Lost Channel4HD on W7 MCE DVB-S2

AMc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turned on the TV and MCE had a message telling me that True Blood on C4HD (from DVB-S2) had failed with no signal last night.
Sure enough nothing there
My Panasonic Freesat TV has C4HD signal so something is odd.

We've just had our analogue TV turned off so this morning I intended to retune my DVB-T tuners so did a fresh set up of DVB-S2 and DVB-T to try and clean up some mess.

Irritatingly the Hauppauge guide to adding back the DVB-S2 HD channels has gone missing but I used their MCEDVBSPatchTool.exe then found and added BBCOneHD and ITV HD but manually adding C4HD isn't working.

FIXED LINK showthread.php?22320-How-to-enable-DVB-S2-in-Windows-7-Media-Center-on-HVR-4000-and-NOVA-HD-S2

I had used
Channel 4 HD:
Carrier Frequency 12607MHz
Symbol Rate = 27500 kSymbols/s
Polarity = Vertical

King of Sat is showing different details updated yesterday to the ones I've used before
Channel 4 HD
28.2°E Astra 1N
11127.00 V 44 UK DVB-S2 8PSK 22000 2/3 42.6 Mbps NID:2 TID:2068
Astra 1N / Astra 2A / Astra 2B / Astra 2D / Eurobird 1 (28.2°E) - HDTV - frequencies - KingOfSat
But when I add those details on a single transponder scan MCE finds no channels at all.

Can anyone else see Channel4HD on DVB-S2 on Windows 7 MCE?

Last edited:
Hi,

are you using any other software to get the channels in, such as dvblogic? Or are you running just with freesat in MC?

Tony

Just noticed that the MCE Satellite scan is saying "Select the type of transponder scan to use for ASTRA 2A-B-D (28.2E), EUROBIRD (28.5E)
King of sat seems to be showing Channel 4HD has moved to 28.2°E Astra 1N
KingOfSat - Change Log
Eurobird 1 (28.2°E), 2011-11-22
Freesat & Sky Digital: Channel 4 HD has left 12606.65MHz, pol.V (DVB-S2 SID:55300 PID:2305[MPEG-4] /2307 English,2306 English)

KingOfSat is only showing ITV1 Central South and ITV Central East and Channel 4HD on that satellite.

Is it new, is that why scanning isn't picking it up?

Same here - same DVB-S2 card and C4HD has gone AWOL in Win7MC - manual scan of 11127/22000/V shows nothing there.

Looking at the latest satellite listing for WinTV for the MCEDVBSPatchTool (at http://www.wintvcd.co.uk/sat/wintv7/satellites.xml), it has no listing for Astra1N, so it may be case of us having to wait for the new satellite's details to be updated before Win7MC can see C4HD again.

If only I could have afforded a new dvbt2 tuner them digital switchover would have made this irrelevant for me :(
I suppose we'll just have to wait for the fix.

Why is dvb-s so poorly supported?

If you are interested, I've edited the satellites.xml file to include transponder details for Channel4HD.
First save the attachment and rename it to satellites.xml (it is a .xml file, but I had to upload it as an MP3 file as .xml is invalid for use as an attachment on here and text files are limited to 100kb)

Run the MCEDVBSPatchTool and insert the path to this satellites.xml file, and then hit "Load Satellite Data", select "28.2E Freesat Only", and then hit "Import"

Then reboot as directed and after reboot, from within Win7MC, run a manual transponder scan with details 11127, 22000, Vertical, and it should scan that transponder and fine one new channel, "Channel4 HD".
I just tried it and I now have Channel4HD back!

For completeness, the line I added is

<transponder frequency="11127000" symbol_rate="22000000" polarization="V" fec_inner="2/3" broadcast_type="DVB-S2" modulation="8PSK" pilot="-1" rolloff="35"></transponder>

It's the last entry in the "28.2E Freesat Only" section!

Attachments

• satellites.mp3
    545.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
THANK YOU THANK YOU for this fix !!!
I'm in Portugal and just lost C4HD and your xml was a godsend !
I had to chose "Freesat only" from this list of availiable sats as opposed to Astra/Eurobird.
Once again thank you, it's people like you who keep the world turning.
:D

We lost it on our Sky box too, it has been reset at some point today (was on the Sky "Info" channel on getting home from work).
Can't get Channel 4 in either standard or HD and ITV's gone too.

THANK YOU THANK YOU for this fix !!!

I had to chose "Freesat only" from this list of availiable sats as opposed to Astra/Eurobird.

If you want to add this transponder to the Astra/Eurobird section (as opposed to/as well as the Freesat Only section), then open the satellites.xml file in Notepad and just copy and paste the line

<transponder frequency="11127000" symbol_rate="22000000" polarization="V" fec_inner="2/3" broadcast_type="DVB-S2" modulation="8PSK" pilot="-1" rolloff="35"></transponder>

to the end of the transponder list for the Astra/Eurobird section of the satellites.xml file

That section looks like

<sat name="28.2E ASTRA 2, EUROBIRD 1" flags="5" position="0">
(transponder list)..
</sat>

EDIT

Or just use this file instead (rename to satellites.xml, as before)

Attachments

• satellites.mp3
    545.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
If you are interested, I've edited the satellites.xml file to include transponder details for Channel4HD.
First save the attachment and rename it to satellites.xml (it is a .xml file, but I had to upload it as an MP3 file as .xml is invalid for use as an attachment on here and text files are limited to 100kb)

Run the MCEDVBSPatchTool and insert the path to this satellites.xml file, and then hit "Load Satellite Data", select "28.2E Freesat Only", and then hit "Import"

Then reboot as directed and after reboot, from within Win7MC, run a manual transponder scan with details 11127, 22000, Vertical, and it should scan that transponder and fine one new channel, "Channel4 HD".
I just tried it and I now have Channel4HD back!

For completeness, the line I added is

It's the last entry in the "28.2E Freesat Only" section!

Thanks for this post- great stuff didn't even need a reboot jsut a MC restart:thumbsup:

@MikeK - Thanks for the fix. Easy to follow instructions and Channel 4HD back up and running.

One problem I found afterwards is that the channel suffered horrible macro blocking, just like BBC HD a couple of years ago until ATI fixed their drivers. Yep ATI looks like they messed up with the 11.11 drivers as when I rolled back to 11.4, no macro blocking.

Getting an unhandled exception when running the patch tool on both my machines. Anyone have a current version link please? Am I missing some library or other on both boxes? Thanks.

steford said:
Getting an unhandled exception when running the patch tool on both my machines. Anyone have a current version link please? Am I missing some library or other on both boxes? Thanks.

Is this when you click browse to select the XML file? Just enter the full path to the file.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom