Lost freeview tv signal

mentm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi we have lost freeview tv on all three TVs, predominantly watch satellite so not exactly sure when this happened. We have a mast aerial on the roof, a splitter booster in the loft, the power supply for this is behind the main tv. We also have a filter between the the aerial and booster which is meant to stop interference from 4g signal. Based in swindon and pointing at mendip mast / repeater. Now any of this could fail I guess or a break in the cabling itself. I have checked the obvious that everything is still connected and it all appears to be ok. Also the lights are on the booster so it is getting power. Now I am wondering if I could purchase a signal meter to help me narrow this down further is that the right thing to be doing?

Last edited:
Could the 4G filter be stopping the dc power going to the booster? Try taking it out and see what happens. Sorry if this is a bit obvious.

Yes I have already removed this completely, but it was working before as the filter was connected directly to the aerial.

Rule out the amplifier by connecting the aerial directly to one of the TV's.

My guess is an amplifier or psu fault or the connections to it - so by-pass it as Graham suggests as a first step.

Also go over the connections - especially to/from the psu block it's feed to/from the distribution amp (booster) in the loft. Ideally the centre pin needs soldering or a screw terminal (Belling-Lee TV plugs) to guarantee DC power continuity. F-plugs don't normally suffer with that problem, though, if yours is of that style.

LEDs on these devices can be still lit when things are unwell (as I found out myself once when I lost the TV in my caravan; it was slightly dimmer than normal, but the unit had failed).

Yes that worked so new amplifier? Actually got quite a good signal:facepalm:

Yes that worked so new amplifier? Actually got quite a good signal:facepalm:

You may be able to do away with the amplifier and power supply altogether by using a decent 3 way passive splitter.

3-way and 4-way passive splits lose the same approx 8dB of the signal... which is getting on for only 1/8th of the input signal to each outlet.

Check if the connections to psu and amp are OK. Take psu out of circuit and - if any TVs have 'antenna power' option in the installation menus try switching that on... if the amp springs to life then the psu needs replacing only.

3-way and 4-way passive splits lose the same approx 8dB of the signal... which is getting on for only 1/8th of the input signal to each outlet.

Check if the connections to psu and amp are OK. Take psu out of circuit and - if any TVs have 'antenna power' option in the installation menus try switching that on... if the amp springs to life then the psu needs replacing only.

8dB is less than the increase in power at DSO, if it worked before DSO on a straight feed to 1 TV a 4 way split should be fine. Much better to get rid if possible. You can always add an amp before the splitter if needed.

Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers

I have checked the connections again in more detail seem to be ok, I will order a new psu anyway just incase, signal has always been poor in swindon, I only checked bbc so not sure if other channels were missing. Thanks both for your help.

I have checked the connections again in more detail seem to be ok, I will order a new psu anyway just incase, signal has always been poor in swindon, I only checked bbc so not sure if other channels were missing. Thanks both for your help.

You could try the PSU at a different TV, the coax you were using may have a poor connection. For reliability Belling Lee connectors should have the centre pin soldered. If they aren't they can corrode and finish up with a high resistance that will drop the DC voltage at the amplifier.

Swapped out the 4way booster and everything is working again, many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom