Lost Mux2 on Sagem PVR6200 Freeview HD recorder

creator48

Standard Member
:lease:I use a Sagem PVR6280 Freeview HD Recorder & after yesterday's (30/9) retune, I've lost all channels on Mux 2. All the other channels tuned perfectly. I've checked the aerial by re-tuning my Freeview Panasonic DVD recorder with perfect results. I also disconnected everything else except the TV from the Sagem, but the reset/retune produced the same inglorious results.I'm not aware of any maintenance issues at the Bluebell Hill transmitter & I live in a good reception area of Essex. Previously to 30/9, I had good reception on all channels. Can any soul out there shine a light on my woes, - (or even a twinkle would be appreciated!) Thanks.

Last edited:

creator48

Standard Member
Sorry Royold - I tried a manual scan for 24 & it could'nt find a station. I already use a booster in the loft. I'm guilty of some misinformation here - my aerial's beamed on Crystal Palace (something to do with the Thames Valley shadow!)

Last edited:

ROYOLD

creator48

Standard Member
Thanks for bearing with a freeview novice Royold. I already have an aerial booster in the loft, also a fairly new high gain aerial. Is that the same as a Type A?

ROYOLD

It was noted on the link I gave you that Band A aerials are coded with a red band. This may have worn off if the aerial has been up for some considerable time. If the aerial was installed by professionals then it should be band A. If it was purchased from a local store & installed privately then its probably Wideband as these are the type of aerials local stores stock.
You cannot usually tell just by sight what type of grouping the aerial is because there are subtle differences in the lengths of the individual elements.

See what this link says under "Major A Group Transmitters"

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials

Try a manual rescan for channel 22 but as the link states note that this is at the bottom end of the band and the worst possible for a wideband aerial.

Last edited:

creator48

Standard Member
Thanks for the help Rayrold. I looked at my 2 yr old aerial & it does'nt have a colour identifier. I manually tuned Ch 22 & it displayed :
Signal strength: 67%
Signal quality: 98%
Viterbl BER: <1.0E_7>
C/N: 24dB
& still can't receive Mux 2. I think my problem might lie in software so I'm going to phone Sagem Tech Support next. (08450 900316 if anybody else needs it!):mad:

ROYOLD

You need the signal quality to be 100% for good freeview reception but with 98% I would expect the mux to be received - perhaps with some block breakup.

Pity that you do not have another freeview box to try at this aerial position. If this was my setup I would try another one of my STBs to prove whether the Sagem tuner is faulty.

ROYOLD

I've already connected & successfully tuned my Panasonic Freeview DVD Recorder.

Sorry about that. You did mention that in your original posting which I completely forgot about.
Tuning in the Panasonics is easy doing an auto restart and I've done all five of my freeview machines that way.

I presume that you have the aerial daisy chained e.g. Panasonic dvd recorder to Sagem PVR to TV and these come direct from the loft aerial (with a booster fitted) direct to the location of DVD,PVR,TV.

I still tend to believe your aerial signal needs to be better, i.e. 100% QUALITY for freeview reception. The aerial signal strength of 67% in itself doesn't mean much because different mfrs use different standards of measurement.

It could be, and probably is the case that the Sagem tuner is not as good as the Panny.

Put your postcode into this website to see what Wolfbane predicts as your best options for reception.

UK digital TV reception predictor

Interested to hear what Sagem say about this. I have a couple of Sagem
ITD602 STBs (made in France) somewhere around, unused. Will root them out to try them on the new channels. They haven't been used for three years or more so may not work at all now.

Just done an auto scan on the ITD602 STB & it's giving dual images on each channel. Labgear STB works fine.

We are not the only ones experiencing trouble with Sagem equipment - see this thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1092462-sagem-7280t-lost-multiplex-1-after-re-tune.html

Last edited:

creator48

Standard Member
Hi Royold - I've just successfully connected &tuned an archaic Thompson DTI500 decoder. I've lost all confidence in Sagem now & their product support team are clueless as to when a software update is going to go out. The DTG site does'nt list anything!
DTG :: DTT Receiver Downloads

ROYOLD

Yep - I think its time to dump the Sagem stuff. They do not appear all that keen to provide any support for their equipment.

If you need a new twin tuner PVR I don't think you can better the Humax PVR9200TBX-G with its 320GB HDD. Factory recon models available direct from Humax for £115 plus £7-50 carriage for next day delivery.

HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website

ROYOLD

Hi Creator - Yes you can but not as easily as you can on the Panasonics. I don't do it all that often and if I transfer Humax to DVDR I usually leave the commercials in unless I watch the programme again when I can edit by use of the pause button on the Panny. In, fact I recorded "The Departed" from Film4 last night on the EX77 and rather than use the HDD I recorded direct to DVDR using FR mode for 2H50M. Can't be bothered with editing out. Too time consuming & as I will be 75 years old next month (hurrah - free TV licence) time is of more importance.

Of course the Humax has picture in picture if you need it and it also has another feature that the Panasonics lack in that you can record sections of a previously recorded programme that you are currently playing. This section is then given the same title as the original with a number after it to distinguish it from the original title in the recorded items list. Handy if you just want to keep a small section of a previous recording, which can then be deleted. You can also join sections together in the editing bit but my brain is too addled to work it all out.

I have another 9200TBX-G 320 GB HDD arriving tomorrow by courier - ordered it Friday. This will make four Humax PVR's I own.

ROYOLD

The same thing as I use seven DVD recorders for.
I still haven't yet got around to changing the 160GB HDD to a 500GB HDD in one of the earlier models of the PVR9200T.

creator48

Standard Member
When I've filled my meagre Sagem 80 Gb HD with stuff I intend keeping (mainly documentaries & films), I burn them to DVD on my Panny then delete them to free up space. This is why I insist on removing the ads.My Sagem & Panny are on The Ex 2 input of my (non HD) Toshiba TV. I use Virgin cable for my TV,phone, & broadband services so the only time I switch to freeview is to record a programme. Do you think it would be a wiser move to ditch the freeview altogether & to get a V+ box instead?
Going back to you cornering the market in Lancs for Humax DVR's, why don't you burn your recordings to DVD - or is it too much hassle?

ROYOLD

Hi Creator,

I have AV units in every room in the house apart from the bathroom. All my PVR's and DVD recorders are well stocked with programmes that need transferring to DVD and which I am loathe to delete. Even the BBC 4 series on American Folk Music I transferred to DVD but it's still on the PVR it was originally recorded on. It's easier to find on the PVR when I want to watch it. I have thousands of recorded DVDR's (which I am sure my relatives will throw out when I pass on). These are mainly transfers from the 1400 plus VHS tapes I had with recordings from 1982.

I rely on DTT reception, large trees prevent satellite reception and I am not prepared to do anything about this as I prefer the trees.

I do have a Virgin cable connection but it is currently unused. They were charging me £25 monthly for so called 2 Mbits BB (actually it was more like 1.8 Mbits), so I now use Talktalk for 3.8 Mbits BB, free calls anytime (inc selected International calls), line rental, all in for £21-74 monthly. So - no Virgin box for me and no editing of TV programmes.

.....and the latest Humax PVR9200 has just been delivered.

creator48

Standard Member
Hi Royold
I think the excellent deal I get from Virgin has now been made dearer for new customers.
TV,Phone (free weekend calls) & 2Mb broadband for £20 monthly (no phone line needed!) plus another tenner for my mobile incl 300 minutes & 300 texts!
You mentiond earlier that you recorded "The Departed" using FR mode for 2H50M, what's this?
It seems that you, like myself, keep a huge collection of recordings - you probably get the chance to watch them all whereas I have many on DVD that I'm still trying to fit in. The trouble is I usually record more hours than I find time to watch so the status quo is disappearing in the distance. I'm glad to hear you've just received your Humax, has it got the latest firmware version pre-loaded. After the Sagem saga, can you update the software from an update on the web & input it through the USB?
Regards - Creator

ROYOLD

You mentiond earlier that you recorded "The Departed" using FR mode for 2H50M, what's this?
I'm glad to hear you've just received your Humax, has it got the latest firmware version pre-loaded. After the Sagem saga, can you update the software from an update on the web & input it through the USB?
Regards - Creator

I've connected this new Humax on the Welsh aerial so only have four Muxes at present (two of Moel main channels are on very low power and I cannot receive them until after switchover on 28th of this month. The case is a 9500 case with a USB port & card slot altho' it tells you to disregard 9500, its still a 9200. I didn't check the firmware but expect it will be the latest as its direct from Humax. Yes the software updates can be received OTA or downloaded direct from the Humax website. There is an RS-232C socket on the machine in addition to the USB port.
The remote control is slightly different to the other three. Mainly design - the buttons appear to be the same set.

"The Departed" was recorded to DVD-R disc on the Panny EX77 using
the Guide which has the time slot for this film listed as 2 hours 50 mins. So to fit this onto one disc I had to change the mode from SP to FR (flexible record mode) - hence 2H50M. You must have used FR on your Panny machine. It's a great asset allowing you to select the EXACT minutes you require. This allows best quality on the disc for the time selected.

creator48

Standard Member
Aah, now I understand Royold. Yes I have used FR in the past but usually now record in EP mode, being prepared to trade off the slight loss in quality in order to get the maximum 8hr disk space, allowing me to get a complete documentary or comedy series on the same disk.
The RS232 port on the Humax is a bonus!

tellima

Standard Member
:lease:I use a Sagem PVR6280 Freeview HD Recorder & after yesterday's (30/9) retune, I've lost all channels on Mux 2. All the other channels tuned perfectly. I've checked the aerial by re-tuning my Freeview Panasonic DVD recorder with perfect results. I also disconnected everything else except the TV from the Sagem, but the reset/retune produced the same inglorious results.I'm not aware of any maintenance issues at the Bluebell Hill transmitter & I live in a good reception area of Essex. Previously to 30/9, I had good reception on all channels. Can any soul out there shine a light on my woes, - (or even a twinkle would be appreciated!) Thanks.

I'm new and 'worn-out' registering to join a discussion about a Freeview HD recorder launched today - but you already have a Freeview HD Recorder?

If I've misunderstood can anyone on the thread tell me where there is such a discussion going on please?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I'm new and 'worn-out' registering to join a discussion about a Freeview HD recorder launched today - but you already have a Freeview HD Recorder?

If I've misunderstood can anyone on the thread tell me where there is such a discussion going on please?

I imagine the confusion is that the poster actually has a Freeview HDD (hard disc drive) recorder and not a HD (High Definition) recorder which don't yet exist.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022