Lost freeview signal

Ayitbostin

Novice Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I'm not technical with this kind of thing but would appreciate any help.
I have just switched from sky to freesat - Humax box in the living room. Previous set up was - SKY HD in living room. Magic eye in kitchen / bedroom tvs - could watch same channels as living room in both rooms and control box also. Also had choice of watching dtv in all 3 rooms if selected. (there is a box in the loft also)
I have now removed the sky box and replaced it with the humax box however I lost freeview in all rooms as the sky box was obviously being used as RF out. I have managed to work out which cable is bringing in the freeview signal and when I plug it into the downstairs tv I get the choice of freesat or DTV. But, I can't figure out a way of getting this signal back round the house. If I unplug this cable from the tv and plug it into the wall (where I think it gets distributed) - it still doesn't work.
Hope this makes sense. Any help appreciated.

WRT signal distribution. The Sky box has a modulator that 'impress' the Sky content onto the 'normal' TV signal. The Humax box does not have one so you will need to have a different solution. It is fairly easy to do.
A quick fix is to do what you have tried. The aerial input to the TV should be plugged into a socket normally called 'Return' . The problem also may be that there is a distribution amplifier somewhere in the house which is no longer getting its power which it was previously getting from the Sky box.

Last edited:
WRT signal distribution. The Sky box has a modulator that 'impress' the Sky content onto the 'normal' TV signal. The Humax box does not have one so you will need to have a different solution. It is fairly easy to do.
A quick fix is to do what you have tried. The aerial input to the TV should be plugged into a socket normally called 'Return' . The problem also may be that there is a distribution amplifier somewhere in the house which is no longer getting its power which it was previously getting from the Sky box.
Thanks for replying. I guessed it might be something to do with the capabilities of the sky box. I also didn't take the cables out myself so didn't see the configuration. Have attached pics of my options for cables if it adds anything. The sat signal is coming from the black cables coming through the wall in picture 2 (blurry sorry). The humax box works fine so I'm assuming this is entirely separate from this issue now.
20191006_154318.jpg20191006_154324.jpg20191006_154445 (1).jpgThe tv signal is coming from the cable marked tv (the longer plate - next to old sat cables) - if i plug the other end of this into the tv - I can get dtv too. Am I right to assume the separate option for tv on the wall is where the signal is being distributed round the house via the loft? I have tried plugging a cable from aerial to that socket directly but no use. There seems to be no option for return or RF out anywhere so am I stuffed? Thanks for your time.

The sat connectors on the long plate are irrelevant as you say and the TV works from the TV socket on that plate so that is the connection that goes to the aerial.
As your system has at least two other outputs in the kitchen and bedroom, it is reasonable to suspect that the 'return' to the loft is the single plate.

At the other end of this cable is probably an amplifier that was powered from the Sky box.
You need to establish if this is the case and get the 'remote' TVs working by giving the amp some power before trying to get the output of the Freeview recorder distributed.
Possibly something like THIS But find out if there is an amplifier up in the loft first.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The sat connectors on the long plate are irrelevant as you say and the TV works from the TV socket on that plate so that is the connection that goes to the aerial.
As your system has at least two other outputs in the kitchen and bedroom, it is reasonable to suspect that the 'return' to the loft is the single plate.

At the other end of this cable is probably an amplifier that was powered from the Sky box.
You need to establish if this is the case and get the 'remote' TVs working by giving the amp some power before trying to get the output of the Freeview recorder distributed.
Possibly something like THIS But find out if there is an amplifier up in the loft first.

Hi, Thanks for replying again. I have enclosed a photo of the box in the loft. I'm guessing it's just distributing the signal? As all the tvs were fine before I removed the sky box i am also guessing you are right that there isn't enough power. If i buy one of the adapters you suggest, can I then split the signal to the tv downstairs and also the plate on the wall which should then feed the other tvs in the house?20191006_183802.jpg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It's not that there isn't enough power, it's because there is no power.
Can't make out the model number, but it will require power which presumably was coming from the Sky box.
The PSU that I linked to was an example and not necessarily a recommendation.
If the distribution amp (DA) has a separate 12V input socket, what I would do is put a PSU (not the linked to one) in the loft and plug it direct into the DA.

TV Link, Global F180 box, almost certainly (need the other side photo to confirm 100%). That is NOT capable of being powered from a $ky box RF2 out (insufficient voltage/current).
It needs a mains psu and, possibly, a 'power inserter' to feed it via the return RF cable.

Global F180 | The Satellite Shop (Downloads tab for the spec sheet pdf).

OP needs to get whoever disconnected the $ky box to find the bits taken from the system for the power supply for it?

Will also need to consider a suitable UHF TV modulator if the freesat Humax output is wanted in the other rooms.

Plus a splitter to feed both the lounge TV and the 'return' feed up to the TVlink box will be essential to permit terrestrial to be viewed in all locations.

TV Link, Global F180 box, almost certainly (need the other side photo to confirm 100%). That is NOT capable of being powered from a $ky box RF2 out (insufficient voltage/current).
Wasn't certain about the I O/P from the Shy box.
OP needs to get whoever disconnected the $ky box to find the bits taken from the system for the power supply for it?
Best plan all round

Thank you for your replies both. It's starting to make sense. I can't check the loft again until tomorrow night but there is definitely a plug in the loft (though not attached to the distributor directly as there is no power input). I will try and see what it's powering but there's that much junk up thee it could be a challenge.

There were no additional bits to the sky box - literally just the box and the associated cabling so I'm guessing that you are right, that the additional power is coming from whatever is plugged in in the loft. I do want to run a splitter downstairs so that the downstairs tv has the choice of the freesat or built in freeview and the other tvs in the house are getting their freeview signal from the distributor in the loft. I'll confirm what exactly is in the loft and the exact make of the distributor when I can get up there tomorrow. Either that or i am just messing up the cabling from downstairs.....

I appreciate the responses however. Sorry I can't be more technical in mine.....

Update - it's taken me this long to get to where I am now. If you can solve the last piece of the puzzle I will be both grateful and impressed! I will explain the current situation as best as I can - non technical I'm afraid!

So - it transpires that: In the loft there are two plug sockets. One cable simply sends power to the tv in Bedroom 1. If you switch it off, the tv switches off. The other plug socket has always been empty. TJT1 - you were bang on about the unit being an F180 TV link. Whilst in the loft, I realised that there was no light on the unit and there was no power plugged in. It must therefore have been receiving power from when the sky box was plugged in as there have been no other changes to set up. I found the power cable and plugged the unit on. As a result - Digital tv is now available in Bedroom 2 and the Kitchen. (note - both of these rooms have a plate on the wall from when the house was built - Bedroom 1 does not but has cabling from when I had sky/magic eye distributed and also always had digital tv too until I changed the sky box). In terms of the downstairs living room tv, I can get a digital signal direct from the downstairs cable so this is not an issue.

What I can't understand is why turning the unit on has only sent the signal to Bedroom 2 and the kitchen but not Bedroom 1 which is also attached. If the cabling to bedroom 2 and the kitchen was different from the house build - surely they would have worked without the unit?

My only assumption is that Bedroom 1 needs the signal sending from downstairs? If this is the case, is there something I can buy that I can plug in downstairs that will split the signal for the downstairs living room tv and upstairs in Bedroom 1 - and has the power to do this. I started looking at amplifiers but got lost in more technical stuff like mastheads etc. I'm not sure what I need. Any help appreciated.

Afraid I can't take credit for the F180. That was Rodders.
It seems that it is likely that B1 was the one that was being fed from the sky box via what they call a return cable from the sky box to that bedroom. Is there a socket on the lounge faceplate marked 'Return'? (let's take this one step at a time)

Last edited:
Afraid I can't take credit for the F180. That was Rodders.
It seems that it is likely that B1 was the one that was being fed from the sky box via what they call a return cable from the sky box to that bedroom. Is there a socket on the lounge faceplate marked 'Return'? (let's take this one step at a time)

Sorry - Rodders53 - i put the wrong name....!

In the photos that I sent originally ,you can see the plates on the wall. Two are marked TV - but not return. If I run a cable from the socket on the left to the tv, I get a digital signal on the downstairs tv so this is where the aerial signal is being brought in. The second plate, I believe, is where the signal was being sent up to the loft - but this cable was originally coming from the sky box.
Thanks.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the photos.
To test before you buy, put a short patch lead from the socket that you know has a signal on it (the one on the left) to the one that you think runs upstairs and then see if you get a picture up there.

Thanks. I have tried that to no avail. In fact, I think that's the set up I have in the photo. Plugged into the downstairs tv is fine but it's not sending any signal upstairs when plugged in the wall. That's what got me wondering about power sources.

But at that time the amp wasn't powered.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom