Lost all channels on Freeview - did retune but no HD ?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by whiteswan, Jul 27, 2018.

1. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

MY lg tv is approx. 18 months old.

Put tv on this morning - no channels (freeview).

Did a rescan - and lost all HD channels - only sd.

I am in Oldham so maybe Winter Hill transmitter.

Can anybody enlighten me - or do we think it's an aerial fault ?

Dave

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Aerial or connecting cable faults are most probable.

Check all the ones you can get to. The k if any are loose or poorly inserted.
    Remake any plugs that are even slightly suspect.
    Try a different fly lead if of the moulded plug variety. Replace any badly damaged or kinked cables.

Untangle any rats nest of cables and keep HDMI leads well away from the aerial one(s). HDMI-aerial interference is commonplace.

Try manual tuning of the Winter Hill multiplex frequencies, be sure to check if the set chose to use to use the Welsh Moel-y-Parc ones off the side / back of your aerial. Digital UK - Missing channels or wrong news service?

Many problems are just down to dodgy connections that work loose over time as things heat up/expand and cool down/contract.

3. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thank you for that...……...I did a rescan approx. 5 mins ago and all back - very strange ??

Are there any tests happening ?

Dave

4. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
  5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    The problem I find with Down Detector, is that it's just a long list of people who are having problems with their tuning, usually to do with atmospherics, and nothing to do with actual transmitter faults. Furthermore, I have not seen any fixes for any of the posts.

Only on sensible forums like this do you get to the nub of a likely problem, like the recent shift of MPXs on Crystal Palace, Rowridge etc., that in some circumstances, required upgrading the aerial from (say) a Gp A to a WB or similar.

There is even one banging on about loss of iPlayer. What the hell has that got to do with Freeview?

6. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Winter Hill is fully duplicated (for BBC and the BBC HD mux at least):
    - on transmitters (one in use one in standby ready to (automatically) take over.
    - on programme feeds to the site
    - on transmit antennas (main and reserve) also auto-switching in fault conditions.
    - two mains supplies incoming and generators to back up failure of both

You'd be very very unlucky to try tuning as one of the switching events happened (which might glitch reception if viewing)...

Even fairly major engineering works at these main sites are designed to permit broadcasts to continue in 99% of cases (with reduced redundancy of course).

But an 'off air' fault at the Winter Hill transmitter site is one that has been designed out to the best of human ability.

Most likely is:
    1) weather-related interference - but that is also pretty unlikely based on the predictions for an Oldham Post Office - due to the current high pressure systems over the UK
    2) local interference of some sort (cranes on building sites or similar - cruise ships docking cause problems in some places)
    3) something has fixed itself as there's been a change in temperature (expansion and contraction).

BBC Reception Advice has an interactive transmitter checker for current and historic faults... Ukfreetv, for all its issues wrt accuracy, trawls that BBC site for faults every day (if not more often). Never heard of let alone use the downdetector site ;)

7. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I had to retune today, as per notification on screen (Black hill), and have 4 TV's around the house, plus PVR's. No problems with 3, but the main one Samsung, and the You view box connected to it, is missing the HD channels above 5HD. Signal strength not great, around 50%, with 100% quality, but have always had good picture with same figures.

8. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    The DVB-T2 'temporary' COM7 & 8 have moved from freq.ch 32 & 35 up to f.ch. 55 & 56 in a single frequency network with other UK transmitters. Powers have stayed same and are (at 46/48 kW) only a tad over 3dB down on the other 6 muxes (100 kW).

Those frequencies may be outwith the bandwidth of your existing aerial; or just (being higher frequencies with the attendant extra losses) thety are now just below the digital cliff edge.
    50% signal is around the cliff edge danger zone for most receivers... 60% is preferable.

Presumably there's an amplified distribution system in use? Details of existing aerial (or aerials) how they feed the different TVs and make/model/claimed gain of any amplifiers (aka boosters) may help us advise on best next steps. A bit more gain, perhaps a masthead (or launch) amp plus passive splitting would be the right way?

9. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have two arials in loft, with no boosters, as signal has never been a problem. We have clear view of Blackbird transmitter, so never envisaged having a signal problem.

10. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Incidentally, can't give any real details at the moment, except that each aerial supplies two sets, because the loft at the moment seems to be a popular holiday resort for wasps, and they don't appear to really like company.

11. Germinator

Germinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    My ariel (not sure where it is located as its just a socket in the wall that plugs in the cable) is served by Blackhill would never get any COM 7 channels i.e BBC HD 107 etc, but after the change yesterday after a retune I received all the channels I would not get . They would give a great quality/signal strength, but this morning all the channels that I would previously not receive now have a very poor signal strength and they now cut off every 3 seconds.

12. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have tried removing aerial cable to both tv and YouView box, doing a retune that wipes everything out. I then reconnected and repeated, but still no HD above 105.

13. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Black Hill ;) originally a Group B transmitter (... f.ch. 35 to 53 so 55 & 56 will be received with a reduced / lower signal level? ATV Stock Aerial Tests
    Need to remove any splitter to see if it fixes by feeding one aerial to the problem room? {Grouped aerial may have Yellow bung in boom arm to identify?}
    It may be the aerial feeding lounge is on longest cable, = more loss than those closer. It may be the aerial is in a 'null spot' for the new frequencies so needing relocating in the loft space a bit (but problem could move to another frequency so small moves and re-check signals of all!).
    That will have to wait until you can rid yourself of wasps.

Do, however, go over the cables and connections you can get to for the problem room. Swap fly-leads, re-make any hand-made plugs and sockets, ensure they are firmly in the sockets and not loose. Keep hdmi and aerial cables well apart (even try a different hdmi). Sometimes hdmi and aerial cables cross-couple interference, and lots of reception problems are caused by dodgy connections.

Sounds like signal overload or hdmi-aerial cable interference.
    Check over cables as above...
    Is it your own house or a block of flats or similar with a communal aerial?

14. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thank you Rodders53 for suggestions, and the main one that I was up in the loft to do, was to switch the cables. I still don't really understand why this has happened on latest retune, as my previous one just a couple of weeks ago for Quest HD, picked it up with no problem. Absolutely nothing in the house has changed since then, but no Quest HD etc now.

15. Germinator

Germinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    Hello there, its a semi-detached house, there is an aerial wall socket in the living room, dont have a clue where the cable leads too as there is no cable running outside the brickwork. I have connected up one of thoese Signal Boosters and everything seems okay now. With signal overload can you lower that by adding one of those addons that virgin media use to lower power levels?

16. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Quest HD is carried on the COM 8 multiplex. That mux moved from being broadcast on the channel 35 frequency to channel 56 on Wednesday 5th September. So much higher than any other from Black Hill. Your previous scan for the Quest HD TV channel happened while it was still transmitted on frequency ch. 35. Now your aerial isn't providing enough signal for the TV to receive it on 56...
    DO try / check the aerial wiring. The one time I had big issues with HD reception it was due to a 'tugged' hand-made aerial lead {while rearranging my AV cabinet}. A re-make fixed things

A booster (amplifier) fixing things indicates it was marginal 'cliff edge' signal.
    Not the ideal place to amplify (should be near as possible to the aerial) but if it works reliably then no harm done.

Look on your house outside for an aerial... If not there it will (should be) in the loft. If not te end of the cable in the wall is likely to be (but with nothing attached). Commonly found in new builds.

Yes the VM attenuator would work - but it is not needed as you have too little signal. {Just your description of the issue was more like overload then lack of signal.}

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  17. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Have just taken the easy option, and purchased a booster, and fitted it. Now 60% and all the channels, so for £12, saved a loft expedition.

18. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Hope that 60% is sig strength not quality.;)

19. ronat

ronat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yup permanent 100% quality.