1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR. A disappointing classic?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by alan8477, Aug 10, 2002.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I read the books back in 1977 and was astounded. Listened to the Radio 4 serialisation when it was first broadcast, and though good, was a little disappointed. Although only sound, I couldn't escape the fact that Strider and one or two other castings didn't capture my imaginings. Like many others I felt the animated version was OK but again disappointing. I became resigned to the fact that such brilliant books could never be captured by any dramatised offering.

I saw Peter Jackson's attempt at the cinema last December. I enjoyed it but felt a little flat at the end of it. The director is clearly a craftsmen of great skill, but again, perhaps too much of a challenge for anyone.

Last week I received my DVD copy. Having watched it a second and third time I have changed my opinion.

This is an astounding piece of cinema, one which has surpassed my imaginings of the book. There is not a weak performance, Ian McKellen is monumental, Aragorn is leadership personified, Legolas is the very essence of elegance, the music is inspirational, scenery is awe inspiring, the screenplay is insightful. I could go on, but suffice to say that this is a film that grows with repeated watching.

This is without doubt a classic. My admiration for Peter Jackson is unbounded. JRRT would be content. I look forward to The Two Towers.

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to see the film, wasn't all that fussed as I'm not into fantasy ATALL. Watched the film and was bored stiff for 3 hours. I then picked up the book and fell in love with it, now I can't wait to watch the film again properly :)

3. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    although i really enjoyed it at the cinema,i was left feeling abit flat like you and many others.
    i watched it again the other night and it blew me away,just seemed to come across much better on the small screen

cant wait for the two towers:D

carl

4. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like a few others on here I also enjoyed it more on DVD than in the cinema, maybe my initial expectations for the movie at the cinema were just too high

5. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I still haven't seen it. I'm half tempted to wait until all 3 installments are available then just watch it in it's entire glory. 2 years is along time to wait though. I'll probably just crack and rush out to Tesco's at 10pm some evening and grab it for a fix.

BTW loved the book.

RDB :)

6. Bluetyler

Bluetyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did thoroughly enjoy it in the cinema. Probably because I went at a very quiet time. Couple of weeks after release. 11:30 in the morning, 5 people in a 300 seater. Superb.

Seriously, there are some movies best enjoyed with others. The majority are best viewed alone. IMHO

JG

P.S. Have been watching a 'screening copy' of the LOTR for the last few months, I've o'd!!! ;-)

7. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. I enjoyed it at the cinema but didn't quite feel it was the classic that the critics were hailing it and i left feeling a little under-whelmed.However, having watched the dvd twice, i now completely adore the film. Jackson has made a masterpiece and i have a genuine excitement about seeing what he delivers in the next two films.I also can't wait to purchase the 4 disc extended cut in November.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Really enjoyed it at the cinema.............although have to say I was getting a bit fidgety towards the end. One of my mates thought it was boring, he is more into The Mummy and Sixth day, which stangely I find boring so different strokes for different folks QED. Bit annoying to have to wait until november for the extended version and all the time I have to go through Safeways with copies calling out " buy me, buy me" , think I will have cracked in the next week or so. Just have to recoup some of the cost by selling it.

9. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe why we all seem to find that when we saw it at the cinema, we felt a bit flat after the film ended. Is maybe because the movie didn't have an ending.

Roll on The Two Towers & The Return of the King.

JD

10. fedupdad

fedupdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having not read LOTR before,I couldnt wait to watch it when the DVD came out last Tuesday,I thoroughly enjoyed the film from the beginning to the end,I lent it to my dad who couldnt get into it,he said it was to heavy for him.I have seen the animated version before and think this gave me an insight to the jist of things.I was going to buy it this weekend but have decided to wait until November when the extended/collectors editions come out.Then go and see The Two Towers when it comes to my local cinema.Can't wait.