Question loss of tv channels of Freeview

firebirdlondon

Novice Member
Like many people recently, last Thursday 22nd March I lost reception of BBC4 HD, BBC News HD plus all channels above 107-200. Also lost Forces TV. TV just showed weak signal etc. I checked connections and all OK. Tried a retune and was amazed that the situation was now worse with all the extra channels also missing. Unpowered TV, disconnected aerial rebooted with mains only on and cleared memory. Then with aerial reconnected rescanned again. Same result. Went to my Humax HD recorder and same problem. Loss of channels despite taking back to factory settings and then rescanning. I have checked all connections, even going onto roof to check aerial. My signal strength shows as good on received channels and I'm located top of Putney Hill with almost line of sight to Crystal Palace transmitter. Have never had this problem before with retunes and now have totally run out of ideas. I now note that when switched to TV selection I only get reception when Humax is also switched on

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I now note that when switched to TV selection I only get reception when Humax is also switched on

Your factory reset likely disabled the setting on your PVR that maintains the passthrough signal when turned off.

This is more a freeview issue so the Digital TV section would likely be more relevant.

Looking around it appears as if the majority of older aerials in the Crystal Palace area are Group A and can't receive the frequencies that the COM7 and COM8 channel groups are currently being switched to nationally (crystal palace switched 3/4 days ago).

The frequency re-arrangements are to clear space for the 4G mobile network. The COM7 and COM8 frequencies are temporary and are expected to be disabled when work is complete:
DTG :: News :: Update on 700 MHz Clearance

In short, you can replace your aerial now to get them back but unless you particularly want them then I wouldn't bother as your current aerial is the best choice in the longer term.

The comments here suggest the Freeview Advice line might be able to provide help with replacement aerials if you want to go down that route.

Last edited:

firebirdlondon

Novice Member
Thanks ever so much for reply. Some developments this afternoon. Pal of mine called round and after cleaning and checking all cable connections we took the Humax back to factory settings. Then connected up a small indoor log periodic antenna and scanned for channels. Now 167 logged in rather than the previous 155. These now included BBC4HD and plus Forces TV [Ch.97 I think]. Considering my signal strength on BBC4 HD now registered at about 40% in a poor reception position as againt 80% up on the roof I thought this was a pretty good result. So will now be getting a decent outdoor log periodic and hopefully get it hooked up later on this week weather permitting!. Whether BBC News HD also returns with the extra signal strength who knows but two out of three regained is a good result. Thinking back about my current roof top aerial I can't even remember when I installed it so it's definitely ancient!. My real complaint about this time wasting episode is the fact that whoever is responsible for these changes saw fit not to inform viewers of this possible situation prior to the event. It just happened. The very fact that Freeview will offer help with replacing the aerial seems to confirm that they accept responsibility for the problems caused. I'll post again after instalation of the new aerial and stuff Freeview's help!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Our switch was a while ago now but I'm trying to remember if we got a leaflet through the post. We definitely had one for the 800Mhz clearance a couple of years ago, but the older aerials here aren't affected the same way as your area by 700Mhz so I don't think there was one. It definitely sounds like someone has messed up somewhere if you weren't warned though.

A design like a log periodic that picks up a wide range of frequencies is more at risk of picking up interference from the 4G signals when they get turned on than your current aerial. It is only a small risk and didn't affect many people at 800Mhz though. (it also depends on the exact one you pick).

It will also be weaker for the rest of the TV channels, but if you can pick them up on an indoor aerial it'll be plenty strong enough.

In short, go for it.

Khazul

Same here - lost BBC news HD which is about the only broadcast channel we ever watch and even then it is occasional, so hardly seems worth the effort and cost to replace the aerial if that is what is needed.

Very F'ing annoying!

firebirdlondon

Novice Member
Annoying is an understatement!. Just love the way the authorities ride rough shod over everyone and damn the consequences. Must admit most of my TV watching is Film on DVD but I do watch the news when I've got time and a rolling news channel is useful as I'm not always about at 6 o'clock or whatever. Luckily for me a new aerial is no big deal as I've got a flat roof with access from within the house so new aerial will be up and running in 30 minutes and I can do it myself. However for others maybe not so fortunate it means an aerial rigger and no doubt a bill for £100-150. What a wonderful world we're living in!

redmarkred

We lost CbeebiesHD last week which is a big deal for the kids! Reading the previous posts I don't know if this means we need a new roof aerial or will it come back eventually.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

firebirdlondon

Novice Member
Assuming that you have done a program retune after clearing the memory with no improvement I doubt it will come back. Probably the same problem I've encountered and a new Log Periodic type aerial needed. My original aerial was pretty ancient and would not receive all of the new channels. Am waiting for mine to arrive. I'm lucky having a flat roof with inside access and can easily install the new aerial myself. Suggest you give a call to one of the suppliers advertising on eBay for advice regarding your area and transmitter especially if you can install it yourself. Internet adverts for local suppliers useless as they are only interested if they are doing a complete installation, not in supplying just the aerial. I shall post again one I have installed new aerial. Good luck!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
We lost CbeebiesHD last week which is a big deal for the kids! Reading the previous posts I don't know if this means we need a new roof aerial or will it come back eventually.

Assuming you're on the Crystal palace transmitter then it is likely to be the same issue. Cbeebies HD is part of the Com8 channel group along with BBC Four HD.

You should still have the normal non-HD Cbeebies channel on #202.

It will come back eventually, but it might take two years.

redmarkred

Thanks both! I'll buy a Log Periodic type aerial then and see if that brings it back. I can fit it myself no problem.

firebirdlondon

Novice Member
New Log Periodic aerial arrived yesterday and just finished installing it on the roof. Took under 30 minutes. After retune of TV and both HD recorders, all channels returned with signal strength showing just under 100%. Would like to recommend Unispectra aerials of Fareham, Hants. Rang them on Tuesday and incredibly helpful. In fact talked me down from the aerial I had selected as not necessary for my location due to strong signal strength and sold me a cheaper one which arrived yesterday!. Give them a ring if you need help and a new aerial. Tel:02392984254. Thanks to EndlessWaves for initial response and pointing me in the right direction. Peace [and all TV channels] now restored!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom