LOTR - a load of old toilet

Originally posted by dfield2000
if I asked him about Bilbo Baggins or Sauruman, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't know.

Are you sure?

LOTR was released in the 1930's don't forget. I'm sure he must have picked it up once in his life? :)

You'd have thought so wouldn't you :) unless he was living in a hobbit hole

I don't think you can assume that absolutley everyone in the world has picked this book up once in their life just becuase it was out in the 1930's.

However, I bet everyone has heard of Darth Vader, even if they have never seen Star Wars

you should remember that the BAY CITY ROLLERS had a large impact in the 70's - and they were crap!!!

Gary

True - no one is saying that just becuase something is more popular than something else it is therefore better. Like I said in my first post, I think that LOTR far superior to Star Wars.

I've never picked up the books in my life and I'm half way through it......(probably :blush: ).

then you've got unfinished tales to do after :)

With great fear of being called a troll . . .

I thought the films were a bunch of uninteresting fantasy beings walking and walking and walking for far too long. And there was an amusing tree. Sorry

Originally posted by figrin_dan
With great fear of being called a troll . . .

I thought the films were a bunch of uninteresting fantasy beings walking and walking and walking for far too long. And there was an amusing tree. Sorry

Each to there own sir, but I always saw a lot more going on than that.

Yeah....

There were trees. See more than one.

And they ran for a bit as well as walking....

..don't forget they were also on horseback for a while

Wasn't any trolls though.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the hobbit for them to appear.

Er... there are quite a few trolls in the LOTR movies. Maybe you were asleep at that point. :)

well it was very boring ;)

Originally posted by NicolasB
Er... there are quite a few trolls in the LOTR movies.

If memory serves, I think there was 1 scene with a trolls in it - I bet no-one can name it.

If memory serves, I think there was 1 scene with a trolls in it - I bet no-one can name it.

the troll scene :laugh:

The way I interpret this thread, LOTR would be more popular if they had cast George Peppard, Dirk Benedict and Mr T (as Gollum) and they had lightsabres instead of swords. Also there should be less walking, so howabout scooters or rollerblades or maybe space hoppers as the main mode of transport? Oh, and the soundtrack should include bye-bye baby and Shangalang?

whats a troll?

..but to truely mimic Star Wars sucess you'd want wooden acting, crap dialogue, one dimentional characters and ewoks.

SPOILER WARNING

Trolls spotted in LOTR movies:

1) Referred to only, Bilbo telling his story about the trolls to the children at his birthday party.
2) The "cave troll" fight in Balin's tomb in the Mines of Moria.
3) Bilbo's trolls (petrified) in the Trollshaw forest (shortly after Frodo is stabbed by the ringwraiths). In the Extend Edition of FOTR, Sam observes "Look, Mr Frodo, it's Mr Bilbo's trolls!" or words to that effect.
4) In TTT there appear to be trolls operating the Black Gates.

There may be other instances too.

I've not seen ROTK yet, but I should imagine it will be trolls wielding the battering ram.

I forgot about the Cave Trolls - I was thinking about the petrified ones. I think you only see them in the EE.

I started a thread this time last year to say I found LOTR totally boring and up it's own backside. Needless to say I got a lot of stick for it ;)

..but to truely mimic Star Wars sucess you'd want wooden acting, crap dialogue, one dimentional characters and ewoks.

3 out of 4 then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom