1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by equate, Jun 29, 2003.

1. equate

equate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Im redoing our home stereo system, right now its some assortment of speakers made god knows when. Anyways, the way the main part of our system is setup is just a 2 floor speaker design, stereo. Then it branches out into other rooms. We have 8 Speakers and 1 sub as of now. Im replacing the 2 main speakers and sub which are blown. These speakers are mainly used just for movies so I want them to sound good. The rest of the speakers just stream music when we have guests over. So theres music in every rooms hence the 8 speakers. I first looked at a 5.1 system but wiring would be next to inpossible for me to do it cleanly in our house. I got a pair of JBL S3811s to replace my main speakers and im going to get a PB12 sub. Ok so heres my question, how do I power all of this? These speakers are 175 watts each, and every reciver I look at is 100 max each channel and its 5.1. I don't want 5.1, I just want plain stereo, and at the same time I need to power several other rooms how do I get this all going?

That might be confusing but heres a pic that might help you understand what im trying to do.

Layout

Then just some pics of the rest of the system, maybe someone will know what I have :)

System

Thanks a lot sorry for the long post

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Firstly the JBL's are 89dbw and 175w is a maximum rating, they'll work happily with an amp half that output or lower. SVS make good subwoofers.

I assume the speakers in the other rooms aren't working yet as this is still at the planning stage? So do they need to be controlled from those rooms and playing different sources or are they just going to play the same as the Main system?

A stereo reciever running the main speakers, with it's pre outs or multiroom phonos connected to a multichannel power amp for the other zones looks like the simplest solution.

Denon, Harman Kardon, NAD and Rotel all do the sort of thing for a simple system.

QED do an easy to install and flexible system but it's not cheap.

Have you tried your local dealers for any ideas or is it a real DIY install?

3. equate

equate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It basically a DIY, I do DIY for everthing :), but anyways yes the other rooms are hooked up, there very small speakers though, probably like 75 watts max, realistically maybe only 10 to each one. the music/"rear" ones may have about 50 going to to them. Is there a particular model anyone could recooment just for stereo? Oh and also all the rooms don't need to play different things its all just one input.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You say the other speakers are already hooked up. How are you powering the speakers in the other rooms or have you only run speaker cable to them?

Stereo receivers are easy to find and I'm not sure quite why you can't find on that is suitable. What do you want it to do?

cheers

5. equate

equate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are all just plugged into one of the wire clamps for left and right. We have a small amp that basically lets us select speakers "a" and "b" Im trying to get a multi room one that I can select which speaker sets to go. I have 5 sets of speakers (forgot I have 2 outdoor ones) That I would also like to select to be on or off.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Rotel RA 1060 amp for mains and a Rotel RMB 1048 (40 watts x 8 into 8 ohms) = 10 channels of quality sound. Then a QED-type multi-switch thingy on each set of speaker cable for on/off duties?

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Equate: I think I've got your current system sorted in my head now :clap:

How much money have you got?
    And how multiroom do you want to go?

I don't know of any receivers that have all the amps built in for the number of speakers you want to run.

A QED or similar 5 way speaker switch will let you turn on/off each room and from one amp. But without additional controls there'll be no way of changing the individual volumes and the amp my not be happy powering so many speakers.

Harman Kardon do a PA 4000 amp that can run 4 zones with the same input and additional keypads will control the volume in those rooms. you should be able to run it off the tape out on your main system.

The Denon receivers are multizone, add a Rotel RMB-1048 to power the other zones.

My preference would be for a Receiver with multizone outputs (Rotel, Denon etc.) running into the PA 4000 as it will allow you to listen to and control a different source to the main system in the other rooms.

There's loads of products out there (as you'll see if you search for multi room) so the above are just some ideas. The websites all have downloadable manuals so you can see if they would work.
    Have I got close to what you were thinking or missed by miles?

8. equate

equate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of gettin a Denon DRA-395, im running near budget too.. so... Im going to have to hold off on that amp. Hopefully this little guy will power something :)

9. equate

equate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I thought it over and here what Im going to do. I have an old amp as it is, and my old reciever is shot. So, I will use this main reciever to power my 2 main JBLs then for the multirooms stuff I will just use my ols amp (not trying to go for quality here). So hopefully it will all work out. Thanks guys