1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lotr 4 disc

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sc1977, Nov 16, 2002.

1. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just bought lord of the rings 4 disc extended edition i knew it had a dts track which is what made me buy it even though i already have the normal dd one i havent watched it yet but my friend has just told e that the film is across 2 discs boy am i [swearing edited by mod] off. I think ill watch it once to see the extra 30 minutes of footage then in the future ill watch the one disc version.

has any one else got the hump about this?

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    [​IMG]

You bought this edition without actually checking what was on it? I think you will find most people are aware of this and are happy to accept it for thesoundtrack and extra length. DOH! [​IMG]

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    [​IMG]

It is one of the best films/dvds of all time, but you are taking it back because it is on two discs?! :confused:
    I must warn you then that Godfather II & Lawrence of Arabia are also unmissable home cinema experiences, but you probably wouldn't like them cos they are on two discs as well! :rolleyes: :p :D

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
  5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It amazes that (a) people are bothered by this and (b) they didn't know in the first place! It's not like it hasn't been banded around every DVD forum for the past six months. I'd rather have the movie spread across two discs rather than lose the DTS track or have poor video compression...

6. siven

siven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i finaly received the 4 disc version

are there any deleted scenes included on the 2 bonus discs?

7. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Some people are never happy are they? So you have to get up half way through the movie to change disc. Whats the problem? Are you Rik Waller?

Never mind the fact you get a superior version of the film and one of the best set of extras ever.

Some people don't know that they're born.

(Turn's off Victor Meldrew mode). Oh and I'm not a democrat and I don't think everyones entitled to their opinion.

8. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok ok iv had my little rant and i must admit im Wrong im eating humble pie as i speak and im spitting crumbs on my keyboard
    i have just finished watching lotr and i must say im dazzeled by picture and sound quality ok so im still not 100% happy about the film being spread across two discs B U T this IS a small price to pay for something as awsome as this!

I bet you lot are all loving it being I told u so's!

Thanx to all who posted
    lots of love
    BoB Waller (ricks bigger fatter brother) lol:D :D

9. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hmmmm..... i wonder why there was such a big outcry about Flipper Discs?
    Maybe it was something to do with the fact that you had to get up half way through the movie to turn the disc.;)

10. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    The difference with flipper discs was that the companies had the ability and technology to put the material on one side, but decided to cut costs (at the time) and use flippers when they weren't necessary.

With this version of LOTR, the technology doesnt exist to put the film onto one disc.

A distinct difference.

11. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive read on various forums that the dts soundtrack is awful though no where near as good as the dolby soundtrack, apparantly especially when the sub is used. Will have to wait till i get my copy before i can decide, never thought DTS was anything special anyway.

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Utter tosh. The DTS soundtack blows the DD track away especially if you have 6.1. There are a couple of odd pops but these are minor - you really have to be sad to get huffy about them.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 4 disk. I haven't watched it yet but the break in the middle is something that concerned me a little in the weeks leading up to the release, mainly because I was worried about where the break would take place. However, it is a minor issue for me now as I have been assured that the break is in a "good spot". So this should be a minor issue for everyone. Yes, I'd rather have it on one disk so that I can choose where I take my breaks (I don't care about dts or the commentaries anyway) but I would certainly not forego the extra footage for it! I consider it to be like watching Stephen King's It, or some other two-part drama. To be honest, I doubt I'm going to end up watching the movie in one sitting anyway and will probably end up watching it over two nights.

I think it would have been sensible to release 2 versions of the extended edition (the other version being one with the movie on one disk, but without commentaries and dts) so that we have a choice, but at the end of the day the people who moan and moan about the film being split are probably the same people who moan about French text on DVD covers. I don't wish to offend, but these people really need to wake up to themselves and release that what they're actually moaning about is trivial and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

14. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well i will have to wait till i get mine to decide, just going by what has been said on the dvd forums and dvd reviewer, people dont seem impressed.

15. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would love to comment,but the postman has nicked my copy along with my 24 boxset!!!!:mad:

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably held up in customs. They kept a little parcel of mine for 3 months once :( and it was within my allowance as well so they didn't even charge me anything :( What a waste of time :mad:

17. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I blame Rik Waller for everything. Something inside so strong, more like something inside with high calorific value and saturated fats......

Harvey is my hero.

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hurry up and watch it! Then you can tell us how much you love it! ;) :D

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Horrible, horrible cover version! The worst record in years (and that is saying something when you look at the other pop idol cover versions!) :rolleyes: :(

20. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love 2 disc DVD's. I always use the break to good effect, like toilet break, tea break & food break.

Why are the breaks on DVD better than the breaks you got on laserdisc? Some of them were truly awful. I had one that turned in the middle of an action scene. Metro, I think!

JD

21. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't the movie and extras have gone on two DVD18 disc's? i.e. Duel layer and Double sided. Could have gone in an amray case then.

JD

22. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why Rick Waller is the size he his today. Is because he was into home cinema :D Be warned.. hehehe!!!

JD

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but then you'd still have to get up to flip the disk over and it would mean you ended up with no nice labelling on the disks to boot. Better to have 4 single-sided disks than 2 flippers :)

24. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Agreed. 2 flippers with all those fingerprint problems. No thanks.

And now a complaint about the case. Personally I think its very impressive as it is thanks :)

25. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get round to watching my copy on Sunday. All I can say is wow. The best film in the world just get better. Sound and Picture quality nearly knocked me out my seat.

Extra scenes really add to the character development. Also the bit from the book that I was miffed they didn't include is there. The old marsh scene with the flies biting them. Small scene but I loved it's inclusion.

The point where you change disks is logical as well. Other film companies should take note. This is how a film should be presented, not necessarily 2 discs but the sound and picture quality. Awesome. Just awesome.

26. Kenneth.Hoiland

Kenneth.Hoiland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, Just wanted to also say what an amazing DVD this is. I can't wait for the 18th of December. I think I will see it again today. That DTS track is just amazing. The voice of Galadriel and Arwen gives me shivers

I found this little amuzing strip and thought you might like it :):

Nemi is a comic in Norway. It is about a Goth girl. Very popular as she looks upon things in the slightly skewered way of Generation X. The girl main character is a fantasy and black metal fanatic and a huge Tolkien Fan. She slept outside the cinema for the LOTR premiere. I translated the Norwegian text in the strip.

[​IMG]

Kenneth

27. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Funny enough, I AM off sick today!

Needless to say I took the chance to watch LOTR EE and have to say it really is amazing. Nearly every extra scene explains the story further, fills in a knowledge gap or enhances a character.

The DTS track is tops as well. A big thumbs up!

28. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Is the Two Towers 10 minute preview on the 4 disk Collectors Box set - if so where? I can't find it - am I being dumb or is it just in the 2 disk version?
    Any help appreciated - as for the film - haven't found the 3+hrs to watch it yet but the extras are worth watching.....

Cheers
    Les

29. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Disk two:

Go to the last page of the 'chapter/select a scene' section. Go down to the bottom of the chapters (I think 48 is the final chapter) press down again and a picture of two towers will appear - select it for the preview (introduced by P. Jackson) ;)