1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost soul

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DR.J, Feb 21, 2005.

1. DR.J

DR.J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all ive been reading these fourms for a while now think itzs great folk like myself have a site like this where we can get tips and advice from people who know what ther talking about.after reading losts of posts. i gatherd demos were the way to go to see what i liked .so today i went to see a pj at my local sony shop where i thought they had a HS50 but it was a HS20 but as ive never seen a pj working i demoed the HS20 which he said was similar. I had 2 fast 2 furious DVD with me which ive seen a few times. off went the lights down came the huge screen the 5.1 kicked in by this point i was already dreaming of all this in my livingroom then the film started . I was gutted all i had compare it to was the photos of folks HC screen shoots on these fourms which look great nice colours and blacks this is not what i saw . I saw a preety washed out dull picture with poor colour hardly eny detail visible. the best way i can describe it is as if i was looking throught smoke.i must say althought the lights were down and shutters were down i felt it wasnt very dark .i have been looking in to a pj for dvds and ps2 for a while and look throught these fourms reguler and making lots of plans for my very own HC and have loved learning all this new stuff. i have most of my HC kit 5.1 decant DVD thought a pj and screen would just finish it off.but after today i just dont want to spend 2grand to end up with what i saw today. if eny one has a screen shot of a hs50 throght a mid range dvd. 2fast 2 furious if possible so i could compare it to i would be very very gratefull.as i dont want to give up yet please help lost soul

2. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I have a HS50 and 2 Fast 2 Furious and must say - in a pitch black room it looks fantastic - as good as my SONY TV but much much bigger!!!! This is the same for all DVD's - they look great - I'm really really pleased with my spend of £1600 - in a pitch black room I don't know how the picture could look better. As for screen shots - well because of the longer exposure times the colours and blacks look even better than real life - if thats possible. Best thing is to see one for yourself - make sure the room is very dark to get the best picture. BTW my room is dark (no lights) but it is painted cream and white with cream carpets - picture looks great anyway!!!! Cheers, Jason.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Hi DrJ.

By chance, I use 2 Fast 2 Furious as a demo disc due to the colours, blacks, and superb opening soundtrack. There are 2 pictures on my website from the film, where the characters are sitting on their cars, and where the car is driven (!!!) onto the boat.

Don't be put off by what you have seen to date :)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Dr J
    What a disappointment this must have been. Your experience is one example of when buying "blind" may be a distinct advantage! UrbanT has owned a TX100 and says the new Sony HS50 is better, and if it's better the TX it must be a storming machine. Buy with confidence, and be prepared to be WOWed! :thumbsup:
    ...PJ

5. DR.J

DR.J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys . i hoped today wouldnt waste it for me . but after seeing urban T HC. today iz a distant memory but a good learing experiance . urban T tha iz one classy set up m8 you have restored my faith in the rocky path to HC heaven .I also wonderdabout the affect light walls and ceailing would have on the picture as i have white walls and ceailing glad to here Xaser 1066 you dont find this has a huge affect on the picture . are the eny screens that dont reflect as much light of the screen on to walls etc . Urban T i already have a sony HT-K25 home theater system .Sony RDR-GX700 DVD recorder it has 12 bit 108mhz precision cinema proggresive RGB input output dont know how good a dvd player it is as it was bought more to save space than what it could do as i mostly used it for music through the 5.1.but would this dvd with the right cables still preduce a good colourful image throught the hs 50 . thanks again to all for the help

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Hi DrJ, I wish I could answer your questions re the equipment you own, unfortunately I can't comment as I've never seen it in action.

My only word of warning is that pictures are just that, and are worthless for comparing projectors. Nothing replaces a good demo :)