1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'LOST' (C4)...Good TV, or is it because there's nothing else on these days?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Kevo, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first few episodes but is it that good?

Irwen Allen (Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel etc), amongst other was churning out similar stuff (without the CGI) way back in the 60s.

Does it stand out from the rest because really there is nothing much else on TV these days and it's a breath of freash air like Doctor Who was on Saturday evenings a few months ago?

Are we at last getting back to 'normal TV'?

Here's hoping!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes having seen the whole season and being a fan of US telly I would say it was that good. A huge leap beyond anything a UK producer would even attempt outside of the soap opera genre and even then the detail would have to be sacrificed to maintain the action and story of a soap.

I wouldn't even consider the amount of character writing and develpment that has gone into LOST is even remotely comparable to the pulp scifi episodic programming that graced our screens back in the day. They really are as different as chalk and cheese:)
    I have to be honest and say how surprised I am that it did so well in the US (let myself fall into the trap that all US audiences wanted was reality TV and flashy all style no substance programming) and I have gone on record saying that the show won't sustain it's audience in the UK either.
    Again perhaps I am doing the Brits a great disservice but when you look at what grabs the ratings on CH4 and others it's hard to imagine so many people watching something so drawn out and at times so pedestrian thanks to taking an episode just to reveal one small glimpse of a characters quirks or motivations.

No doubt the huge advertising campaign has helped the show which once again points out how badly CH4 does treat other US imports even those that are top rated shows in their timeslots and demographics back in the US.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    You have to remember it was a different ball game in the 60 when Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel etc were being shown and for the time they where big budget productions and worked with scripts that would suit it and the formats of the time.

The budgets of today are far higher and technology has come a long way. The old Flash Gordon was backwards compared to the Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel etc but for its time, advanced for a weekly serial.

What Kevo is on about is, is it a leap forward for its time, or what we should be expecting.

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    what Starburst said is right though. You have to have seen more of the series to make an informed judgement, and like him I have seen the whole series. The character development is outstanding with segments devoted to each character's backstory and without giving too much away, the way their stories develop and intertwine is ingenious.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I wouldn't consider LOST to be a big budget production even by TV's standards to be honest. There are far better examples of genre programming (scifi especially) that could be compared to Irwin Allens stuff in regards to the episodic nature and lack of character developement thanks to the time constraints and the need for action and adventure.

If we are indeed just talking about having higher expectations thanks to a bigger budget and production levels in the same manner as the jump from Flash to Time Tunnel then I follow where Kevo is going. After all that though there are few shows (US or UK) that have ever devoted the time LOST does to exploring a single character flaw or feature in what is perhaps still a "genre" program and a network one at that.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Having just watched the first two-episodes this morning, I really enjoyed the show, bar all of C4's excessive advertbreaks. (I also believe that the completely uncut version of Episode 1 was aired, which was nice to see!)

I think that the show is definitely going to improve, and with so many dire British TV shows that get made, we are quick to judge other countries output, because we've been let down so often before. Also, the US are willing to invest in new drama for adults, unlike UK TV channels. Look at the fuss the return of "Dr Who" made.

The BBC said it wasn't popular enough, to be brought back. They said sci-fi shows don't get ratings. They said that viewers don't watch sci-fi shows. The Beeb also claimed that "Dr Who" was just too old fashioned nowadays. Well, the BBC got egg on their face for that, didn't they?! :D They got great viewing figures, the show was popular across the board with the public and media, and the new "Dr Who" showed that sci-fi shows were still popular, and that the character is still much-loved by much of the British population. :clap:

Starburst - You'll probably be very surprised to know, that "Lost" had a multi-million dollar budget for its Pilot Episode alone. Each episode, costs close to about $2.5 million dollars to make! The BBC made the entire recent 13-epsiode series of "Dr Who" on a budget of £2 million! Even "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was given a $1 million dollar budget per episode, back in the late 1980's!

I think that discerning British TV viewers want good quality drama, irrespective of the budget spent on it. We don't care if it's British or US, but it has to be good. We are fed-up of having so much dross thrown at us on a daily basis, (DIY shows, house makeover shows, gardeing, reality TV, celebrity this, that and the other), that anything remotely looking "intelligent" is going to be studied very hard. We Brits are hardly quiet when it comes to speaking our minds. If we hate something, we say so, regardless of what hype a series has been given. But, if we love it, then the show will be praised to the roof, so to speak! :)

Lastly, I think people need to give "Lost" at least a few episodes, before they decide if they like it or not. It's not justifed to watch 2 episodes out of 26, and then say it's crap! If that were the case, "Big Brother" would (hopefully) have been put out of its own misery, many years back.

Just my opinion, mind...

Pooch

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

No I wouldn't be, I've got a much better idea how much is spent on US productions than I have on UK productions, they seem far more open to making budgets public over the pond than our broadcasters do.

Compared to other US networks shows LOST hasn't got a huge budget and even compared to cable/sat only channels a $2mill per episode budget is not unknown and there is no getting away from the fact that the cost of Band of Brothers and Rome makes all others pale into insignificance:)

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I have seen the first 8 episodes of Lost now, and I am enjoying it but.... it is a tad 'cheesy' and the dialogue is just too twee and staged... however, it is definitely worth watching, but not as good as 'Six Feet Under' which is my personal favourite...

lisa

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    I recorded the 1st 2 episodes on E4 tonight and have watched the 1st one and was quite impressed with it - I'm not usually a fan of programs where I have to watch loads of them before finding out what happens, that's why I'm not keen on 24.
    How many episodes have been shown on C4 now ? Am I a long way behind ?

10. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Only the first two episodes shown on C4 so far, ep 3 on Wednesday.

11. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnG.

Think I am right in saying only episodes 1 & 2 have been shown on C4. As you know E4 has repeated them this evening and are showing episode 3 now (well I hope so as I am recording it).

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Thanks chaps, I must remeber to set Sky+ for Wednesday then :thumbsup:

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I saw the first two episodes yesterday as well. I quite enjoyed it (don’t think it’s worth all the hype…yet) although I imagine it will take a few more episodes to get really in it. However, I’m very intrigued to know what will happen next. I’ve got the feeling though that not everything will be wrapped up in its finale.

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ive seen upto episode 4 so far, its getting really good, episode 3 was a little slow though.

personally I think they are in the "Bermuda Triangle" myself, whats everyone elses theory?

15. Jaymzee

Jaymzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yahhar! davy jones locker!

I'm up to episode 12 now, and im enjoying it. While i agree with some of the comments that it's been hyped alot, i still find myself hooked and wanting to know "what happened next".

My Favourite Character Is Mr Lock, just find him en interesting character, especialy after the episode where you get his back story and reason for being on the flight, but i think theres more of his back story to come for some reason.

Indeed there is something odd going on, on the island, but as to what?? who knows, i had a theory on the whole..

"spoiler"

It's been sixteen hours since we lost contact, an the 16 years the french message had been playing, but thats out the window now i think, lol

End spoiler

16. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm enjoying it. Nice finding out bits about each character. I've just seen episode 5 and that's got a few good bits in it.

17. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have been fortunate enough to have family record and send the series over from America a while back. I didnt hear anything about it until my cousin told me how good it was. I watched pretty much all of it in about 2 weeks as i got hooked and just watched episode after episode as you do. Exellent viewing IMO. Just stick with it as in all honesty i thought the first episodes wasnt up to much but as normal things explain themselves the more you watch. And again i think this is a pretty original idea and makes a refreshing change from some of the other stuff?

Crossy

18. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of you are up to episode 4 or 5. Are episodes being shown that far in advance of C4 on E4?

19. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Frank,

In a word, no. E4 are only airing one episode ahead of C4's transmissions. People are obtaining future episodes, from alternative sources, in other methods - some legal, some not so legal. Enough said!

Pooch

20. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    yeah, just up to episode 3 that was shown on E4 after the 1st two, i'm hooked on it already and am really looking forward to see how the character development and interaction goes. Can't wait for Ep4 tomorrow night! :)

Rob

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Is there nothin else on these days?

Kevo there is loads on these days, in fact there is far more on now than ever IMO.

The Sheild
    Alias
    The Wire
    CSI (all versions)
    Batttlerstar
    Deadwood
    Six Feet Under
    Nip Tuck
    The West Wing
    Boston Legal (is by all accounts genius - unseen)

and i'm sure theres stuff i've not seen.

Gary

22. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Is Battlestar (Galactica) on? Have I missed the start?

23. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

The second season of B.S.G will hopefully be airing on sky 1 in the autum, along with the 9th season of SG1 and the second season of atlantis. Nothing has been confirmed but looking at the way the show has been lined up in the states ,and knowing that we normally get the first part of the season after the US and the second part before, (the US have a break for a ccouple of months midseason), I would guess that it will be airing about 10/11 weeks before christmas. This would make it about mid october.
    As soon as I know any more deatils I will post on the forum.

In the mean time for battlestar up dates may I direct your attention to...

The best battlestar thread ever.

And...........even more battlestar info here.

There is also a great deal of new Tv that is well worth watching.

I would agree with all of that Gary my friend :smashin:

24. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Play have got the entire 1st Series listed HERE :thumbsup:

Superior picture, Dolby Digital 5.1 and best of all no ad breaks :)

It's available in 3 weeks from today :clap:

25. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Good TV?

Based on the first two episodes, IMO I'd say "no, not yet".

So far, I've found it hard to feel anything towards any of the characters, other than the Doc...and if majoring on a different character each week is going to be how the series plays out, I doubt this is going to improve. Will I have the patience to stick it out???

Most of the principle actors look far too glamorous. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against attractive actors, but they all seem to have scrubbed up rather well after a plane crash. Lucky the girls found the bag containing all of the haircare products and makeup!!

Is every character going to have "a past"?

Hobbit-boy is rubbish! Cliche overload!!

The spoilt young girl that sat sunbathing amid a plane wreck (and presumably a pile of bodies) was just ridiculous. When the group's cannibal instincts take over (now that would be good!), she'd be first for the BBQ.

What are the chances of the pregnant lady going into labour at some critical moment later in the series...probably forcing the Doc into making somekind of decision as to saving the baby or some other character in peril.

Am I intrigued by the sounds in the woods? Er, no. Am I curious as to how a polar bear came to be wandering about? No, again.

26. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Carry on watching, episode 4 & 5 reveal quite a bit about other characters and the Island they are on, 5 is very creepy

27. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The problem here is that they are all american, which bores me to tears with all the good looking people, constant over dramatic music, they all seem to be from the same template something light hearted would be nice for once.

I know what I said could be applied to Lost but I find it much more subtle than most tv plus I like the Bermuda Triangle setting

28. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if you want something light hearted try "Monk" very funny (its reminds me of Jonathan Creek)

and not all of those shows are full of good looking people (certainly the wire and the shield aren't.

Gary

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Does anyone know when Session 2 of Lost is on in the US? :confused:

30. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    CrispyXUK

On your advice I'll give it until episode 5...but if it's no good, I'll hunt you down like a dirty dog!

As to the following...

The Shield is top quality...the fact that you spend most of the time rooting for a corrupt cop (who doesn't steal from the bad guys, but also murders undercover cops), is genius!

24 is generally very good, although season 4 started to show signs of flagging.

Never seen Alias or The Wire.

CSI is OK, but very formulaic and repetitive

Battlestar (season one) was surprisingly good. Looking forward to season two.

Nip Tuck - gave up after two episodes.

The West Wing - gave up after season three.

If you want something lighthearted, try Boston Legal. James Spader is surprisingly good (and refreshingly "overweight") at playing a pompous ass...who still gets the girl, takes great pleasure in winding up his boss, and always has a stunningly inappropriate put down to deliver each week, while William Shatner is simply hilarious as Denny Crane. Very, very funny.