lost highway

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by spicymackerel, May 16, 2002.

1. spicymackerel

spicymackerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there are any plans to issue Lost Highway (David Lynch) on dvd ?. I'm almost certain it's not out already through process of trawling every webpage I can find abt the film as well as all dvd sales pages.

Seen Mulholland dr. recently and has whetted my appetite for more of Lynch individualist style of film making. Mulholland dr. dvd makes investing in home cinema worthwhile - good fun, totally unpredictable and a plot that inspires loads of arguments on what exactly was going on ! Try spotting all the references to other movies and film styles - he even trys to out-tarantino tarantino.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    Or go for the Aussie PAL region 4 version, that works out to something like £8.

It's only 2.0 surround (but it's a good audio track), anamorphic 2.35:1, and about 45 minutes of behind the scenes stuff incl interviews with Lynch.

I got mine from www.ezydvd.com.au - from placing the order to landing on my doorstep it took about 4 days.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynch was doing "Tarantino" way before Tarantino was :mad:
    - try Blue Velvet or Wild at Heart (sadly, Wild at Heart not yet available on DVD :()

While I love Tarantino as much as the next guy, you gotta accept that Tarantino is just other people's stuff digested and shat out :p

5. spicymackerel

spicymackerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks squirrel god,

I agree with you on tarantino. Where Lynch takes the pi** is when the assasisin guy shooots the fat woman in the butt and then the janitor etc. I guess this is meant to be a pop at quentin as it is a typical pulp fictionesque episode.

all the best,

Derek

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May have been a pop at QT, but Lynch always does stuff like that. It's what makes his stuff so great - you get a real mix of black comedy, fantasy, and sheer ingenuity and originality.

You always know a Lynch film because his style is so unique.

Shame you missed out on the Twin Peaks TV series - that was very much like Mulholland Drive (Mulholland Dr was originally supposed to be a TV series but was turned down :eek:). I do wish they'd sort out what they're going to do with Twin Peaks on DVD because it was the best thing Lynch has ever done IMO. Will be an expensive purchase but worth every penny :D

Oh and don't bother buying Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me because it will be pointless without first seeing the entire TV series....

Lost Highway is perhaps his most weird film (bar Eraserhead). The debate over what is actually going on in Lost Highway still rages - but it certainly makes you feel good trying to theorise! I found that watching Mulholland Dr actually helped me understand Lost Highway better (I won't say why though!).

All the best ... and remember ...... "This is the girl" ;)

7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps,

If you're really into David Lynch's skewed but highly original brand of film making you ought to check out Ronnie Rocket. The best film he never made. If you know anything about this story you will know it could have been an utterly incredible movie. If you don't, check out The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made by David Hughes. Even by Lynch standards this would have been bizarre but I dare anyone to read the premise and deny it would not have been a hit. Maybe a bit too strange for some sensibilities but nevertheless a movie that would have commanded, no demanded, your complete attention.

8. gene brewer

gene brewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love David Lynch. Wasn't there meant to be a DVD of his short films coming out?

I heard he hated DVD - Mulholland Drive has no chapters on the DVD cos Lynch says "It is not a book". Sweet! :D

By the way spicymackerel how come it was Lex and Rambo that did all the work, but only squirrel god gets the thanks!!!! :D :D

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    Lynch's site is the only place you can get the disc of his short films, it's very expensive though - I was going to get one til I realised it'd cost me around £50 with the shipping added. It's also the only place you can get a copy of Eraserhead that actually has DL's seal of approval, again it's not cheap though.
    I hear he's supposed to be releasing his own version of Lost Highway through his site aswell, but I've not heard any more about it since. Doubt that one would be any less expensive than the other 2 discs if and when it arrives.

11. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Squirrel God have you got this
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=100885

I love tweaks and am buying this soon myself. The 30+hrs of VHS I have has a bravo TV logo all over it and I'm looking forward to a DTS soundtrack.

While were mentioning great Lynch's stuff. The straight story is one of my favorite films.

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have abstained from buying that. There seems little point because there is no sign from the studios that they are going to release the rest of the series! *sigh* :( I want a boxed set of it all and I want it now :D

I got the Straight Story from HMV in a 2 for 1 offer a while back - quite enjoyed it but thought the transfer on DVD was poor. Also picked up Blue Velvet from them for £6 (they were selling off the old versions cheap before the special edition came out, which has just been released). Not anamorphic and also a poor transfer, but the film's so dark you can hardly tell! :p Bargain at £6 anyway!

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    Apparently there's a UK disc of Lost Highway coming next month, around 17th June, I think. Blackstar have it listed as 2.35:1 with the only extra being a trailer. That's about all I know except the retail price is around £15 on the high street.

14. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The second season (i.e. all the other episodes) will be released on two boxsets at the end of the year. Having said that, it might be worth waiting for the region 2 box as rumour has it that it will include the long lost pilot episode (which was never available on video in it's TV form). Also, a forthcoming French edition of Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me should have the deleted scenes included. These are of interest because they include a lot of the characters that were in the main series.

Lynch fans should check out: http://www.dugpa.com/

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to know if it's going to be anamorphic - some of the versions aren't :(

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant - that is fantastic info ashearer! Thanks for posting!

Yes, I think I will wait for Region 2 as the pilot episode contains a lot of key info (particularly regarding Bob :devil:). I simply have to have everything.

At the moment I'm making do with a taped copy of Fire Walk With Me that was broadcast on Sky a few years ago. I love it because it has the subtitles on the dialogue towards the end - me and my mates struggled for months to figure out what EXACTLY was being said by the dwarf - lovely to have the subtitles (I'll take it as read that they'll be on the DVD as it goes without saying - but if not , I'll be very pi55ed off!).

Woohoo :D

17. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was the tv version of the pilot episode different from the R3 dvd version? i was too young to see twin peaks the first time round and having recently got the pilot episode ad ordered the rest of the first series i am eagerly awaiting the second, if only so i can watch fire walk with me and understand it!

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure..... but even if it's not, you'll want as full a version as possible. Apparently David Lynch didn't even want to tell the audience who killed Laura Palmer - so you can see how his mind works.....

You'll need to watch it several times as well as the series... and even then "full understanding" would be pushing it.... ;) Half of it is whatever you want it to be...... that's the beauty of it..... :D

19. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For a good summary of the differences between the original pilot and the edited one that was used in the series, this is a good reference: http://www.twinpeaks.org/faqtop.htm

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great - cheers :D

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lost Highway R4 is now available at cd-wow.com for £9.99 (free p&p). It's apparently anamorphic, but only DD2.0.

R2 is due out soon as well and play.com have it advertised for £9.99, but they have emailed me to say that they do not yet know whether the R2 release will be anamorphic. The audio soundtrack details are also unconfirmed.

Just ordered the R4 from cd-wow :)

22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    From my post regarding the R4 disc (3rd post on this very thread :rolleyes: )

Sorry to be dragging back old info:p

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like my memory is that good :p

24. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    pilot confusion time, as I understand it:

.......firstly the TV pilot is essential to Twin Peaks viewing, but it was never released in europe or the US on video when eveything else was.
    The resons for this is that the release rights for the original TV pilot are owned by a different company than the one that owns those for the 2x series, stupid legal problems abound!

There is a 'european pilot' which you can get on VHS in the UK, which has a closed ending. This is NOT the version you will of seen on TV all those years ago.

This is because Lynch turned it into a stand alone feature film - exactly as he has had to do with Mulholand Dr. - luckily twin peaks got picked up for a series, but Mulholand Dr. was turned down (!!!!!!!:confused: :eek: !!!!!!)
    If Twin Peaks had been turned down all we would have was this Twin Peaks feature film!!

Now in some far off country in region 3 (I've forgotten which one) someone has the release rights to the original TV pilot, and have done so on DVD. I would stronly recommend you get hold of this, as I did last year, its not a pirate but the transfer is not great either. I know they were trying to sort out the legal problems for region 1 + 2 etc etc. but as far as I know this pilot will NOT get a release anywhere else.......the first season has been released already on DVD Reg 1, with the second to follow later this year.......I stand to be corrected on this as I haven't checked up on this for a few months now, but I wouldn't hold out for a set that includes the pilot.

.....er.....sorry......this was a bit of a long winded answer to say that if you have the region 3 dvd pilot you are probably luckily enough to have the TV version that links to the series. Anything else and you will have the European feature film version that wraps everthing up in the hospital and then just confuses you when you watch the series.

......all i know is that I have every episode on VHS and both version of the pilot!:cool: ....and next month I'll be getting the first season DVD....mmmmmm.

splendid.
    pizzed-monkey

25. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    That region 3 pilot's available from www.dddhouse.com for under a tenner shipped, I think.

at least, it was when I last looked.

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You thought correctly! Just ordered it. Cheers! :D

I just hope it is the original pilot :rolleyes: Although Amazon.com appear to sell it as an import disk and the reviews on there seem to testify that it is the original pilot :)

27. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has Anybody bought the new R2 release that came out on monday. Or know what the transfers like or what format the sound is in.

I can't seem to find much detailed info.

28. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Answered my own question. Found A review of it on dvdreview.com. According to the review the Picture is crap and the sound is only stereo. [​IMG]

Anyone know if the rumours of a R1 version later in the year are true.

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the R4! It's good! :devil:

I have heard the same rumours. Not sure. David Lynch is prone to changing his mind and delaying things by years :(

30. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if theres a version out with surround sound?