Lossless audio to Receiver & 1440p/120hz to TV with 1 HDMI output

Alster370

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, need some help again. Goal - Lossless audio to Receiver & 4k/60hz, 1440p/120hz to TV

On my old PC I was using the integrated graphics to send HDMI audio to my receiver, and the main graphics card HDMI to send video to the TV. I have a new PC, but ive kept the old graphics card for now. Unfortunately the new PC doesn't have integrated graphics so I dont know how to get two separate signals to my TV and retriever. It doesnt have optical either, although optical isnt lossless anyway.

Unfortunately my old graphics card has only one HDMI, all three display-port outputs dont work (DP to HDMI would be obvious solution otherwise), I have my monitor connected by DVI so that isnt an issue.

Why dont I connect to the Amp then from Amps TV out to TV? - receiver (Sony sony str-dn860) doesn't support 4:4:4 at 4k/60hz, only supports 4:4:2. This means the TV wont enable UHD colour, which in turn means it wont accept 1440p signals, or 120hz signals, not that the receiver supports them anyway.

Why dont I connect to the TV (Samsung NU8000) then to receiver? The TV only supports 2.0, with 5.1 on Dolby digital, so all those DTS soundtracks are ruined.

Short of buying a new graphics card to get my display-ports back, buying a new TV to get more pass-through support, or buying a receiver that supports more resolutions and 4:4:4, what are my options?

I thought of a HDMI splitter, but im not sure how windows will respond to it. Because if it recognizes it as the TV, it wont output lossless audio, and if it recognizes it as the receiver, it wont output the niche resolutions the TV supports?

Any help is appreciated.

That is a quandary.

I am guessing you don't want to buy a new AVR?

You should be able to get two outputs from your PC - you say that your new PC doesn't have integrated graphics, so does that mean that is does have a discrete graphics card? Do you know which one? What outputs does it have?

And, how come all three display ports are broken on the old graphics card, could it be a driver issue, or an adapter issue?

That is a quandary.

I am guessing you don't want to buy a new AVR?

You should be able to get two outputs from your PC - you say that your new PC doesn't have integrated graphics, so does that mean that is does have a discrete graphics card? Do you know which one? What outputs does it have?

And, how come all three display ports are broken on the old graphics card, could it be a driver issue, or an adapter issue?

Thanks for replying, I don't want to buy a new AVR as there isn't really anything wrong with the one I've got now.

The integrated graphics on the old pc where inside the processor. This new processor is all chip and doesn't have integrated graphics.

Card is an old flagship, the gtx 980 ti, outputs dvid, hdmi and 3 display ports. I think the dp have failed because its 6 years old know, not uncommon on these cards aswell.

So, the DP ports are definitely broken, meaning you have DVI and HDMI working? How about HDMI for audio to the amp and DVI for video to the TV?

So, the DP ports are definitely broken, meaning you have DVI and HDMI working? How about HDMI for audio to the amp and DVI for video to the TV?

Im fairly sure yeah. I think they stopped working a while ago, ive had this card so long I probably forgot.

DVI wouldnt work for the TV, as it need 4K RGB at 60hz compatibility, I believe it can only support 30hz at 4K. Shame as then I could just use a splitter on the HDMI to hook up the monitor and AVR.

Im fairly sure yeah. I think they stopped working a while ago, ive had this card so long I probably forgot.

DVI wouldnt work for the TV, as it need 4K RGB at 60hz compatibility, I believe it can only support 30hz at 4K. Shame as then I could just use a splitter on the HDMI to hook up the monitor and AVR.
I have got audio out of DVI before and I think it was on a GTX 960, so that might work - DVI to the amp and HDMI to the TV?

I have got audio out of DVI before and I think it was on a GTX 960, so that might work - DVI to the amp and HDMI to the TV?

Hmm seems like although DVI doesn't support audio it can carry it as it has an identical pin layout to HDMI.

Seems like it can carry lossless 7.1 audio aswell. So DVI to hdmi, then split the hdmi to monitor and AVR. Only needs to support 1440p 60hz max then. Worth a try for a tenner.

I have been using the STR-DN860 for a few years now. Not connected to a TV but a 4K monitor. I send my audio to a SONY STR-DN860 via HDMI and the picture to my 4K Monitor using Display Port. The DP connection is using 4:4:4 so I get a very good picture. I find HDMI sub standard, colour depth for DP is 10 bpc and HDMI 8 bpc. My AVR does not have DP connections. This works well for me but has some drawbacks. With HDMI and DP video from my GPU (AMD RX480) Windows thinks I have two screens (which is fine), I don't need a second screen so I clone the two video outputs (via Windows) and I can forget that. As DP is v1.2 it does not support HDCP 2.2, am waiting for DP v1.4 for a new monitor and GPU card which supports DP v1.4 but at present are very rare and expensive. I have also used Optical to AVR but obviously that has limitations. Not sure this helps you in any way but works for me for now.
AMD HDMI res.JPG
AMD DP res.JPG

Last edited:
HDFury have one or two devices which will split the HDMI signal into Video + Audio (with dummy video) - the AVR key is the least cost option and supports, 4K60 4:4:4 8b, 4K60 4:2:2 12b, 4K120 4:2:0 8b or 8K30 4:2:0 8b.

Joe

HDFury have one or two devices which will split the HDMI signal into Video + Audio (with dummy video) - the AVR key is the least cost option and supports, 4K60 4:4:4 8b, 4K60 4:2:2 12b, 4K120 4:2:0 8b or 8K30 4:2:0 8b.

Joe

Bit too pricey for me Joe.

fxv300 - Unfortunately the DP ports on my 980ti dont work anymore so I cant use that solution, which is what I do a few years ago, with a club 3DDP to HDMI adapter.

Ive also noticed there is one problem with splitting the DVI-D To dual hdmi's, its going to cap the resolution at 1080p, as there doesnt seem to be any DVI-D to HDMI adapter that will do more than 1080p. So whilst the solution may work, my monitor is going to be blurry.

Hmm had a think. How about DVID to twin displayport? Monitor can use displayport fine, and then use a displayport to hdmi converter for the AVR? the adapters seem to support 4k x 2k resolutions, and both displayport and DVI support lossess 7.1 audio.

Hi,
What about replacing the graphics card with one with two hdmi outs, such as a used gtx 1080 or 1080ti?
Edit: they still look pricey, unless you use it for gaming as well though...

Hi,
What about replacing the graphics card with one with two hdmi outs, such as a used gtx 1080 or 1080ti?
Edit: they still look pricey, unless you use it for gaming as well though...
I Did end up replacing the card, managed to snap up a rx 6800, only has 1 HDMI but at least the display-ports work. AVR working fine with a DP to HDMI adapter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom