers though.

Yes, Tom Bombadil was an obvious non-starter for a movie version. The mostly excellent BBC audio serial also cut out the Bombadil scenes: as you say, they are self-contained and serve only to hold up the story at the very moment where it should be getting going.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

IMO, Tom Bombadil was one of the best characters in the book, and also served to detail that there were creatures far more all knowing and mystical than Gandalf etc.

Tom and his Wife were practically one of the Gods of Middle-earth, and their introduction at the start serves to give their blessing or set the mortals along their way.

Although, he is not really needed for the films, I think it was a sad loss. Also the loss of Glorfindel and the introduction of mushy love of Arwen was a bit of a travesty.

The book of the Fellowship of the Ring is in itself two books. The first ends with the black riders being swept away by the river and Frodo losing consciousness. The second starts with him waking up in Rivendell. I can't see them putting the disk change anywhere else. HTH.

How long will it be before they film 'The Hobbit'

Martyn

(Read the book 5 times)

Originally posted by kevb
As the elves prepare to leave Rivendell, Elf Queen Galadriel bestows a special gift upon each of the nine members of the Fellowship.
Muppets.

a) Galadriel lives in Lothlorien, not Rivendell.
b) By the time they reach Lothlorien, there are only 8 members.

Still.. looking forward to this, and the Two Towers trailer is bloody fantastic!

PK

He, maybe the tossed the DTS soundtrack off in favor of getting the thing on there one one disk and the 2nd movie disk is the same film with only DTS sound?

Ok, not likely, but one can dream. There is room for 4 hours of video on a dual-layer dvd, you know. If one restricts oneself to only one soundtrack choice, I think it would be quite possible to put the 3.5 hour film all on one single disc.

Originally posted by GermanMan
He, maybe the tossed the DTS soundtrack off in favor of getting the thing on there one one disk and the 2nd movie disk is the same film with only DTS sound?

Ok, not likely, but one can dream. There is room for 4 hours of video on a dual-layer dvd, you know. If one restricts oneself to only one soundtrack choice, I think it would be quite possible to put the 3.5 hour film all on one single disc.

What a stunning Idea !!!! (seriously).

I'm not sure it would all fit which is a great shame but maybe its an idea for any future releases.

Instead of opening a new thread I've tacked this on here. News taken from the Digitalbits site.

Well folks... I have seen the new extended cut of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Matt and I attended a special screening of the contents of the new 4-disc DVD at New Line on Saturday. The event ran from 9 AM to after 9 PM, and even after 12 hours of viewing, they still didn't have time to show everything that's included in the set (the 4 audio commentaries and thousands of production artwork gallery stills went unseen). To be fair, Matt and I only stayed to see the new cut of the film shown in a big-screen, theater environment with DTS surround sound. 12 hours is, after all, a LONG damn time to sit on one seat! But I can tell you that the new cut of the film is absolutely wonderful.

Many of you already know a little about the 30 minutes of material that's been added back in, but here's a list of SOME of the new scenes: an extended opening with Bilbo writing his memoirs, a new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, a scene at the Green Dragon Inn, the Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree, Aragorn singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien, Aragorn at his mother's grave, new moments during the departure from Rivendale in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving as well as Elrond seeing the Fellowship off, a scene in the mines of Moria in which we learn how the Dwarves unleashed the fire-demon, Galadriel's complete gift-giving scene at Lothlorien and more footage of the battle at Amon Hen.

That's impressive enough, right? But there are also many smaller scenes, scene extensions and additional brief moments that have been added in throughout the length of the film. The cumulative effect is to make this film seem vastly more epic in scope - something I would never have guessed possible. There's a greater sense of distance to the Fellowship's journey, with many more points of interest along the way. We get to learn much more about Hobbits in the new opening, and there's more interaction between Frodo and Bilbo, which illuminates their fond relationship. The battle scenes are all much more intense now, and several characters are given added moments that make them feel more rounded, particularly Boromir (his last stand is now much more heroic and emotional). There's more humor in this cut. And the new footage adds significant texture and depth to the film - particularly welcome as much of this directly references material in the original book. The result, ultimately, is a much more satisfying viewing experience. I have no doubt that those who disliked the film because it was too long will bemoan the new version. But for fans, if you liked Fellowship in its theatrical form, you will absolutely love this. The 15 or 20 people in the preview audience with us were in complete agreement - the new cut of this film is nothing short of extraordinary. We'll be back with our in-depth review of the entire 4-disc DVD set later this week. But I just wanted to chime in this morning with the good word on the film itself.

Sounds good to me.:)

With this extra stuff it looks like one bag of Minstrals aint gonna cut it any longer..:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom