LOTR Extended - Con??

J

Jonny1973

Just watched the LOTR extended edition to my surprise it finished sooner than I expected.

There are not as many extras scenes in the movie as I expected. The biggest diffence is the end credits, I've just spent 20 minutes watching the names of people in the LOTR fan club scroll by.

At least you can listen to Howard Shore's score in DTS 6.1 if you want to.

Overall, the end credits last 27 minutes!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jonny1973
Overall the end credits last 27 minutes!!!!!!!!

Haven't rec'd the extended version yet, but 27mins, that's taking the pi*s.

Anyone confirm extended edition = extended credits :eek:

They start at 1 hour 35 mins and end at 2 hours 2 mins on disc 2!!!!!

The end credits are 2 chapters (47 - Credits,48 - Official Fan Club Credits) on the scene access menu.

Chapter 48 is one of the extra scenes!! At 20 minutes, it's the longest scene in the film!!!

so is their anthing add to the film length,or is it just the end credits,what a bloody ripoff

i thought their added about 30 mins to the film length

So how much extra actual film?

See:-http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/lotrfellowship4disca.html

This is the relevant part, "And now it's been made even better in this extended DVD version, with the addition of some 30 minutes of footage that was cut to save time during the film's theatrical run. The new footage includes (but is not limited to) a much extended opening with Bilbo writing his memoirs, a new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, a scene at the Green Dragon Inn, the Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree, Aragorn singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien, Aragorn at his mother's grave, new moments during the departure from Rivendale in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving as well as Elrond seeing the Fellowship off, a scene in the mines of Moria in which we learn how the Dwarves unleashed the fire-demon, Galadriel's complete gift-giving scene at Lothlorien and more footage of the battle at Amon Hen.

All that would be impressive enough. But there are also many smaller scenes, scene extensions and additional brief moments that have been added in throughout the length of the film. The cumulative effect is to make this film seem vastly more epic in scope - something I would never have guessed possible. There's a greater sense of distance to the Fellowship's journey, with many more points of interest along the way. We get to learn much more about Hobbits in the new opening, and there's more interaction between Frodo and Bilbo, which illuminates their fond relationship. You see that Gollum has continued to follow the Fellowship after leaving Moria. Lothlorien is depicted in much greater detail. The battle scenes are all much more intense now, and several characters are given added moments that make them feel more rounded, particularly Boromir (his last stand is now much more heroic and emotional). There's more humor in this cut. And the new footage adds significant texture and depth to the film - particularly welcome as much of this directly references material in the original book. The result, ultimately, is a much more satisfying viewing experience. I have no doubt that those who disliked the film because it was too long will bemoan the new version. But for fans, if you liked Fellowship in its theatrical form, you will absolutely love this."

All that is going to be more than 3 minutes worth.:D

The 20 minutes of extra credits is in addition to the extra 30 minutes of added footage so its 50 minutes longer not 30.

Come on guys, if you couldn't spot the extra footage then you're not a real fan :D

Just watched it myself over the weeked. The end credits are NOT part of the extra footage. The fil itself is 30 mins longer. Their are additional scenes aswell as extended scenes. Overall the effect as other reviewers have noted a shorter 'feeling' movie. The movie itself I feel greatly benefits from this edition.

i watched the extended edition on Saturday night and enojyed it apart from one bit - where the fellowship enter Lothlorien the scenes have been completely changed and there's some of the original cut missing. Specifically where the fellowship is surrounded by the elves in the original release we hear Galadriel's saying a line like "your entry is like the footsteps of doom". Thats not the exact quote but its something like that - anyway i think that scene is very muddled now going from daylight to dark almost immedialy and where the elves look down (or up) at Galadriels gaff seems rushed.... Apart from that i enjoyed the cut.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom