Lost my dish position!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Stellavision, May 26, 2004.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Having had a builder up ladders the other day my dish got knocked. He repositioned it and everything seemed fine. However, I discovered last night that certain channels were missing, so I went up the ladder to try and sort the problem. There seemed to be a small glitch with the pitch, so I undid the bolt to try and angle it up a little more. However, I have now lost everything!!!
    After doing slow sweeps last night I am now stuck with no tv and the earliset Sky can send out an engineer is Saturday. If I can't get Play house disney or CBeebies on my life will not be worth living.
    Is there anything else I could try???
    Any tips for installing a dish?
    If it makes a difference it has dual lnb for Sky +

:lease:

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've not done it myself, but you can find it by trial & error (like the builder) follow the direction of other nearbye dishes. I'm sure the directions etc are on here somewhere if you've a compass. My dad did his & when it was near I watched the Tele, he tweeked the dish & I told him when the picture was ok. It just took time.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Bought a sat finder kit on special from Maplins for £19.99.
    Lined up the dish to the strongest signal and Bobs your uncle, fully restored Sky service.
    Should set up a side line in Sky installation! :D

4. homerj2

homerj2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Trapped in time surrounded by evil and low on gas
    Ratings:
    +18
    you have a private message. please help me with this :lease:

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi
    Got your pm. Had a bbq and been drinking all day and may head is a shed at the minute.
    Will get back to you soon. :zonked:

6. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Stellavision
    Hi can you tell me did this kit set up the Signal Strength, are Signal Quality
    are both as im trying to set up my dish i have full Signal Strength but no Signal Quality @all any help thanks

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The meter is detecting the strongest signal from the sat which you are pointing at. Make sure your dish is pointing roughly at 19 degrees east for the Astra satelites, then you are tweaking your dish position to get the stongest signal.
    I don't understand how you can have full signal strength but no signal quality.

8. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i have just put it on the wall and im trying to set it up by eye. By looking @ dish's close to me so i got it going the right way just got no signal quality thats why i was asking if this kit pics the signal quality up as if it dose ill go buy 1 if it dont then there no nead for it

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It is impossible to set set up a dish by eye, believe me I tried. The dish may look like it's pointing in the right direction, but get it a centimetre out and that small cm turns into many many miles away from the satelite in space.
    The quality of your signal is determined by signal strength. A satelite dish is'nt like a tv aerial, in that you can't movie it around to improve the quality of the signal going into the tv to improve the picture quality.
    Getting the stongest signal on your sat finder metre ensures that you have the best possible lock onto the satelite in space. A weaker signal won't simply give you a grainy picture, but tv with the odd channel missing at best, or no tv at all.
    As an example, last week I had sky with a very good picture, until I hopped throught the channels and discovered I was missing the movie channels and a few others. I tried to fix it without a metre and just lost everything.
    You don't buy the metre to improve the signal quality, because you can't. You buy it to install your dish and to ensure the strongest signal and most positive lock onto Sky's Astra satelites.

10. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks m8 what do you think to the kit from maplin ??

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The kit isn't fancy but does the job just fine.

12. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    got the kit to day just opend it up and the power cable is missing so that sucks
    if if was not raining to day i would have found out soner so look's like its going back and getting swopt all so this one looks like its bean used before i got it grubby as hell oh wall

13. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no professional when it comes to satellite but I have managed to install and setup Sky digibox's and dishes for friends and relatives. So here's just a small reply to your questions....You can be pointing at a satellite in the sky and picking up a great signal strength but unless you're actually pointing at the correct satellite you won't get any signal quality, so I think you ain't pointing at the astra satellite. If you have the same sat finder kit that I bought, albeit from a different outlet, then it should come with the meter, an lnb cable, a compass and possibly a battery pack. If you have the lnb cable then there is no need for any sort of power lead. You disconnect the existing cable that is currently connected to the lnb and plug it into the meter which I think from memory says "from box". The other cable that comes in the box is then connected to the meter which says "to lnb" and then connected to the lnb. You should then sweep for the strongest signal strength in the astra direction. when you have found the satellite your box will indicate that it has locked onto the signal. come out of the menu and see what the channel banner says and if it shows the current time, date etc then you have locked onto the astra satellite. All you then have to do is tweak the dish until you have the best signal quality, keep reducing the gain and going for the maximum reading on the meter. (That's providing you do have the same meter as me?) best of luck

14. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks m8 ill give it ago