• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lossless vs iTunes vs PS3, an unanswerable question!

bazd13

Standard Member
Sorry to go over old ground, but im struggling to find the answer this one. What I would like is a lossless format to rip all my CD's with that:
  • I can save on my 1TB NAS hard drive with built in Twonky Media
  • Retains all tagging information
  • My PS3 will recognise when accessing the NAS
  • iTunes will recognise when accessing from the NAS and easily convert to a quality format for my iPhone 3GS
Problems I have come across so far include:
  • PS3 wont play FLAC files
  • Wav files wont retain tagging information
  • Apple Lossless wont play on PS3 and are a little restrictive for futureproofing my archive
Any help appreciated as im at a dead end!

spl23

Depending on the implementation of Twonky on your NAS, it may be able to transcode one format to another in real time - so you could use Apple Lossless and get Twonky to convert to WAV for the PS3, or FLAC and get Twonky to convert to ALAC for iTunes.

It's non-trivial to configure - google "twonky transcode" and see what you can find. It would require the processor in your NAS to be powerful enough to manage the transcoding, of course.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom