1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of sound and stuttering picture

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by avonvilla, Jun 11, 2004.

1. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had Sky+ for about a month and i keep getting sound drop outs for a second or so and occasionally also picture stuttering followed by out of sync sound ? Is it a hardware fault or bad signal or ???? help please

2. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I have the same problem would like to hear other opinions.

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As the satelite that beams in the pictures is located in quite an unstable environment, I'm suprised that Sky works as well as it does.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Certainly sounds like the tuners are being fed a poor/weak signal.
    What are the strength/quality readings for the two tuners and what are your recordings like?

5. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one is full strength and one of full quality the other is one of full strength and about 2/3 quality. dont know what you mean about recordings ? they are like i said in the original post ?

6. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was really bad tonight, i usually record everything, anyway on playback i got lots of sound dropping out and some picture stuttering too, sometimes thou when i rewind and plaay again it's fine ? also i tried changing the inputs over and the signal and quality bars remained the same ? hows that ?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You have SKY+ so you have the option of watching recordings or watching live. The original post didn't specify if you were having problems with one or the other or both which is why I asked:)
    A problem with just one might indicate a faulty LNB/cable or tuner and switching the two inputs over might have confirmed this.

Do you have access to a normal digibox to connect to the two LNB cables to check them out?
    If not then I would also consider that it could be an overheating problem, that might explain the intermittent playback issues, does the fan run at all?
    Have you tried a Full System Reset to wipe the disk and start afresh or reloaded the OS, if you ring SKY they will go through these steps before arranging a service call.

If all fails then make full use of the warranty and don't let SKY try to fob you off with a refurbished replacement, you are entitled to a repair of your property or a brand new replacement regardless of what the CS rep says your rights are.

8. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

No dont have access to another box i'm afraid.

I wondered about overheating so moved the box to a better ventilated spot and i'll see what happens in the next few days. The fan does run.

How do you do a reset or a full os reload ?

Thanks

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Software reload...

Hold the backup button down on the box while turn the power off at the wall socket.
    Wait 10 seconds and then turn the power back on WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON and then wait for a message on the screen or all 3 lights on the front of the box to light up, then release the button.
    The new software will take around 10 minutes to download and then the box will reset it self and stay in standby, wait another couple of minutes then turn it on with remote or the button on the box and you should be away.

Full System Reset.. (Warning....wipes the hard drive)
    On the remote..
    Services
    Select
    Then choose Full System Reset.

Both procedures you do at your own risk:)

10. robjohn

robjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    |I am getting the same problem with my sky+ been happening for the last 3 weeks. A sky man is coming out to check the connections on the dish. I am also getting this problems on life broadcasts aswell as recorded, it records the stutters :-(

Do you think that the full reset will sort this out? I am not so sure that it would

11. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks starburst i'll give it a go.

I have had the same problems today although when i watch live the sound is fine but the picture stutters, and when off disk both sound cut out and picture stutter ? Although the fan doesn't appear to be on ? I have set up a desk fan on the box but so far the same problems ?

12. robjohn

robjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmm... The sky man is coming next weekend, the grand prix was well annoying and I actually lost signal on friday when recording jonathan ross

13. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the grand prix was terrable and so was the footie tonight for more than the obvious reason. Also is it me or are the far away shots on the football of terrable quality and pixelation ?

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Not just you, the DS forums are full of complaints tonight about the majority of the ITV1 regional broadcasts via SKY D.
    ITV, the second largest terrestrial broadcaster with a programming budget close on £2billion is too tight to purchase a bit of extra transponder capacity to allow a higher bitrate to be used !
    I watched the game on analogue which thankfully has some regulation in place to deal with picture quality issues.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's possible for both tuners to be faulty but more likely that the there is a problem with the dish/lnb or cable. It doesn't take much misalignment to seriously degrade the recevied image and even the skew on the LNB can affect the signal.
    Since you can record the stutters that appear on a live show then that would indicate the HD system is working correctly.

16. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok tonight i recorded 2 programmes at once, one was fine and the other the usual problem, does that suggest one of the tuners is faulty ?

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Maybe.
    Switch the box off at the mains and swap the LNB cables over and record two programs again or record one and watch it live at the same time.

18. robjohn

robjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also looked at the signal and quality settings on mine after topgear, and these have gone down dramatically from earlier last week. The signal and quality levels on lnb1 are very low 25-30% lnb2 is much higher at around 80%.

:-(

19. nick901

nick901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I too had problems with my sky+, the picture freezes for a second or two but the sound continues :( , very noticeable on F1 & football on ITV last night.
    cheers
    nick

20. K Hayles

K Hayles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was there any out come to this problem? as i now am experiencing the same thing with input 2, i have tried swapping the LNB feeds but its still the same, the only thing i havent tried is a system re-load, does this mean the tuner on input 2 is whacked?

21. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i had a lot of sound dropouts with my pace v2. A box swap solved the problem completely. Mine was a suspected ropey hard drive.

22. Telleron

Telleron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also started experiencing loss of one of the LNB signals (in my case LNB1 is about 10-20% and if I try to record anything I get lots of problems with the sound and picture) :mad: Any idea how to fix it? I have heard that it could be a faulty drive... but wouldn't that affect all recordings? I can record two programs at the same time, and one will be fine (LNB2) and the other very poor (LNB1)

HELP :lease:

23. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes villa, when the camera is shot from a distance ,pixellation is there.