1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in amp land! 3802 upgrader!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by boff, Oct 25, 2004.

1. boff

boff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum here, I've done loads of searching and research but I'm still faced with a hard choice.

I currently have a Denon 3802 and Sony 900QS DVD player, the 3802 was runing 7 channels, 5 power amped with a rotel RMB1095. I am runing a Fujitsu plasma also.

I used to own B&W 600 series speakers, but have recently sold them when I traded upto B&W Nautilus (804 fronts, HTM1, SCM1, ASW850) and here lies the issue.

My Sony DVD player has to be changed, the plasma has DVI, so I'm pretty decided on a 3910 Denon. Here lies the problem.

The Nautilus need a higher quality pre amp, I find myself stuck in a quandry about a few solutions:

3805 Has amp so nothing extra needed
    RSP-1098 PLUS RMB 1080/70
    AV8 PLUS
    AV32R PLUS

i've pretty much discounted the AV32 and AV8 on cost, leaving me with the 3805 and 1098. I'm worried about the 1098's noise problem - should i be looking anywhere else?

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions/experiences here! I'm not loyal with any brand just looking for the most for the least cash. A sensible balance of spend and reward type of thing! Will i get away with the 3805? is the 3910 the right choice? should I get rid of the 1095 and get a 7 channel used TAG 250*3 + 90*4 amp block?

:lease: thx for your help

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have a very similar setup to you - 804's, HTM1 nad ASW850. I however use M&K column surrounds for the rear channels and not the SCM1's. I currently use a Parasound Halo C2 and A51 power amp with them.

As you know the Nautilus series takes a fair amount of driving and the more power you can give them the better they will sound. Your Rotel 1095 (I used to own one) will drive them just fine however and imho you should stick with it unless your budget allows you to get something more fancy.

As you mention I feel that your processor is the real weak link in your system and upgrading it to a 3805 although the cheapest option will not bring out the best in your new B&W's. The Rotel 1098 is an ok processor - I feel you can do better but it depends on your budget. Have you considered buying second hand ? You can get some very decent processors for under £2,000 or cheaper in the second hand market and lots come up for sale here in the classifieds. Look out for Meridian 568.2 (which sounds sweet with the 804's by the way - I have tried it as a fellow forum member kindly loaned me his bog std 568), Tag's, Arcam AV8 (one just sold for £1,600 from recollection) and so on. Out of the names I have listed TAG would be my last choice to use with the 804's as they both can be reasonably forward in the high frequencies. There are others to consider as well.

Also what are you using as your other two rear speakers - that will help determine what kind of two channel power amp you will need. The big two channel Rotels may be overkill and you may potentially be able to save some money to allocate to a better processor.

3. boff

boff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rags!

The rears are two pairs of SCM1's.

I have been offered a 250*3 + 100*4 TAG Amp for about £2.3k which i was tempted at, but I don't think I'll get enough back on the Rotel to justify it (you may tell me differently!!). I'm in love with the looks of the Meridian G series, but way way over budget - to go to nautilus took some going (I pushed it through with the missus on looks!) So now investing in the "hidden" stuff needs to be controlled. I'd been looking very seriously at the TAG option but second user. I think I like the 3805/AV32 because they seem to have all the formats covered. I'm worried about the 1098 because it has been on the streets for a long time and with people like Marantz coming to market with THX Proc at £1k the Rotel must be due for some fettling. Which leaves me with my unknowns - the AV8/Meridian. My concerns around the AV8 are reliability - I owned a lot of Arcam kit in the past and it was unreliable and support was poor. I'm worried that the Meridian is becoming dated in terms of supporting formats. On the TAG it would have to be the dual proc i think. I like the ideas of i-link/denon link/tagtronic bus etc. I hope that I can get away with the 3910 for now and use the proc as the DAC giving me good CD/DVD sounds.

As you can see I'm lost - but your feedback was great, any further help will be appreciated, especially with your use of the nautilus, Mine are sat in a box awaiting the new carpet to be fitted :mad: - which gives me a few weeks to get this right

Many thx

boff

4. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before you spend your money demo a couple of processors.

The 1098 is good, yes of course the other kit mentioned is good as well. Listen to a 1098 decide if it's to your taste and then compare it to something else :) if possible with the same power amp in both tests that way you are just listening to the processor and not the power amp.

Second hand higher end kit might be the better way to go i'm not sure but it's up to you and the only thing is you don't often get a chance to test it out much before hand to decide if it's to your taste.

Even if you do go secondhand ensure you get something with PL II like the Meridian via it's firmware upgrade, or something that will be ? or so i've read, if it isan't allready avaiable, like a Arcam AV8.

But don't just dismiss the Rotel because it's cheaper new then these processors.

Steff

EDIT: With the 1095 getting a 1080 to run the front two would be nice, or better still get two 1080 or one 1090 :)