Lost my centre speaker

tasman

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just connected my sky hd box to the xbox as I am on the preview programme and am trying out the one guide stuff. That is all working perfectly. However I now seem to have lost my centre speaker. I am using PCM but all the audio is now coming from the left and right speakers. Previously my sky box was connected via optical to my receiver. Changing to using hdmi appears to mean my centre speaker is ignored. Don't like spoken dialog coming from the L&R speakers so is there any way to fix this?

This is only an issue when watching sky tv. Blurays and netflix work fine and output audio using all speakers. As do games.

Might be silly but have you checked speakers are set to 5.1 and not 2.1 or stereo?

Are you sure the programmes you are watching on Sky are 5.1 and not just stereo? as stereo would be left and right speakers only.

Also have you enabled the Set Top box Surround Sound option? as that is needed to pass through 5.1

also check the beta surround option is ticked

Yes have ticked all those boxes. Think the problem might be that my amstrad sky box is too old and can't do 5.1 over HDMI. I know the more modern boxes do but mine is over 5 years old. I get 5.1 when I use the optical connection so for now I'm just going to have to change inputs on my receiver when I watch tv and remember to change it back for having and everything else.

Yes have ticked all those boxes. Think the problem might be that my amstrad sky box is too old and can't do 5.1 over HDMI. I know the more modern boxes do but mine is over 5 years old. I get 5.1 when I use the optical connection so for now I'm just going to have to change inputs on my receiver when I watch tv and remember to change it back for having and everything else.

Your assumption is correct. No 5.1 over HDMI on older sky boxes.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom