Loss of video playing Dolby Vision content with Sony STR-DN1080

whiskeycola

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Each time I try and play any Dolby Vision content via Plex using my Nvidia shield which is connected to my Sony STR-DN1080 AVR I intermittently keep getting no signal found on my TV but the audio carries on playing. As this is intermittent the only way I can get the video to play again is if I change the TV source to something else and back again, and only then the video appears on the TV and plays fine. It looks like there could be a handshake issue somewhere. This problem only seems to be playing Dolby Vision content. If I play anything in HDR (BT2020) that always works fine.

To troubleshoot I am using HDMI 2.1 certified HDMI Cables and I did buy a new one to see if that would eliminate the problem but it didn't. I also tried changing to different inputs on the amp but again I still had the same issue. As a final test I decided to plug the Nvidia Shield directly into a free HDMI port on my LG CX TV and send the audio down to my AMP using eARC and that appeared to have resolved everything. I no longer get any signal loss when I try and play Dolby Vision content. I could leave it like this but I would actually prefer the Shield to be connected directly to the AMP as my LG CX TV will not support or passthrough DTS audio tracks over eARC.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem and manage to find a fix?

Thanks

There was an issue on the LG CX with Dolby Vision not working if FreesSync was enabled on the relevant HDMI port. According to Vincent @ HDTVTest this has just been fixed by the latest CX firmware update.

There was an issue on the LG CX with Dolby Vision not working if FreesSync was enabled on the relevant HDMI port. According to Vincent @ HDTVTest this has just been fixed by the latest CX firmware update.

I have FreeSync turned off on my TV and firmware is up to date. I never have a issue with Dolby Vision when the Shield is connected directly to the TV. It's only when it goes via the Sony amp.

I figured out the problem. My HDMI out on my AMP was set to HDMI A+B. I changed this to just output to HDMI A and no more signal losses.

Found the info from:

When you connect two Dolby Vision-compatible TVs to the receiver and select [HDMI A+B], Dolby Vision content is output in the HDR10 or SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) format. To enjoy Dolby Vision content as it is, connect only one Dolby Vision-compatible TV to the receiver, or select either [HDMI A] or [HDMI B].

Hi all, just got a fire cube and every time I press the home button my Sony it displays the input banner across a third of the screen - anyone know a way to hide this?

I see a way to hide the volume as well but I want to see that

edit: also i used to have on my harmony a way to change Dolby / Neural X etc - how do I do that in the standard remote?

Hi all, just got a fire cube and every time I press the home button my Sony it displays the input banner across a third of the screen - anyone know a way to hide this?

I see a way to hide the volume as well but I want to see that

edit: also i used to have on my harmony a way to change Dolby / Neural X etc - how do I do that in the standard remote?
If you are referring to the Sony remote - you can toggle between Dolby & Neural X upmixing by repeatedly pressing the “Movie” button (just above the arrow buttons). The “2CH/ Multi” button toggles between AFD, Direct, 2 channel stereo & multi speaker stereo modes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom