1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost end search

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thebrummy_one, Apr 9, 2004.

1. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've come across a problem. My Sony PC330 used to have an end search facility. (finds the last bit of filming) Now the icon is 'greyed out'. I've RTFM and it says that end search is only available until you eject a tape if you are using tapes without a memory (It still works if you are using tapes with memory). I guess that's what I'm doing. Does it state on the tape if it has a memory. I'm using JVC60/90ME tapes. (I thought the 'ME' bit stood for memory!!):rtfm: :please: Help/guidance would be appreciated!!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you have a look at www.pricebuster.org.uk they have the following DV tapes (under 'Digital Video')

It normally states when the DV tape has the memory chip, or the other give-away is the jump in price :D

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    :oops:
    Nearly forgot to mention, you say you have JVC tapes. Well you are best to stick with just JVC as mixing the make of DV tapes can cause the heads on the cam to get clogged, resulting in loss of sound & picture quality and you could end up needing an expensive repair.
    Saying that, I'm not sure if JVC do 'chipped' DV tapes.
    If you have only got/used a couple of JVC's you should be ok to swap to another make.

Mark.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ME bit actually refers to the type of tape - I was trying to find the exact definition - seem to have mislaid it temporarily but off the top of my head it stands for something like 'Metal Evaporated'

5. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Mark. That price jump thing gets me every time:suicide: As for tapes, I'm not that bothered about having a chip just to find the end of a recording. Unless it does other things I'll stick with JVC. Or is this not a wise option due to inferior quality?
    BJC. Thanks for the info. :smashin:

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC are a good well known brand and if you are happy with the quality I would say stick with them.

My camcorder never had the 'end search' facility so I developed the following procedure which suits me fine,

When you have finished filming for the day record a further 10 seconds of video with the lens cap ON or prefereably with the fade button held to give a completely blank tape. - now if you want to you can take the tape out or rewind it as you wish. When I want to film further I forward the tape to the end of the visible picture and then go 2-3 seconds into the black before starting to film again. This procedure ensures you do not tape over the end of a previous clip but also keeps your timecode intact which can be very useful when you come to PC editing.

BJC