lost the will for film.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Since 78 I/we have been regular movie goers and the cinema was always a sense of occasion..didn't matter if the film was good or bad as we had fun talking about the experience afterward. Not been since Gravity and even let my season ticket pass now, this has even crept into my purchases of BD films and I thought it was because I followed the threads to closely on here for the latest snippets. So I stayed away hoping the hunger would return...it has not I'm afraid and we are at a loss as cinema and a meal was a staple diet of our lives ( so to speak ). Not really a discussion topic for you out there just a passion lost for the time being :( I hope.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Since 78 I/we have been regular movie goers and the cinema was always a sense of occasion..didn't matter if the film was good or bad as we had fun talking about the experience afterward. Not been since Gravity and even let my season ticket pass now, this has even crept into my purchases of BD films and I thought it was because I followed the threads to closely on here for the latest snippets. So I stayed away hoping the hunger would return...it has not I'm afraid and we are at a loss as cinema and a meal was a staple diet of our lives ( so to speak ). Not really a discussion topic for you out there just a passion lost for the time being :( I hope.

I wouldn't worry, there is more to life than cinema, films and av. Perhaps a change of scenery will do you good?

Bill Hicks

Banned
Very rarely do I (we) go to the cinema these days. Too many idiots and teens imo and I find the whole experience to be mostly an anxious and annoying process. We have used the BFI IMAX a lot over the past few years but I've seen the bad element creeping into there as well of late, you know people (mostly women) who cannot spend more than 5 minutes without checking their phones. This combined with what I consider a real dearth of films that warrant a cinema visit has turned me into an armchair movie viewer. I have a Panny 50" plasma/Denon 7.1 combo so why would I need to visit my local multiplex. Of course I will be venturing out to the cinema when Episode VII is released but I think there would have to a very good film released before then that'll make me want to go out to the cinema and see it.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Very rarely do I (we) go to the cinema these days. Too many idiots and teens imo and I find the whole experience to be mostly an anxious and annoying process. We have used the BFI IMAX a lot over the past few years but I've seen the bad element creeping into there as well of late, you know people (mostly women) who cannot spend more than 5 minutes without checking their phones. This combined with what I consider a real dearth of films that warrant a cinema visit has turned me into an armchair movie viewer. I have a Panny 50" plasma/Denon 7.1 combo so why would I need to visit my local multiplex. Of course I will be venturing out to the cinema when Episode VII is released but I think there would have to a very good film released before then that'll make me want to go out to the cinema and see it.
That's not what the OP is getting at. He's not talking about going out to the cinema he's talking about losing interest in watching films in general. Let's not turn this into another thread about peoples bad experiences at the cinema.

I sometimes have periods of time when I lose interest in watching films, last year was a case in point. I watch films all the time, 4 or 5 a week but last year I watched a total of 37 films. That's not even one a week. I can't remember a year where I watched so few films. So far this year the only films I've watched have been at the cinema, Gravity, 12 years a Slave and Winter Soldier.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
The post 9/11 trend of depicting massive decimation of cities is incredibly tiresome. Godzilla is the latest film that I have seen to be churning it out. The Superhero bubble has burst IMO too. Studios seem to be a little unsure of where to go next. Gravity implied that perhaps a space trend maybe on its way. If Interstellar can be decent perhaps that will kick off another space trend. I suspect it will. I still love film and the cinema but I agree that something has gone stale.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member

Raduv, dont worry about it, you are just being a little burnt out from rapid moviegoing. Sometimes stress in other parts of your life can affect. Take a break. I get a bit burnt out too often in not just moviegoing but sports and other hobbies. I got burnt out with my first love of cricket, took a couple years break and got back with in fresh with high ambitions to do well. Now I have squash, astronomy and reading hobbies to fall back on. Do something different and enjoyable...my new hobby in astrophotography in the last couple of years have been very therapeutic for me. Then you will start to miss the movies and come back to it with renewed enthusiasm :)

Werewolfs

Do you think its the films that are boring you or the cinema going experience.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Do you think its the films that are boring you or the cinema going experience.

Never had a problem with the cinema...ever and the best moments have been the film's that have led the audience as a whole joining in Clapping,cheering and the like.
I also can't comment on the film's being boring as I've not been to see any for a while or purchased any new released BDs ( although I am still buying the older remastered films ). At the moment we just can't find anything to interest us enough to get out there and get motivated about. This might be due to the abundant amount of great series out in tv land that over the last few years that have taken up a lot of viewing time and we both enjoy.

Hoping Interstellar gets the juices flowing again and moves the blockbuster back in the direction of story first over destruction for distractions sake.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
IMO tv has hit the peak past couple of years and the likes of Black Mirror, Fargo, Broadchurch, Killing, House of Cards, Breaking Bad and Game of thrones takes entertainment to a whole new level.

Last edited:

CrackDown

I've felt like this for the past couple of years. I put it down to the number of fresh, original films have been ever decreasing since the 90s to the point now where nearly every movie in the cinema is either an adaptation of a comic/book, a reboot, or a prequel/sequel. I like to be surprised and find the best films are the ones I don't even know anything about. The story is meant to unfold before us and keep us guessing along the way. What's the point going to see something like Godzilla? Surely we know how all those big monster movies go, we've seen enough of them!

TV has definitely taken over the reins of quality narrative storytelling, because it seems studios like HBO are more willing to uphold creative integrity over pandering to the masses (which they don't need, because quality stories told well will bring the viewers for the long haul, not some marketing trickery or generic, universally relatable characters). I don't know what the future holds, but I can see film trying to mimic the way TV has gone after seeing such a surge in success. Fingers crossed they do, and we start seeing some good films again.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Little bit of an unfair comparison to compare TV and Film...hear me out. Although they are delivering via the same medium they are extreme opposite ends of that medium. If a screen writer and/or director has hundreds of hours available to flesh out character development and narrative then how can a feature compete. Writing and directing a feature film is completely different beast IMHO and are both arts in themselves (for every breaking bad I can point out a Flash Forward).

I (and I suspect most of you too) go into the cinema and know what the trailers are the second they start. I follow teasers and info online religiously. If I see a split second of Tom Cruise in an Exo suit prior to seeing Godzilla, I know its for Edge of Tomorrow. That started about 15 years ago when the Apple quicktime webpage started hosting all the upcoming trailers in one place. That changed the way I enjoyed movies forever. The anticipation changed, not necessarily for the worse, but it definitely changed.

The SuperHero arms race has imploded in my opinion. I think Hollywood Studios grossly over estimated peoples interest in them. I am a moderate comic book fan but even I don't really see the excitement for Guardians of the Galazy or Antman. They could be great films but I suspect Joe Public won't be engaged in the same way they were for Man of Steel (which was disappointing).

That said, is it any coincidence that Disney, the biggest player in the Super Hero trend, has spent billions on the jewel in the crown of the next big trend...Star Wars.

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Never had a problem with the cinema...ever and the best moments have been the film's that have led the audience as a whole joining in Clapping,cheering and the like.
Only very, very rarely go to the cinema now (got my own at home) but in all the times I have been I've never once been when the audience have started to clap, cheer, etc. That would completely do my head in....

Lost Highway

I found that as I got older my interest in Hollywood blockbusters has diminished. There is still the occasional film of that type which I enjoy, but most of them are just too childish and repetitive for a middle aged man like me. I now search out a lot of smaller and foreign films which are far more diverse. They are more reliant on good characterisation, thought provoking subject matter and they feature different approaches of film-making, which I find more stimulating than yet another film about giant robots or monsters bashing each other up.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Love going to cinema
Love watching movies at home
Love Netflix
Love Blu ray
Love Hollywood blockbusters
Love good cgi and special effects
Love good acting
Love thought provoking films
Love 'artistic' type films
Love trailers for new films
Love rewatching older films

I'm 40 years old. Movies are still awesome.

**** cynicism.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Love going to cinema
Love Netflix
Love Blu ray
Love good acting

**** cynicism.

Is it a renewed passion ? Didn't you have a spell away from watching movies...I maybe wrong but I seem to remember a post where you missed out for a fair amount of films over a period of time.

Anyway you bloody youngsters will watch any old crap ;).

Last edited:

J.J.GITTES

Distinguished Member
Love going to cinema
Love Netflix
Love Blu ray
Love good acting

**** cynicism.

This x 100 , my passion for film is getting stronger as I get older and it is really the only pastime I have now as other hobbies I have had over the years I have lost all interest in.

I think the main reason for it getting stronger is looking for films other then big summer blockbusters , I love them when they get them right but there is more to film then that , so maybe explore a bit more other then just waiting for the marketing machine to roll in to town.At the moment I have been watching all Burt Lancaster films , he has made some real gems over the years

Another good option is to watch Mark Cousins spell-binding documentary about the History of film , it real does make you go in other directions.

Oh and reading this forum which I do enjoy and reading about people's different tastes in film as I do like to read what other people think even if they are wrong most of the time:D

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Only very, very rarely go to the cinema now (got my own at home) but in all the times I have been I've never once been when the audience have started to clap, cheer, etc. That would completely do my head in....

I don't mean in the American " You The man " over the top in your face example...we as Brits are more restrained and polite. I do remember an eruption of cheering/clapping in the finale of Jaws , the whole audience singing at the end of Life of Brian and the whole of the female audience screaming during Arachnaphobia and then a big from them "yeah" in the final act.

Don't see it now days though I will admit.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I'm getting a bit long in the tooth but I still love film. Both old and new. I hate going to the cinema because of all the distractions but I can't imagine a time when I could ever feel jaded with the delight of watching an excellent film. Even the less than excellent variety can often fill me with joy.

I've heard that suffering from stress often removes the pleasure from enjoying films, TV, books, etc. I hope that's not your problem but if it is you should seek help asap. Regardless I hope you somehow can renew your enthusiasm.

Regards
Bri

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
This is true. When I've suffered bouts of depression or anxiety it drains the joy out of everything, film included. Sometimes it's good to return to a film I've seen during those times to find its colour has returned, and enjoy it afresh.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
This x 100 , my passion for film is getting stronger as I get older and it is really the only pastime I have now as other hobbies I have had over the years I have lost all interest in.

I think the main reason for it getting stronger is looking for films other then big summer blockbusters , I love them when they get them right but there is more to film then that , so maybe explore a bit more other then just waiting for the marketing machine to roll in to town.At the moment I have been watching all Burt Lancaster films , he has made some real gems over the years

Another good option is to watch Mark Cousins spell-binding documentary about the History of film , it real does make you go in other directions.

Oh and reading this forum which I do enjoy and reading about people's different tastes in film as I do like to read what other people think even if they are wrong most of the time:D
Mark Cousins? The voice....the horror!

Cant stand that strange accent. Shame as I would have enjoyed the documentary with anyone else narrating!

brian s

Distinguished Member
This is true. When I've suffered bouts of depression or anxiety it drains the joy out of everything, film included. Sometimes it's good to return to a film I've seen during those times to find its colour has returned, and enjoy it afresh.

Well done for owning up to that. It's still pretty much of a stigma. As I said I hope raduv1 hasn't this problem but it's great to hear you've come back and are enjoying films again.

Bri

J.J.GITTES

Distinguished Member
Mark Cousins? The voice....the horror!

Cant stand that strange accent. Shame as I would have enjoyed the documentary with anyone else narrating!

He does seem that voice affects a lot of people but I have never had a problem with it since I have been following him for the last twenty or so years, also I have his new film in front of me to watch this weekend , A story of Children and Film , which I really looking forward to watching after Bradshaw in The Guardian gave it top marks along with Kermode.

Shame you are missing out on a real treat.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone