Lost my back speakers on BD350

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BISHI, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Have just upgraded to 7.1 using an onkyo 605, 350 plugged into Cab/sat input on amp (Hdxe1 into DVD), it is registering tru HD on the amp but nothing is coming from the back speakers.... Do I somehow have to set the BD350 to 7.1 or am I doing something wrong with the amp.....:(

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Have you got the player set to BD Direct in the audio setup.

3. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Yep, just tested HDXE1 as well and same there, thought I had this sorted a while back but on closer listening there is nothing coming from the rear 2 speakers. Test tone works on all 7 speakers and Tru HDlit up on amp .....Wierd :(

4. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am waiting to hear my first 7.1 as well. My problem is that I have not got hold of a 7.1 disc yet. I have never had 7.1 from my HD DVD player (EP35), I bought Pan's Labyrinth but UK editions are only 5.1. I recently bought a BluRay player (Panasonic BD35) but I have not yet managed to get or borrow any 7.1 discs. I have some requested from LoveFilm but they have not arrived yet.

I did find one odd thing with the BD35 and a DTS HD MA track which I described in another thread. When I set the player to bitstream, the Onkyo says DTS HD MSTR 5.1 which matches the description in the disc's menu. But, when I set the player to PCM, the amp says PCM 7.1. It seems that the player presumes that DTS HD MA is 7.1 and flags the signal so. My 7.1 set up is only temporary and I did not bother to set it up in this case since I guessed that the extra channels will be silent. I am waiting to get a disc that claims to be 7.1 before bothering to set them up.

Do you have any discs with 7.1 soundtracks?

5. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I'm a plank. I just assumed all truHD would be in 7.1 ... Hope that means I haven't just wasted all that extra cash on 2 more speakers. :(

6. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sadly, not all TrueHD or DTS HD MA tracks are 7.1 but some are. I can't say what proportion but I managed to track down a few and order them from LoveFilm, they just have not come yet.

In the meantime, your amp my have extension modes to invent the extra channels. On my Onkyo 605, an example is PLIIx. Some purists don't like these but I say try them. Maybe you like the effect and maybe you don't but if you already have the 7.1 set-up, it won't hurt to try. I find that the effect is quite good on at least some films but I have not yet heard how good real 7.1 is.

I just discovered that some of my discs, even an SD one, have 6.1 but I have not set up my 7.1 since noticing this. In my case, my permanent set-up is 5.1 but I occasionally borrow speakers from another room and move the furniture around a bit to get 7.1. I have the cables permanently in place so this can be done fairly quickly.

7. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Is PLIIX a virtual 7.1 for 5.1 soundtracks ? I'm kinda finding it annoying that I have to keep moving my 5.1 rears back and forward every time I want 7.1...
    A DSP setting would be worth it just so I can leave them where they are.
    You wouldn't post that list of 7.1 movies would you, All I have is Rendition on Blu Ray.:smashin:

8. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My Onkyo 605 offers a number of modes which will extend 5.1 (even 2.0) to 7.1. There are several Dolby PLIIx modes and some others as well. I hope that extending 5.1 to 7.1 is more effective than 2.0 to 5.1 or 7.1. Of course, you won't get precise positional effects from these modes but they will spread the action about a bit. So, if the surrounds are just adding some atmosphere these modes can give a good effect.

I am not an expert on the availability of 7.1 sountracks, I have not got one myself yet but I have found this website: Blu-ray Disc Statistics You can subset the list by many criteria including whether the soundtrack is 7.1. One example which I have on order from LoveFilm is Bangkok Dangerous.