Lossless stereo audio on PS3

ralphmalph

Established Member
Reaction score
Does the PS3 support a lossless audio format. I am looking to rip my cds to the PS3 hard drive and then use the optical out into my dac.

So I know it does not support flac but does it support another lossless audio stereo format.

it supports sacd and thats about as close as ya gonna get to lossless audio. it wont save normal compressed music cd's as it will compress it even futher as a mp3 format.

It supports WAV, MP3, AAC and ATRAC i think. I mostly use MP3 myself though.

Not yet it doesn't.

I'm using .flac which is served by Twonky Media v4.4 on a Buffalo Terastation NAS. I am using the .flac to .wav transcoder plug in which works perfectly to true DLNA devices, such as a Roku Soundbridge or Squeezebox. Unfortunately, the PS3 seems to see the filename being streamed (.flac) and not the transcoded stream (.wav).

I would hope that a future firmware release supports lossless audio such as flac and vorbis, but until then, my Roku remains my audio client and the PS3 my picture and video client.

Pete

All my music files are on external HDD copied as WMA lossless. The PS3 will not recognise them. It plays back WAV at 48/16 (good) and will encode a CD in ATRAC so-called "lossless" (is it?). Unfortunately, if you copy the ATRAC file to another device eg USB stick and try to play it back on your computer, it will not play, or if you try to "back-up" to CD ditto...Sony is very protective of its codec.

The wikipedia entry for ATRAC says that even though there is an ATRAC lossless codec the PS3 does not support it.

it supports sacd and thats about as close as ya gonna get to lossless audio. it wont save normal compressed music cd's as it will compress it even futher as a mp3 format.

Music CDs aren't compressed as such - they may be lower quality (i.e. use a lower sampling rate and fewer bits to sample) than higher quality systems - but they don't use any form of compression. They record 44,100,000 pairs of 16 bit audio samples every second, as just that with no data compression and no psychoacoustic compression either.

The PS3 supports WAV files - which can be made losslessly from CDs (i.e. 44.1kHz sampling at 16bits in stereo) - though I think this is the only lossless format it supports?

AFAIK the PS3 doesn't support Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless or FLAC - which all use data compression to reduce the size compared to a WAV file, but recreate an identical result on replay (i.e. they are, like ZIP, a lossless compression) They don't use lossy compression.

The normal MP3 and AAC compression systems are NOT lossless, they are lossy, and although at high data rates can deliver good quality audio - the recreated audio is not a bit for bit copy of the source.

Following upon the above: the PS3 supports WAV at 48/16 as well as 44. The menu gives you that option, the "best" that you can expect I assume.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom