Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Loss of sound

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mab25, May 14, 2003.

1. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have tried capturing video using a number of packages from a canon mv600i via firewire.

The video seems to capture fine, but I seem to lose the sound. Does anybody know what could be the cause of this.

thanks, M.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    When you capture via firewire you should capture both sound and video automatically, but the sound and video are stored on the PC as separate files. If you play a captured file in media player etc then it will only pick up the video (or sound if playing the .wav file). Is this what you are doing?
    Once you convert the footage to the desired format to copy to CD-R or tape etc then the sound and video will be combined again.

Mark.

3. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mab25,

I have to disagree with MarkE19 slightly.!! Normally during capture from DV using firewire video and audio are in the same file. You can check this by checking out the properties of the captured file within windows explorer and click on summary tab. You are saying you are losing sound? Is this when you are trying to play this back in media player or the editing software? If it is in the software please let us know what that is and also basic spec's of your PC please.

cheers for now

Mark T

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Marktheo
    I capture useing Premiere 6.1 and when I go into the folder that has the footage there are 2 files for each name. A windows media player file that is video only and a .wav file that is the audio. Running the video file by double clicking on it it plays back video only. If playing back within Premiere the sound and video play.
    I have several projects on the go at the moment and they are all the same.

Mark.