Lost my SMS settings (MMS is ok)...

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I removed my Simplicity sim from my iPhone to test SWMBO's new phone, stuck it back in my iPhone and lost my SMS settings.

MMS is ok using: wap.co.uk/vertigo/password, but no matter what I try I can't send a text. :confused:

I've tried wap.o2.co.uk/vertigo/password, I've tried mobile.co.uk/vertigo/password and mobile.o2.co.uk/o2wap/password and still I just get the red exclamation mark when I send an SMS. :suicide:

HELP!

Ta. :smashin:

Last edited:

CH_Peter

At your own risk: Settings --> Network --> Cellular Data Network. At the bottom "Reset Settings". I am on o2 contract and messed something up when trying to set up MMS early. This worked for me.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
At your own risk: Settings --> Network --> Cellular Data Network. At the bottom "Reset Settings". I am on o2 contract and messed something up when trying to set up MMS early. This worked for me.

Thanks, but I think that will just bring back the idata.o2.co.uk settings that the sim brings down when reinserted.

CH_Peter

That would be where to start from, knowing at least you had everything clean. I had "lost" a whole section from that screen, so I would say it's a good start.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Well I give up.... :suicide:

I still can't send a text, so I'll try ringing O2 this morning to see what they say. :(

[Edit] - I can receive, as I just had one come through from my bank, I just can't send.... :confused:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Well I spoke to O2 who said it could be a faulty siom card, so they are sending me a new one.

The lady also commented that my sim is not a 3G one. :eek:

I told her that the sim is about 3 years old and that I got it when I got my Sony Ericsson K800i and that both that phone and my iPhone show a 3G signal, so I'm not sure why she thought it wasn't 3G. :confused:

She just kept repeating that my sim wasn't a 3G one.... :rolleyes:

So I'll see if my ability to send texts changes when my new "3G" sim arrives.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
My new sim has arrived already.... :eek:

I've stuck it in, but the iPhone just says "No Service". :thumbsdow

Do I need to ring O2 to get them to do anything (there were nothing else in the envelope to tell me what I need to do :rolleyes: )?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Spoke to O2 and lady explained that they needed to 'kill' the old sim to activate the new one. She did it there and then, I rebooted the iPhone a couple of times and hey presto I've got service and I can send texts again! :clap:

Top marks to O2 for efficiency, I only spoke to them yesterday-the sim arrived this morning and I'm working again already-can't argue with that. :smashin:

I guess they are on a little bit of a PR mission at the mo with the iPhone about to be offered by Orange and Vodafone, but with service like that I'm not complaining!

What's the best setting to enter in to "Cellular Data" and "MMS Settings"?

D

Deleted member 171211

Sounds like your SIM had lost its message centre address, which most phones can edit (although apparently not the iPhone). Not sure what the O2 message centre address is, but to give you an example, Orange has 447973100973. No message centre address, no sending text messages.

The settings you were changing are to do with WAP and MMS, nothing to do with SMS, for future reference.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom