LOTR extended edition [1 film = 2 dvds?]

oxygenuk

Ex Member
Reaction score
i was told the extended versions of LOTR like the extended boxset and single versions are on two dual layer discs?

is this true meaning i have to get up mid movie and put in disc 2? that rings some bells/memories :rotfl:

thnx in advance

yep true, did never annoy me very much though.

how long are the extended editions roughly? 3-4 hours?

longer with each movie :)

Fellowship ~200mins
Two Towers ~214mins
Return of the King ~240mins

all for R2 PAL versions

FOTR is about 3 Hrs
TTT is about 3:20
ROTK is about 4 Hours

If you're watching via a PC then you can back them up on to the HDD and combine two disks to make one "not quite seamless" movie using something like DVDshrink. This is how I watchd them last time round although I never managed an uninterrupted viewing due to bladder issues :rolleyes:

They spread the films over 2 discs for health and safety reasons. There were fears regarding the possibility of viewers suffering 'Deep Vein Thrombosis' caused by a lack of leg movement for 3-4 hours. :eek: Solution: make the viewer get up mid-film to change the disc!! Quite brilliant really. ;)

sure it wasnt because they had DD-EX and DTS-ES Disrete on the disc with 4 hours of high quality picture?......i think that was more likely than fear of DVT....lol.....they didnt stop the film halfway in the cinema......heh (not like the good old days...'yes miss, i'll have a cornetto and a choc ice please'.....)

Knyght_byte said:
sure it wasnt because they had DD-EX and DTS-ES Disrete on the disc with 4 hours of high quality picture?......i think that was more likely than fear of DVT....lol.....they didnt stop the film halfway in the cinema......heh (not like the good old days...'yes miss, i'll have a cornetto and a choc ice please'.....)

I remember getting a choc-ice mid way through Bedknobs and Broomsticks...I don't think I was very old at the time (I was born in 1975). :)

im not sure what boxset to get.

im a average/good LOTR fan would the extended boxset suit me?

I can't see how it wouldn't. I'm not a die hard fan, i don't dress up as a hobbit on my day off or anything. But the extended discs are superb and widely considered the best DVD packages out there.

With the exception of more Treebeard, the extra footage is great and the sheer amount of extras has to have something in there you might be interested in!

Of course there's no trailers for the films themselves which i would've liked, especially as New Line always/usually puts them in 5.1 too. :thumbsup:

Will Scarlet said:
They spread the films over 2 discs for health and safety reasons. There were fears regarding the possibility of viewers suffering 'Deep Vein Thrombosis' caused by a lack of leg movement for 3-4 hours. :eek: Solution: make the viewer get up mid-film to change the disc!! Quite brilliant really. ;)
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Will Scarlet said:

Thats why i bought my flight socks, so when i do sit down for the full 10-11 hour fest, i'll be fine. ;)

Get the extended special editions, you won't be dissapointed! If you go for the standard length editions you will be dissapointed!

;)

Will Scarlet said:

Shame i've got a five disc changer then :D

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Knyght_byte said:

Not strictly true...in Loughborough the cinema had a break half way through FOTR for ice creams etc...they did the same in Titanic :clap:

On a couple of old 'epics' eg Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia etc. They've split the film accross two disks but the original 'directors' intermission occurrs about 20 minutes into the 2nd disk which seems pretty daft.

On FOTR the break in the movie seems quite well placed, but on TTT and ROTK it looks as though the film wasn't really edited with a break in mind, and the DVD authors have put it in where they feel like

For the record, the all-in-one version of ROTK I have on my HDD amounts to 11.5 Gb. Thats with both the DD EX and DTS ES tracks on but all the commentary tracks and menus etc removed. So without any extras they might have squeezed it onto one disk with a little more compression (at the expense of PQ of course)

IMO the extended versions of the films are a considerable improvement over the originals. The extra material is not simply "extra scenes" - the whole film is completely recut, with many scenes being extended, even sometimes just having a few extra lines added in many different places.

The extended cuts are more or less the way Mr Jackson would have made the films if running time were not an issue, I think; for cinema versions he cut the films to match a pre-determined running time of about 3 hours, rather than making them the length they really need to be.

Not everyone agrees with me about this, and there are certainly one or two ways in which the cinema cuts are better - for example (spoiler, highlight to read) in the cinema cut when the Corsair ships arrive at Minas Tirith, the audience doesn't actually know that Aragorn and the Army Of The Dead are on board them - so, when they appear, it's something of a plot twist. In the extended cut we've already seen the Dead massacring the pirates, so we know it's coming.

But the majority seems to agree with me that the extended versions are, overall, much better. The selection of extras in the 4-disc sets is very impressive too - many hours worth of documentaries, DTS-ES Discrete sound and no less than 4 audio commentaries. The video quality is slighty better too.

IndianaBlues said:
Not strictly true...in Loughborough the cinema had a break half way through FOTR for ice creams etc...they did the same in Titanic :clap:

i live in north west London, given the cost of land rent/rates/etc for business, no way they would stop during a showing for ice cream nowadays, would mean over a day possibly losing a showing!...hehe

but i do remember getting a mint cornetto during one of the supermans...lol

oh and a choc ice in Return of the Jedi...heh

cinemas love me tho, when i do go to watch a film (not often due to back problems) i usually have nachos, hot dog, sweet and salt mixed popcorn, bag of pic'n'mix and a big coke....heh.......(if havnt eaten dinner, if i have then lose the hotdog...lol)

(dont worry tho, i'm not a loud eater who spoils the show...im very select and only eat crunchy stuff during loud scenes..lol)

My local VUE were originally going to put a break in ROTK due to the longer running time but they decided to drop the break at the last minute.

the Extended editions are well worth while as long as you like the original theatrical versions.

If you're too tired (read lazy) to swap the disks over and have got a media PC, do what I'm doing now and rip the films to the HD via DVDshrink, load up MCE's My Movies (or MediaPortal) and watch them uninterrupted in Theatertek.

There's a good how-to guide on this forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140266&page=1&pp=15&highlight=lord+rings

I also agree that the extended editions are worth it over the standard ones. You get more information on the different characters and an alternative ending where Frodo decides to pawn the ring for 5 pieces of gold. :thumbsup: Only joking :confused: Also the extended bits are so good and fit in so well with the rest of the film you don't really feel or notice the extra 20 - 30 added minutes.

and dont forget, the last 20 minutes of the film are actually just credits....lol

(or was it more, i cant remember now...heh)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom