1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR - a load of old toilet

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sammy Jankis, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I just wanted to find out how many people out there, like me, find the LOTR trilogy to be boring nonsence. When I was sitting in the cinema watching The Two Towers I suggested to my brother that we leave such was my boredom.
    I found the first film acceptable in that it had a narrative with momentum, the story moved forwards at a good pace and you knew where the plot was going. To take the ring somewhere and destroy it. An 'A Team' was assembled and they went off on an epic voyage. That was all driving the film forwards and keeping you intrigued, you could have a good guess at the end of the story and so an anticipation of the events infolding was inticing.

But then came the mess of The Two Towers. The 'A Team' had split up and they were off on different stories of their own. I found this to be annoying. I don't care about some king off somewhere in the wilderness. I was inticed by the story of the ring and it seemed to have been lost in all the other nonsense with the trees, the old king and that Gollum fellow.

So back to my question, is there anybody out there who finds these films to be nothing more than a pile of pants.

Sammy

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    :smashin: I'm with you.

Regards, Mylo

3. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry have to disagree

These films will be looked back upon as cinematic masterpieces - the Star Wars of our generation.

I am honestly amazed that anyone could get bored during these films - where is your sense of wonder?!

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I feel the films have the same strengths and weaknesses as the books.

First one : fairly linear plot easy to get into and easyier to turn into a film.
    Second one : too many different foci , and awful of new places and faces to try and put into context.
    Third one : similar to the second if not worse.

I don't necessarily think the films are any worse than the books in their weaknesses though.

The Hobbit would make the transition to film better than LOTR I've always thought.

5. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    With you on this Ringer!!:smashin:

6. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It might be worth watching the extended versions as they fill in the gaps very well.

I liked em.

Rich.

:smashin:

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sammy: I'd stick with The Hobbit, simple linear story that doesn't need a lot of effort to keep up with. :)

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It has always been a very complicated story, with pretty much almost a whole world with a history written out over the books J.R.R.T. wrote.

Naturally the films are going to be very similar, and some may find this a bit too much (especially with the shallow movies that have always been made for a paying audience). this is obviously not a film for everyone, but I still am amazed by people telling me things like; "Its three hours long and has no ending" or "did you know they're making 2 sequels to LOTR". It really shocks me sometimes that people dont understand the themes of this film, which I thought pretty much anyone would understand and sympathise with.

I love these films, if not just because there arent many films made these days that are full of guns & explosions (check your dvd collection, even I am extremely guilty!:)) but because of the simple fact that we don't get the standard:- Start: something happens & our hero has too fix it - Middle: all goes belly up - End: Hero wins anyway, there is a lot more going on to keep me interested.

P.S. - You thread topic will get the ringnuts in here! :p

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IIRC, in Star Wars there were several concurrent strands going on at times .. presumably that caused people to lose track of the story as well. :D

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The Two Towers was always going to be difficut to bring to the cinema. It is in essence two seperate books in itself.

Yes TT does lack narrative and even Peter Jackson admits this and they had a nightmare time bringing it to the screen. The worst of the three.
    It does act as more of an interim between the 1st and 3rd film rather than a film on it's own.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Took me 3 attempts to read the book when I was a young 'un, once you get into it though it really becomes self explanatory why it was the most popular fiction released last century.

These films are genius :)

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Have to disagree there. This isn't the 'Star Wars' of our generation. LOTR surpasses 'Star Wars' in every conceivable way, and by eons or light years :D

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wasn't comparing them on a literary scale :D, merely wondering how someone who couldn't keep track of the comings and goings in LoTR would fair with something like Star Wars which was also non-linear. ;)

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think that is the Prequels' (Star Wars) main problem. Too much fekin about with small threads of story which are never really dealt with in-depth enough or at least trying to be too clever aka Star Trek and Stargate, it makes me so happy the one ring is not made of medichrlorins :p

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I take the point but I don't think LOTR will have quite the cultural significance that Star Wars had as an entity in its own right: regardless of its merits as a film.

I was barely old enough to remember what it was like when Star Wars came out and everybody ( I mean everybody) went crazy for it : even before the film came out in the UK people were buying the bubblegum cards and figures like crazy just on the back of the cultural tsunami it had caused in America. I had Star Wars merchandise before I even saw the movie ( and I'm talking before the first uk run).

Anything and everything that had Star Wars written on it had some sort of cachet. Nowadays with all the huge marketing energy employed by the latest films we are unimpressed by what we see as cynical marketing. Back then it was like the second coming. Everyone was nuts for Star Wars old, young, men women.

People were selling knock off star wars lighters and ashtrays on street corners and people would buy them.
    There was a rumour that if you managed to tune your TV into Ulster TV they were showing Star Wars every couple of weeks (before vcrs).

Nowadays I have a lukewarm reaction to Star Wars at best but back then it was almost religious the fervour it caused .

16. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    so far the first two films have taken 1.8 billion says it all me finks

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats what I hate about LOTR!! a like it more than Star Wars now :)

18. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree all three books were in essence one book, The Lord of the Rings. They only got split up into three books because it was too large for the publisher to print in one go.

A question asked several of the cast and crew in a recent interview was

What would you say to the six people who didn't enjoy the trilogy?

My two favourite answers are firstly from Billy Boyde (PIPPIN)

If you're the kind of person who doesn't enjoy a great story, with fantastic action and some of the greatest acting you'll ever see, I can see why you wouldn't like it.

and secondly from Karl Urban (Eomer)

F*#$ off Wally

:laugh: :laugh:

19. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, I IMHO "Star Wars" and "culture" are an oxymoron :).

The original 3 films were very good viewing, I enjoyed them immensely and in their day were groundbreaking effects-wise, however the books are shallow and pretty meritless based on the two I read.

As for the "Star Wars everywhere" effect you refer to, the merchandising was very well done, quite possibly the first major world-wide marketing and merchandising campaign Hollywood did and it was very successful .. one that was repeated umpteen times since with the likes of E.T. and on through to LoTR.

I think you'll find in 50 years time LoTR will still be the massively popular literature it is now, long after the hype over the films has gone, I don't see such longevity for Star Wars .. but then that maybe just my prejudices. ;)

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    the check shirt wearing one ruined Star Wars with his messing about - he just couldnt leave it alone. but if you think about it what else has he ever done? Some Indy Jones stuff? but what else?

Hes a one idea man who got lucky, he cant direct and he cant write. but the truth is that SW is not really that good - it held up in wonderment as this fantastic peice of film making - but i dont really see it myself. i was as excited as anyone when i was taken to see SW when i was 12 - but i'm 38 now and can see SW for what it really is - weak. GL will spend his life messing about with them because he has no other ideas. Christ, its not as though he needs the money is it? he should just leave them alone. But no the check shirted one just has to keep messing - shame he couldnt leave the trilogy as i was.

To get back to the thread - i dont know if LOTR will stand the test of time - all i will say is that i've really enjoyed the first two and fully expect to like the third. I've been happy to pay my money. the films have been directed by a man you understands his movies, understands the books and realises that the two mediums are different and require different approaches. but what i like most about PJ is that he understands DVD the two SE editions are without doubt the finest DVD's ever made, and my AV equipment thanks him.

roll on next wednesday!!!

Gary

21. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We thought the two towers was a bit of a let down.

22. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    These films are the reason I spent £1500 on a PJ and new DVD players so I could give them the justice they so richly and easily deserve. :smashin:

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Since getting TTT on extended dvd edition it has gone up in my esteem by quite a way.

The bit with Boromir address losgiliath really adds dimesion to both his and faromirs character, not to mention a good introduction of their father.

I've watched it 4 times since buying it and i think it's quite incrediable.

24. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I love the LOTR films and believe they are obviously far superior to Star Wars, but I have to agree on the point that Star Wars has made a much bigger impact on popular culture than LOTR.

I would say that Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker etc are household names now. If, for example, I asked my 89 year old grandfather, who has no interest in science-fiction films or Hollywood, 'Who is Darth Vader ?', he would instantly know what I was on about - but if I asked him about Bilbo Baggins or Sauruman, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't know.

I think Tolkein books have massively influenced the 'fantasy' genre, in respect to films, books, RPG's etc, but it can't match the way Start Wars has, and always will be, embedded in our popular culture.

25. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought after reading the books that TTT left to many issues out of the film, e.g Faromirs character is totally different in the book and the Ents march on Helm Deep however i do feel after watching TTT 3 times since that it totally redresses these issues and i do totally agree with the reasons he gives for changing the theatrical version, I just feel that those people that don't watch the EE are missing out,
    Star Wars, Love the firt 2, rest are rubbish . I do fell however that SW will age much more due to the effects. can't see this happening with TLOTR trilogy.
    Still it will be interesting a week on Fri to see what he's left out of TROTK, Can't wait.

Cheers.

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Are you sure?

LOTR was released in the 1930's don't forget. I'm sure he must have picked it up once in his life? :)

27. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You'd have thought so wouldn't you :) unless he was living in a hobbit hole

28. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think you can assume that absolutley everyone in the world has picked this book up once in their life just becuase it was out in the 1930's.

However, I bet everyone has heard of Darth Vader, even if they have never seen Star Wars

29. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    you should remember that the BAY CITY ROLLERS had a large impact in the 70's - and they were crap!!!

Gary

30. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    True - no one is saying that just becuase something is more popular than something else it is therefore better. Like I said in my first post, I think that LOTR far superior to Star Wars.