Lost little boy needs help with a Triax Modulator

Fredsaid

Hello
Hope this is the appropriate place for this ?

So years ago we had a distribution amp up in loft with a downfeed to the lounge where sky was added, then returned to the amp & distributed around the house with magic eyes.
Then a new sky q contract was taken out which screwed it all up !

So i have just bought a triax Mod103T (are these good or bad ?) promising the Mrs she can have sky back in the bedroom after 6 months with out it
So i plugged the triax in the lounge next to the sky Q box as per the drawing in the manual, with the exception that my aerial goes through the amp in loft first & i only ran hdmi return to the Lounge telly ( no Rf feed to this telly)

1611183193912.png

Went into the kitchen & just did an auto retune of the stations on the hd freeview Telly but couldnt find the triax (went through every station :) )
So then did a manual tune & it would find anything on channel 36 (which was the default on the triax)
So went into triax settings & changed the channel to 68 & did a manual tune but again couldnt find anything.
Tried the same process on the bedroom Panasonic TX-40EX700B & got the same result - Manual tuning couldnt detect anything.
Did some searches on here & read somewhere that the if sky was set too 4000khigh def. the Modulator wouldnt reconise it so went into sky settings, & changed it from 1080p down to 780 just to be sure........! which made no difference.
so just to eliminate the loft distribution amp & its wiring, I got the spare / campervan tv (samsung led UE22H5000AK) & set that up in the lounge & fed it from the Rf1 outlet straight into the tv - the manual tune again didnt find anything.

I must have done something wrong / have the wrong settings somewhere (i also reset the triax to the default settings & re-tried)

If anyone can give me any suggestions where i might be going wrong, i would be so grateful (feel so useless not to be able to sort this out, im not the sharpest tool in the box so you may have to take it slowly )

Many thanks for reading, (hope it made sense !)

I had no magic eyes connected, or the IR on the triax box - hadnt got to that stage !

examiga1990

Standard Member
can you just not first plug the triax into the RF of one of you tvs (small length of RF cable) just to see if can tune into it and make sure its all OK. If OK then try again if no good must be something getting in way of signal in loft/cable. Can you 1. take small tv up to loft and connect into Amp and check again. 2. If no small tv run long RF cable to nearest TV and try tuning in. If still no signal its got to be the AMP at fault

Fredsaid

Thanks for your reply
I have already done this with the small telly

"so just t o eliminate the loft distribution amp & its wiring, I got the spare / campervan tv (samsung led UE22H5000AK) & set that up in the lounge & fed it from the Rf1 outlet straight into the tv - the manual tune again didnt find anything."

but i cant believe this brand new triax is faulty so just wondered if theres a setting on the triax i should be setting to enable it to work !.
If im honest, i have no idea what most of the settings below do or should be ? (but i haven't changed any apart from the RF setting / frequency. I have reset the modulator back to its default state a couple of times as well )

1611198462033.png

There is a graph of setttings saying the RF can be switched on or off, i never saw this option when i was scrolling through !, & i reset the machine at least twice during the trials so even if was switched off, it should of defaulted back to on ..
I will go back & check this setting though!.

1611198882158.png

The Manual is here; https://www.triax.uk/media/com_reds...300/300128-mod103t-um-en-fr-a4-201-238239.pdf

Flyer here;
https://www.triax.uk/media/com_reds...300/uk-flyer-hdmi-to-cofdm-modulat-238237.pdf

Product description here;
https://www.triax.uk/products/inhou...-distribution/mod103t-hdmi-to-cofdm-modulator

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The Triax defaults should work with any DVB-T2 HD TV set direct connected (no UHF TV aerial to confuse things with RF frequency clashes).

Are the leads you are using from the Triax to TVs / Return cable home made or bought in items?

One likely reason for no signal found is a connection/cable issue... i.e. no connection or inner shorted to outer if hand made?
It's very easy to NOT push the centre core into the F sockets (esp when new and tight) and bend it over to short to the outer. {I have the T-shirt}.

Presumably you have a picture via the hdmi lead passthrough of the Triax during the attempts with a local TV set (in the same room)?

Do you have any other hdmi source you could try to prove it's not some issue there?

Concentrate on getting a local TV working before attempting to distribute via loft amp and the return cable.

Fredsaid

Thanks for your reply
The Triax defaults should work with any DVB-T2 HD TV set direct connected (no UHF TV aerial to confuse things with RF frequency clashes).

Are the leads you are using from the Triax to TVs / Return cable home made or bought in items?

One likely reason for no signal found is a connection/cable issue... i.e. no connection or inner shorted to outer if hand made?
It's very easy to NOT push the centre core into the F sockets (esp when new and tight) and bend it over to short to the outer. {I have the T-shirt}.

Presumably you have a picture via the hdmi lead passthrough of the Triax during the attempts with a local TV set (in the same room)?

Do you have any other hdmi source you could try to prove it's not some issue there?

Concentrate on getting a local TV working before attempting to distribute via loft amp and the return cable.

I have checked & can confirm all the televisions are DVB-T2 TV's

Good shout on not connecting Aerial, i can then also try auto tune if manual fails & it should be easy to find (as it will be the only station...!)

Hadn't really thought too much about these if i'm honest........, Currently they are standard cheap leads plugged into adapters for the triax ( but the leads were ok previously with the sky+ & they form part of the loop where the aerial/Amp comes down from the loft to the lounge & is then sent back to the amp & distributed out to the other telly's which work well) i could easily try some different ones or even make some up with the correct ends!.
tv connector.png

HDMI though the modulator displayed the picture with no problems, but i am happy to try anything to rule things out & can plug in the DVD as a HDMI source.

I'Ill get onto this tomorrow now & report back.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - i am grateful

Fredsaid

Right, So i set up the Mod box in the lounge with a metre coax cable from the mod, as before but without the RF in & re-tuned my TV , straight away i found channel 36 with the sky Q picture :)
I then plugged in, the RF feed ( aerial down link from the loft distribution amp) & the picture disappeared.
I checked out the mendip transmitter & what frequencies it uses
Mendip (Somerset, England) Full Freeview transmitter , Which was the channel 36, so i thought i would go down to Channel 24, in the triax menu i found the RF settings tab & then the frequency "CH36", pressed enter where it then flashed & i changed it to Ch 24, pressed enter again to set it & it stopped flashing & showed Ch 24. I went to retune the tv to 24 & it never found the station......! but still found "ch 36"..
So it turns out you have to completely come out of the menu, when it will ask you if you wish to save the settings.......... ! ***.
Connected it all up, retuned the other TV's into Ch 24 to see Sky Q.

Thank you all so much for your help, You wont believe how Bloody Useless i felt, not being able to get that to work earlier in the week - it was so depressing !.
Why cant Triax produce more user friendly guide ?

Anyway many Thanks

One last question if i may though please
what do these blanks do, pretty sure they came with different distribution amps we've had over time ?
Are they just blanking plugs or do they a resistor or something inside ? - if they do, which sockets are they required on ? Thanks

1611362546012.png
1611362606859.png

1611362679426.png

Thanks

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The instructions books for all these digital modulators are pretty poor (I've read through most in attempts to help people). But well done for finally sorting it out! :clap:

Those items are terminators - a small 75 ohm resistor between core and outer to impedance match to other things in the aerial system (inc tuners in sets). Ideally all unused outlets should have one fitted, but in practice they rarely make a difference - except when there is a high-level outlet where they are 'mandatory'.
Splitters, amps and diplexers - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials explains it quite well. (The whole Knowledge Base of Justin's site can be worth a look if you are interested).

Similarly, they can help to ensure that no 'noise' can get in to unused inputs and be amplified along with the wanted signals from an aerial (but a shorting wire would do the same). Again, mostly not essential - but do leave the one on the CCTV input in place (as that input will be using the same frequency band as the UHF aerial/modulator).

That Labgear unit is low gain so no real need for terminators on the outputs. But they can do no harm, either!

erosdav

Novice Member
Hi can Someone help please I have a triax mod103t modulator I have rf in and rf out and when the power is off the signal goes through the cables and free view works. But when I switch the triax on and the free view stops. I have changed frequencies (ch68) but even when I retune my tv it only recognises the sky channel through the triax that part works fine but it will just not recognise my free view channels I know the cables are connected to Ariel as I said previously if the triax box is off I can tune the channels in.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Hi can Someone help please I have a triax mod103t modulator I have rf in and rf out and when the power is off the signal goes through the cables and free view works. But when I switch the triax on and the free view stops. I have changed frequencies (ch68) but even when I retune my tv it only recognises the sky channel through the triax that part works fine but it will just not recognise my free view channels I know the cables are connected to Aeriel as I said previously if the triax box is off I can tune the channels in.
With Triax off:
Use the TV metering to check the signal strength and quality for all the Freeview muxes individually.
DO NOT RETUNE TV AGAIN

Switch on the Triax and repeat the measurements.

Post the results.

Use the TV's manual tune option to add the modulator output frequency only. Take the same signal level/quality readings and post them also.

Unusual for an amplifier device to pass RF when no power supply. So I'm suspecting very strong local TV signal (direct cable pickup even when 'off') and when through the modulator it's amplified and that causes overload/loss of reception (poor/variable quality signal)? (as rare as that overload condition is).

Try using a splitter as a combiner?

Aerial -> one 'out'
Triax -> other 'out'
Combiner (splitter in reverse) 'in' -> TV distribution system.
That will drop signals by 4dB all round and may work better than going through the modulator's amplification?

erosdav

Novice Member
With Triax off:
Use the TV metering to check the signal strength and quality for all the Freeview muxes individually.
DO NOT RETUNE TV AGAIN

Post the results.

Use the TV's manual tune option to add the modulator output frequency only. Take the same signal level/quality readings and post them also.

Unusual for an amplifier device to pass RF when no power supply. So I'm suspecting very strong local TV signal (direct cable pickup even when 'off') and when through the modulator it's amplified and that causes overload/loss of reception (poor/variable quality signal)? (as rare as that overload condition is).

Aerial -> one 'out'
Triax -> other 'out'
That will drop signals by 4dB all round and may work better than going through the modulator's amplification?
Great thanks for replying I will give this a go and let u know later in the week thanks again

The Roman

Novice Member
I have two of these modulators & neither pass the freeview signals through. I've put a spectrum analyser on each output & there is nothing other than the modulated HDMI signal. Connecting the aerial directly to the SA shows exactly what I would expect. I've even tuned the HDMI way down to VHF to keep it out of the way. Maybe theres an on/off setting but I can't find it.

erosdav

Novice Member
With Triax off:
DO NOT RETUNE TV AGAIN

Post the results.

Aerial -> one 'out'
Triax -> other 'out'
Ok finally had time to have a look and I think I found the problem I had the aerial going through my loft box I have now disconnected it from that and got it going straight to the modulator and boom it’s ok. As you say I was prob getting too much signal strength they were on 100 percent. Modulator is all working fine now. But I do have one problem that is that my one tv is a 720p not 1080 Causing it to say video not supported is there any way of changing modulator so reduces down to 720 thanks again

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I think the video input to the Triax would need to be 720p or, better, 1080i (interlaced) for most HD ready TV sets to be happy. (They don't cope with 1080p like more modern full HD sets do.)

So changing the $ky box video output would be required?

The modulator itself simply can't do the necessary re-processing of the video signal.

NB ALL UK HD satellite signals are transmitted as 1080i and most quality TVs will de-interlace better than set-top box chipsets. $ky Community posts imply 1080i output is possible, and that $ky on demand is also 1080i natively.

If you have to go to 720p though, that setting will affect the main connected TV as well, of course.

erosdav

Novice Member
I think the video input to the Triax would need to be 720p or, better, 1080i (interlaced) for most HD ready TV sets to be happy. (They don't cope with 1080p like more modern full HD sets do.)

So changing the $ky box video output would be required?

The modulator itself simply can't do the necessary re-processing of the video signal.

NB ALL UK HD satellite signals are transmitted as 1080i and most quality TVs will de-interlace better than set-top box chipsets. $ky Community posts imply 1080i output is possible, and that $ky on demand is also 1080i natively.

If you have to go to 720p though, that setting will affect the main connected TV as well, of course.
Just for curiosity I took the sky q down to 720 and still says video not supported I also took it to 529 still no good so think I will have to upgrade the tv will all be fine then. Thanks all for the help it is very much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom