Lossless Audio Worth It?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by lawrencecraig, Dec 28, 2011.

1. lawrencecraig

lawrencecraig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just a quick question from me:

I have a 3D tv and an 5.1 Onkyo HTX-22HD (not able to pass through 3d or do ARC) setup. I am wondering if the DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD is worth losing now I have to connect my 3D bruray player via HDMI to the TV and go optical to the AVR?

I have the bog standard speakers and my home theater isn't really a special layout/construction. I am trying to decide if its worth it. Also how much material actually uses the lossless codecs? Not sure if I will be able to tell the difference now I have to stick to plain DTS and DD.

Thanks for the help.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    Very very few Blu rays come without a lossless track , at least very few of the ones I own do , and yes , to me it would be dealbreaker to lose it.

I certainly wouldnt be willing to lose it for 3D , which to me is a nausea inducing gimmick , but there you go.

There are players out there with dual hdmi inputs , for connecting to HDMI 1.3 amps by the way. There is also the option of a 1 in 2 out HDMI distribution box , which can be had very cheaply these days , so theres no real reason to be losing the lossless codecs at all.

3. lawrencecraig

lawrencecraig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. All I really do is watch avatar in 3d and play ps3 in 3d. One of those hdmi splitters, the ones that have EDID management costs £100+. Is lossless that noticeable over lossy with a £400 theatre system?