Question Lost Game Cartridge

toffeeboy

My son had lost the game cartridge for Mario Olympics 2020, it’s still on the home screen, is there anything we can do to get a replacement or are we snookered

TIA

toffeeboy

So you have to buy again even though you have the box, key, licence code etc

Thought there may be a much cheaper way to replace it

Miss Mandy

You don't have the licence code though, that's on the cartridge that you've lost.

If there was a way of playing cartridge games without the cartridge the gaming industry would probably collapse. There would be nothing stopping anyone buying the game, installing it on their console, passing it to all their mates to install on their's, then returning it to the shop for a refund.

toffeeboy

You don't have the licence code though, that's on the cartridge that you've lost.

If there was a way of playing cartridge games without the cartridge the gaming industry would probably collapse. There would be nothing stopping anyone buying the game, installing it on their console, passing it to all their mates to install on their's, then returning it to the shop for a refund.
Don't I? Isn't it stored on the console somewhere?

That could be the case but it isn't, hence my question, plus I wouldn't still have the case would I because the shop wouldn't accept it back without the case for refund (just being as pedantic as the reply). I have just asked a basic novice question, not really interested in the profits or not of the gaming industry nor the dark world of game piracy amongst friends, just for a 6 year old that's lost the cartridge and wants to play his game which we bought and sadly he lost.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member

That could be the case but it isn't, hence my question, plus I wouldn't still have the case would I because the shop wouldn't accept it back without the case for refund (just being as pedantic as the reply). I have just asked a basic novice question, not really interested in the profits or not of the gaming industry nor the dark world of game piracy amongst friends, just for a 6 year old that's lost the cartridge and wants to play his game which we bought and sadly he lost.
All it means is you put that particular game in the machine, there’s nothing at all that links that specific cartridge to you as an owner.
The only time a game is specifically linked to you and your machine is when you buy digitally.
If the cartridge is lost then all you can do is buy it again.
One option I suppose is to claim on house insurance but in all honesty would be cheaper just to buy the game again.
Another option is to pour your heart out to the game publisher in the hope they take pity on the situation and send you another.

Atomic77

Nope there is nothing else you can do other than what was said all ready. Depending on where your son was when the game was lost you could probably search around the house and see if he dropped it somewhere. Good luck and hope you figure something out.

cmdrmarc

I wasn't being pedantic - you could have just sold the game cartridge to someone without the box. If everyone could just have any Switch game by putting the cartridge in once, it would be a pretty big flaw in their sales plan!

Miss Mandy

I wasn't being pedantic - you could have just sold the game cartridge to someone without the box. If everyone could just have any Switch game by putting the cartridge in once, it would be a pretty big flaw in their sales plan!
I think he feels I was being pedantic not you. I explained basically the same thing in more detail to give him an insight into why the system works the way it does.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I have to say that the question was very naive/optimistic/obviously not gonna happen (take your pick) to everyone bar OP 🤷‍♂️

Atomic77

I think 🤔 it’s kinda the same reason why when you pick up a game box at GameStop and the game isn’t in it and the games are kept behind the counter when you buy the game.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom