1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR - Elvish dialogue - your opinions please!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, the R2 and R4 versions of LOTR use DVD-player-generated subtitles for the Elvish dialogue, rather than having the subtitles burned in as in the R1 (which is therefore identical to the theatrical release).

Usually I think these look cheap and nasty (e.g. Ronin R2, Usual Suspects R2, Kalifornia R2, etc). However, I came across the following:
    Source: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=1715

So those of you who have had a chance to compare the theatrical release/R1 with the R2/R4, which do you think looked better:

the burned-in subtitles

or

the DVD-player-generated subtitles?

All comments on this appreciated :)

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    As a native speaker of Elvish, I find the whole thing patronising. Every time you English speakers go holidaying to Middle-Earth you expect us to know your language, it's so stereotypical.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's the same when they come to Florida.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Well, whilst for me personally it doesn't bother me too much, I think I would have to go for the R1 version, simply because that's what Peter Jackson decided he wanted the Elvish language to go out in.

If he had wanted player-generated subtitles, then I'm sure he would have asked for them.

Pooch

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in general I prefer the burnt in type subtitles, the dvd generated ones do look cheap and nasty. Do different manufacturers use different fonts for their subtitles?

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They usually look cheap and nasty, mainly because the choice of font sucks and because of the lack of anti-aliasing. MGM seem to favour always using player-generated subtitling for R2 and the font is always awful. :mad:

In this case though, the reviewer says they were easier on the eye and it's not MGM.......

So can someone please tell me what the R2/R4 font is like? That's what I'm really getting at here! :) I need to decide whether to cancel my R2 pre-order for the director's cut :rolleyes:

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    The reason why DVD have player generated subttitles like this as well as DVD's like The Terminator is the picture source is used for all of Europe and sometimes Australia and so have to have a way fo translating the Elvish to other languages.

So if you go to france you will get french subtitles etc.

The US just needs to worry about spanih and french normally.

8. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that it's a bit of a cheek putting Elvish sub titles on the disc and an insult to gnomes.

I refuse to watch it on principle.