LOTR 4 Disc is my best of the year

Originally posted by Lex
The best use of base is during the prologue when *minor spoiler* Sauron Explodes! Fantastic sound effect - you can really feel it in your gut! class! :)

i'd would love to know what frequency that explosion goes down to, it's so low it's not really sound just pressure, surely below 10hz!:eek:

General Skanky:

I second the vote for adding this to your collection even if you own the original release as I also do. Believe me, the new disc is money very well spent...

I've got the first R1 2 disc edition, which I love and have watched several times. I am getting the 5 disc jobby with bookends for Christmas.

At the time I thought - "it wont hurt to wait an extra 6 weeks to get it, coz I've got the theatrical cut already...."

It does hurt - alot! I am reading this thread with growing jealously!!

I have the 2-disk R2 version which I am v impressed with. But after everyones raving about how much better the 4-disk Extended Edition is it seems I am going to have to visit CD-WOW very soon. I take it most of you all are talking about the R1 not R2?

Well, I've ordered my copy from AB Sound. It came to £20 all in with p&p. Amazon.ca were a smidge more.

Must keep up with the Jones's.:D

Well it arrived this morning. Wil go through it at some point. Here's hoping for 'money well spent'. ;)

just been in town and although I was going to wait saw the 4disc edition with bookends etc sitting there looking all sexy. Just had to have it ... god I love my credit card ...

and even better news, the wife is off out tonight .. wonder what Ill be doing ...

monkey

Fantastic disc, even on R2. Definitely gives the film better continuity and develops the characters. They should never have cut the scene with the Elves leaving Middle Earth, that put the story into proper perspective ie war. There was also a lot of development of the elven / human aliance and the elves disappointment with the rise and fall of the human race (almost parental concern ).

Unfortunately I cannot sample the DTS as I am only using a 5.1 decoder, the sound on standard dolby is about the same as the first disc and in the mine scene the music drowns the dialogue.

I await my new amp:)

Nothing really to add other than to confirm this is the Best DVD release I've ever seen and sets the standard for all future SE editions.

I've watched all of disks 3 and 4 and can honestly say that at no point during the (anamorphically enhanced) docos did I think ' come on wrap this up I'm getting bored.'

Outstanding in every way.

As we're quoting price, £17.38 on my credit card from DVDSOON for 4-disk R1 which arrived on Saturday 10th November.

Have to agree with you on the Doco's.
Very good stuff, and to think it was 6 hours long!
Where did the time go? :D

The stuff on the weaponry and armour was especially nice

Originally posted by General Skanky
Well it arrived this morning. Here's hoping for 'money well spent'. ;)

Whatdya reckon Skanky? Money well spent?

Well I'm laid up at home this week from work and I'll be going through it in the morning. Will let you know.;)

laid up at home? Oh you mean skiving off! ;) :D

:blush:

Won't get to watch it today now. The wife is also ill! So we're finishing off 24 which is truely awesome in itself. Didn't watch it on TV and we're now onto the last 4 episodes.:D

LOTR on Friday instead. Sopranos takes up the viewing tonight.:)

Well, I finally got to watching it yesterday.

It certainly did seem better than the original release. I used the DD mix, and I'd have thought they were the same on the differing versions, but it 'seemed' better on the special ed. Is that me? I don't think so. didn't try DTS. Will do at somepoint in the future, but the DD sound was great anyway.

Picture seemed again a bit better. If you asked me to quantify it, I couldn't, it was the impression I was left with. More involving?

It is worth it. A better all round disc set. I liked it.

I can be so sure of my 'critical' :)grin:) opinion because.............. when I loaded the 2nd disc, it was the same as part one!!! From production I'd had part 1 labelled as part 2! So I couldn't watch the whole film via special ed. :( Devastated. So I had to watch the rest from the end of the council on my original disc. Somehow, even though still good, the whole thing shrank back a bit, if you know what I mean?

Going to send it back and get a replacement set. Nice way to finish the weekend.:)

Anyway, the moral - buy the Special Edition. It is better.

Can anyone tell me if the DD EX track is flagged or not please?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom