1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Highway-any good?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ewan, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the movie Lost Highway? Any good :confused:

2. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Pretentious but enjoyable (if mainly for Robert Blake's Mystery Man, now with perverse echoes of real life). Some sections really draaaaggggg tho.

Don't know what the best disc is out there, they all seemed pretty manky when I looked through the comparisons.

David Lynch is essentially a self-reflexive reaction to himself nowadays: I think the last sincere film he made was Eraserhead (admittedly, this coming from someone who loves DUNE, but I'm more of a fan of Frank Herbert than Lynch).

regards,
    anephric

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear there is a new disc of this coming out later this year so i advise you wait.

4. Will K

Will K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you hear this? And what region?

5. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies :) I think I'll give it a miss.

6. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say that I found Lost Highway an enjoyable experience if not somewhat confusing.
    Generally a great fan of Lynch films. But I had problems with Mullholland Drive (although I have only seen it once) It seems to go even more deliberately confusing than Lost Highway.
    The soundtrack on CD for Lost Highway is excellent. So if you want a taste of the music first before seeing the film then I would highly recommend it.
    Lynch has great taste in music and sound. From eerie background tracks to cool 'unusual' music tracks

7. juss100

juss100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not 100% sure about David Lynch then I wouldn't recommend that you run out and buy Lost Highway....as a lot of people just don't like (or get) what David Lynch does in his films.

I'd recommend that you watch Mulholland Dr. and Twin Peaks (I've only seen season 1 as 2 is not out on DVD yet!) which are both surreal masterpieces. Lost Highway is in a similar vein but even more confusing - it doesn't really give any answers...changes story completely half way through and eventually comes full circle in a bizarre manner...but is really intriguing nevertheless.

Don't bother with Wild at Heart or Dune though!!!

Alex

8. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147

DAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Wild at Heart is ten times, nay sirrah!, a thousandfold the film that Lost Highway is! Despite its obviousness (and self-reflexivity, as I mentioned above) at least it has some passion, some character, some emotional hook with which to bind all the fragmented jewels of Lynch's piecemeal surrealism together. And it doesn't have Bill Pullman in it ("I have two expressions, one hangdog, one mystified: ooh, and I've got a patriotic one I can pull for Independence Day! Ka-ching!")

Lost Highway is just a series of odd vignettes (some effective, some laughable) masquerading as a parametric/circular narrative.

Don't start on Dune: it's deeply flawed but massively intriguing, which is more than I can say for Lost Highway (maybe the first part applies). I suppose it helps if you're a fan of the book (although, again, this is contentious and divisive as some love/some hate it).

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess. I've had endless arguments with peeps in forums about LH (and they were all wrong) :D

regards,
    anephric

9. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well i enjoy Lost Highway, a good all round film.......bit confusing....great soundtrack 'tho.

But i prefer Blue Velvet or Eraserhead (But then even 'tho it was a classic, it was his first film and a bit bizzare for some folk)

I love the stuff Lynch puts out, shame the DVD's vary on quality of picture / sound.

Just my tuppence worth...........

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If you're asking this as someone who knows (and enjoys) Lynch's work then yes I'd recommend it. I enjoyed it immensely. Mad as a bag of spiders though... the film, that is... :D

Go for the German R2 edition. I got this from amazon.de a couple of years back for about a tenner. Nice anamorphic transfer and a DD 5.1 soundtrack.

11. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Dunno - never seen the R2 print. :confused:

13. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Ah ok, i did find a review of the German release........does tend to go into depth about the movie which might spoil it for others that haven't seen it yet.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/redirect.php?id=226&page=Review

But then since i've seen it many times, i thought the look into the movie and what the reviewer made of it, made sense to me.

That was the movies letdown, some people don't understand Lynch's mind, as it's unlike your regular Hollywood type movie, and tends to confuse people.

Well that's unless your a Lynch fan, and enjoy his films and the direction he's coming from.

I've added this version of "LH" and the SE version of "Blue Velvet" to my shoppin' list !!

14. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree soundtrack is excellent.

Pauley - Mad as a bag of spiders: cool saying, may nick it.

And Pauley "Dawn Davenport is eating a meatball sandwich - right out in class!!!" - what the hell does this mean?

15. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    One for Private Eye's "Pseud's Corner" methinks... ;)

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Dawn Davenport is from the John Waters film Female Trouble or am i wrong ?

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The Fox hits it right on the nail! :thumbsup:

DD is one of the screen's great monsters! Watch and cringe! :D

19. Will K

Will K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you find his address? I'd thought about writing to him, but couldn't find any contact details. :blush:

20. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Me and my mate chipped in together and bought a list of Hollywood agents from one of the dealers that advertise in the back of Empire (nowadays, of course, you can get this off the net as well as, if you look slightly more penetratively, actor's ACTUAL addresses (my mate was well chuffed that he found Henry Kissinger's and Richard Nixon's some years ago -- he wrote to them as well, with a contribution to the Richard M. Nixon Library. My mate's weird)).

So, it's advisable to write to agents (rather than Mr Lynch's actual condo, or whatever) because they will present a selection of mail to their client. I can't remember who represents David Lynch, nor do I even know if he's even at the same agency.

Patrick Swayze, apparently, is a very nice man who personally replies to fan letters. Governor Schwarzeneggar, infamously, never replies personally and even reputedly got the office junior to sign stacks of b+w pics to send out to fan requests. Apparently :lesson:

I still have my framed pic of Lynch, as well as a signed Fly promo pic of David Cronenberg. I've never written to anyone else: it's a bit creepy, innit.

regards,
    anephric