lossless / HQ archiving

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by cynic-al, May 1, 2007.

1. cynic-al

cynic-al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    About to get an ipod, keen to rip everything I have at high quality for use in car, kitchen etc as well as being lazy with proper hi fi.

Can anyone tell me what average size an album is under Apple's lossless format? Are there other formats worth considering?

2. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Consider FLAC. It's generally more widely used natively in hi-fi components than ALAC.

Both provide the same sound quality and (roughly) file size.

10 CD's would take about 4.5 Gb of space.

3. cynic-al

cynic-al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ta. sounds like the compression is only anout 30-40% then, and I'd get 70 odd albums on 30g?

Would 320kbs mps sound much worse, or is there an in between compromise? (I am a former audiophile, but the whole point of this exercise is convenience as long as quality is not rubbish - it's more for car/kitchen use than "serious listening")

4. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I recently decided to rip all of my CDs in the FLAC format for storage on an external drive and I then used Media Monkey to convert the FLAC files to 320kbs for playback on my Ipod. The MP3s sound great and if a better format comes out in the future it'll just be a matter of batch converting the FLACs to that new format.

I did toy with the idea of playing the FLACs back on my Ipod but that would have ment having to install an alternative firmware such as Rockbox plus I wanted to be able to hold as much music as possible on my Ipod so I didn't bother in the end.

5. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    personally, I also archive in FLAC but use dbpoweramp to re-encode to VBR mp3 via the LAME.dll.

Using the High Quality (extreme V2) settings, you get an addition 20-30% reduction in file size over 320 CBR without 9to my ears) any reduction in sound quality and they play fine on a 2G nano.

320 CBR wasted a lot of space while VBR tries to make the best use of it.

G

6. cynic-al

cynic-al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ta. just to be clear, I want to rip stuff to the ipod, not mess around with firmware, not put it anywhere else, have a decent sound and not necessarily "hi fi" though not something you're going to not enjoy casual listening to.

7. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    In that case it'd probably be best if you rip one track a few times at different settings and then see which you prefer quality/size wise.

8. cynic-al

cynic-al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    makes sense..but I am thinking I don't need ultimate quality for the hi fi as I'll have all the cd's there. Think I'll just go for the 30gB model and use 320 kbs VBR...the MX5's engine is pretty loud!

9. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    If it is purely for that use then 320 kbps will be fine. However be warned; a lot of us started doing that (ripping into lossy) and when we started to really get into digital music, had to rip the whole lot again into lossless.

As other's have pointed out, once the file is in a lossless format it can act as a 'backup' and can be batch converted into any lossy format you wish without having to re-rip the entire CD collection again.

With the cost of external USB drives falling there's little need to worry about storage capacity.

10. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Matt's bang on as usual. It's all about Trancoding, and the effect on sound quality when you transcode from one lossy format to another. Trancoding from lossless to lossy is just like ripping the CD again. Save you a lot of time in the future. I never though i would have to, but it bit me on the arse when i discovered the SB3.

It's not so much of an issue if you have 20 CD's, but if you have hundreds ripping can take days, if not weeks. A guy i met spent almost 2 weeks ripping his beloved CD's to 128Kbps. You might as well get it right first time and never need to do it again if you buy a device that another format better suits. But at least MP3 is the most widely supported.

It's not just the low cost of HDD's either. MP3 players have larger and larger storage, internet connections get faster and high quality and excellent sounding equipment becomes more and more affordable. Lossless is the future, or at least a far far bigger part of it. You paid good money for those CD's, get the most from them. Apple iPod will be well over 100gigs and Itunes will be selling lossless music within 2 years, mark my words :)

11. cynic-al

cynic-al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cheers. May well archive to lossless on HD, but went for a 30gB ipod, £144 from jessops after discount code and quidco

12. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    A couple of daft questions.

I'm currently about to rip a load of my CDs to a PS, storing on a 400gb external HDD.

Does it take longer to rip a CD if you're doing it in lossless than if you're doing it to lower bit-rate mp3?

Will my PC run slower if the 400gb HDD is 300gb full?

Cheers.

Steve W

13. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Not really, possibly quicker with lossless (cant remember, having a blond day).

And no, you wont notice any difference.

14. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    It can be a bit quicker ripping to lossless as the PC isn't losing as much data when it's compressing the file as when it's compressing to lossy formats, however, on most modern PC's I think you'll be hard pushed to notice any difference.

Your PC will most likely run slower as the internal drive fills, but if you're talking about the external drive, then no, it shouldn't make a difference to the speed of the PC.

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    This is something I always used to wonder about too, however now that I'm constantly trying to free up space I can safely say there's been no dip in the PC's performance.