LOTR EE R1 or R2? And the same for The Abyss

Matinee

Standard Member
Reaction score
As per subject! Has anybody compared LOTR EE R1 and R2 - I'm looking to get the best edition, which all things being equal should be R2 for the extra resolution?

Also, The Abyss. Thinking of going R1 on this one, as R2 doesnt feature the infamous 'rat scene' - unless the R2 quality or suchlike is much better than R1?

PK

Of in reverse order:

The Abyss - R1. The R2 UK is missing the Rat (its reframed actually) and the R2/R4 versions suffer from further colour banding particularly in the blues. Now before anyone tells you "well R2/R4 are anamorphic it says so on de box" they are not, its a cover type mistake.

As for LOTR EE then UK R2 has censored extras which means R1 or R4. Personally I have both :)

Originally posted by Jenz

As for LOTR EE then UK R2 has censored extras which means R1 or R4. Personally I have both :)
Thanks, R1 for The Abyss then - that's an easy one.

I'm not too fussed about cuts in the extras, but as R4 appears to be PAL I should be able to gain the advantages of extra resolution and no cuts it seems? coo.. I think I see more R4 purchases in my future.

PK

Actually LOTR EE is going to be interesting to compare R4 with R1. The original version was mixed. R1 was sharper (almost digitally enhanced) which whilst stunning did not match the filmic look of the R4 which itself was superb. It was almost like two variants that were each good. Sonically the R1 was loud and a little brash but the R4 had pitch shift obviously.

The choice as they say is yours but it will be interesting to compare both for the EE.

Neil.

You didn't say whether you are getting the Collector's Edition or not? If you are then definitely R1 because you do not get the extra fifth disc with the R2 (region 4 not available yet, but will have the fifth disc).

Check here

Originally posted by Matinee
Also, The Abyss. Thinking of going R1 on this one, as R2 doesnt feature the infamous 'rat scene' - unless the R2 quality or suchlike is much better than R1?

PK
The Abyss (R4) is currently on special offer at ezydvd.com. About a tenner including delivery, not bad from Australia !
Also, according to dvdcompare, the R1 SE has been deleted.

Originally posted by Lex
You didn't say whether you are getting the Collector's Edition or not?
I just want the extended film four disk set, not too fussed about the national geographic disk. Above all I want the best film quality.

Definitely dont need the bookends.

From what Jenz says I think R4 may well be the one to go for - I'll be playing it back on my 7ft screen through a BarcoGraphics 1208.

PK

Originally posted by sifowler

Also, according to dvdcompare, the R1 SE has been deleted.
Oh *arse*. Think I'll go and see if anyone still has R1 before it disappears.

PK

Originally posted by Jenz
Of in reverse order:

The Abyss - R1. The R2 UK is missing the Rat (its reframed actually) and the R2/R4 versions suffer from further colour banding particularly in the blues. Now before anyone tells you "well R2/R4 are anamorphic it says so on de box" they are not, its a cover type mistake.

I’m I reading this right but any regions anamorphfic then?

Originally posted by Garrett
I’m I reading this right but any regions anamorphfic then?
Well according to dvdcompare, none of the versions are anamorphic, its just that the R2/R4 packaging states it is - but its lying !

Sod it then I was thinking of upgrading my video of it but if it is not anamorphic I’m not bothering. Seems silly not to have it in this format and it was released relatively recently, I think about the same time as Independence Day and that’s by Fox and in anamorphic.

The French version of The Abyss is worth buying if you want the Rat Scene, but don't like 3:2 pulldown, Not The Same Color Twice and lower resolution available in the Region 1 version

Acyually Nick you'll find the French R2 is struck from the same master as the Aussie R4 and therefore is lacking in fine detail compared to the R1 and also suffers from colour banding.

Just ordered The Abyss (R1 special ed.) from DVD boxoffice for 32.95 (canadian dollars) ~£13 inc delivery... no mention of it being deleted (thought I'd buy it anyway):cool:

Originally posted by PFM
Just ordered The Abyss (R1 special ed.) from DVD boxoffice for 32.95 (canadian dollars) ~£13 inc delivery... no mention of it being deleted (thought I'd buy it anyway):cool:
Does it say its a 2 disc version ? It was the 2 disc that was deleted and replaced with just a 1 disc version.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom